Facebook

ThomGordon

Facebook is what you make it, just like being here is different for different people. The friends you have are the ones you choose to have.

I have an uncle who thinks facebook will cause life as we know it to crumble. He has sons and daughters, (my cousins obviously) and they have kids. I get to keep up with them, see pics of them.......he doesn't. He says they should send him hard copies of the pictures......they should call him on the phone and tell him what they are doing. Well welcome to the real world, not many people even print out pictures these days. His stubbornness is his loss.

Facebook is neither good or bad, it is what you make of it. Can you live without it....sure. Can it be a way to keep in touch with family and friends who are far away? sure. Can it be a waste of time? sure.....what on the internet is not a waste of time?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Chesepeakes_Man

• gundogpa

• ThomGordon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It helps men get hold of their inner female side, with all that gossiping and such.

Facebook and particularly Facebook Groups have compromised and will eventually eliminate traditional boards like UJ. Facebook is the Wal Mart of social media. FWIW the UJ site and board were launched before "The Facebook" was a hungover thought in a college kids head. (2002)

Traditional board software is static and simply cant compete with staffs of programmers and warehouses full of servers or "clouds". And owners with active "public" boards can't afford to compete given monthly server/hosting and bandwidth costs.

We might limp along but the days when boards like this were THE social media venue for upland enthusiasts is over. Particularly compromising is the ability Facebook provides to upload photos and videos seamlessly...with auto sizing and no limits. Posting photos here and most traditional boards is simply a PIA and many people have no patience for it. I understand that.

I truly appreciate the loyalty from the Members who still darken the doorway and pull up a rickety stool at the UJ bar. Those folks and new Members are why I keep the lights on 24/7/365.

Regardless this board still has remarkable activity given the competition from today's powerful social media giants. For every Member who bails I have others waiting for registration to be opened. So the sky isn't falling, yet.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to announce their will be some major changes on UJ early in the new year. Changes that are being forced upon me/us by my host given the antiquated board software. Its quite complicated, and I have been in "negotiations" and researching for the last few months trying to decide the best direction for this online community to take. Stay tuned.

Damn.....I better go find that picture of you yelling at your daughters while fishing and drinking a 1000 pack of bud light before it disappears for good.

There should be a distinction made between a personal Facebook Profile Page and Facebook Groups.

(Also, certainly one gives up a certain amount of "privacy" anywhere they are on the web, but boards like UJ don't glean all your likes and shopping habits and interests to be used for marketing and advertising purposes like FB does)

Generally a Facebook page is a good means to keep in touch with friends and family and current events. Its also good for rolling your eyes and gnashing your teeth at constant political posting and a barrage of ads and solicitous and disingenuous "clickbait" articles. (Google it).

Facebook Groups are basically bulletin boards/discussion forums for all intent and purposes. Its powerful like all of Facebook, and any comparison to a tiny privately owned and maintained upland board like this is insane, yet happens all the time.

Since this is a business (no kidding) Id be a dope to bestow the virtues of Facebook Groups any more than I already have on this Topic, or mention them by name. I am not in the position to promote them here any more than I want the promotion of competing boards/discussion Forums. I belong to a couple Facebook Groups and only occasionally post on one and rarely if ever promote or even mention UJ. Im a poor businessman.

I will add that keeping UJ Ad Sponsors has become harder, given they can reach the entire world on Facebook. Its a marketing conglomerate. That's why I and we should all appreciate our Ad Sponsors who appreciate and support our niche upland community here on UJ.

What is Facebook?

I have an account but am not active.  I did not know /still don't know what I was getting into and now it is too late.  My account is backed off as far as you can take it I am told.  I still get emails daily but I ignore them.

Facebook is what you make of it or what someone else makes of it.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to announce their will be some major changes on UJ early in the new year. Changes that are being forced upon me/us by my host given the antiquated board software. Its quite complicated, and I have been in "negotiations" and researching for the last few months trying to decide the best direction for this online community to take. Stay tuned.

Damn.....I better go find that picture of you yelling at your daughters while fishing and drinking a 1000 pack of bud light before it disappears for good.

Its probably on Facebook somewhere. :D

I have used FB and continue to use FB.  I post a few pictures of the pups and occasionally a bird shot or two.  That said, I can't post pictures of dead animals/birds because some of my friends are anti hunters, but heck they are still friends, just not my close friends.  :)
Chesepeakes_Man

Brad,

When do you suppose this upcoming "Announcement" about UJ will occur ?

Thanks, Dale

I joined FB so that I could follow The Evil Clown's political ramblings. Since following Tim, I have changed my ways thanks to his FB posts and I am now a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, Bible thumping, pro-lifer, that wants to close our borders, arm all of America, and repeal Obamacare. Facebook is great for changing people's minds. You really all should try it.

TNWCC

I tried it and it is a complete invasion of privacy. I absolutely despise it and think it is a real detriment to our society. And it is getting worse every day.

Why are UJers going there ? Because it is the way everyone else in their life is going to FB. The ole' sheeple syndrome.  

Dale

Completely disagree.. I'm on Facebook to keep up with family and friends. Facebook has a ton of different privacy settings that you can adjust to your liking. My profile and pictures are not open to everyone.

Also if you are on the web(like on this forum) your privacy and info is already invaded either you like it or not.

As far as ole sheep syndrome %90 of the people in this country are sheep anyway Facebook or not..

All you have to do is to look at how they live, what they buy and what they eat...

I joined FB so that I could follow The Evil Clown's political ramblings. Since following Tim, I have changed my ways thanks to his FB posts and I am now a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, Bible thumping, pro-lifer, that wants to close our borders, arm all of America, and repeal Obamacare. Facebook is great for changing people's minds. You really all should try it.

TNWCC

Which is one of the great things about UJ, NO politics. For years I hung out at another outdoor site that eventually turned into a sewer of political rants. This a calm place.

Bummer.  I hope things don't change too much.  I don't go to many forums but this is pretty much the smoothest, fastest running one.  Prob. because of the lack of complexity and ads--though I know you'd like more ads.

I joined Facebook after my mother died.  It's become hard to find some people due to the fact that many are not listed in a phone book anymore and I was having a hard time tracking down folks I wanted to inform of Mother's passing.

Facebook did allow me to find some of those people but it also allowed people to find me.  I had people from my past, back to high school, contacting me, some just wanting to "Friend" me, some wanting to get together.  Pretty much all of these people were folks I had little to do with back then.

The people from my past that I care about I've stayed in touch with.  Maybe I'm just a cranky old fart but I don't have a lot of desire to hang out with people I wasn't even friends with 30 years ago.

So I killed my Facebook page.  I think that's the term.

There is an active southern upland FB group I've thought about joining but I haven't looked into how I'd do that and avoid having my info out there and being contacted by goofballs.  Many of the people there are also members here.

I wonder how long FB will be viable.  Young people these days, those I know under 35 anyway, are resolutely not using it.  Of course that skews the FB demographic toward people with more economic power, but as time goes on I don't see those younger people aging into using FB.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Zuckerberg's "gift" of Facebook stock might not end up being all it's cracked up to be unless they somehow adapt.

TNWCC

hahahaha, perfect

facebook is a cult ;)

I was on it for about 2 weeks and almost immediately I started getting contact requests from old girlfriends, and people I had no interest in seeing again, my wife did not like this one bit so i closed the acct

That said, she uses it and stays in touch with our families and its fun to hear what they are up to on a regular basis.

FWIW. The younger crowd has gravitated to Instagram since Facebook became populated with their parents and old farts. Just saying...

You should have seen the looks on my three college kids' faces when I told them at Christmas that I checked their Twitter feeds via the internet.  Pure astonishment, followed by slack-jawed realization:  Busted!  It was a priceless parent moment.

I may land on Facebook very soon to keep up with some folks that I hunt/fish/tell lies with.  There's a FB group somewhere that they use extensively, and I'm the only one not there, so they're making me feel like the ostracized kid that nobody talks to. (It's not a new sensation for me, to be honest.)

I'll try it out.  I figure the only personal information FB  can exploit is whatever I willingly put out there in the first place.

Facebook and particularly Facebook Groups have compromised and will eventually eliminate traditional boards like UJ. Facebook is the Wal Mart of social media. FWIW the UJ site and board were launched before "The Facebook" was a hungover thought in a college kids head. (2002)

Traditional board software is static and simply cant compete with staffs of programmers and warehouses full of servers or "clouds". And owners with active "public" boards can't afford to compete given monthly server/hosting and bandwidth costs.

We might limp along but the days when boards like this were THE social media venue for upland enthusiasts is over. Particularly compromising is the ability Facebook provides to upload photos and videos seamlessly...with auto sizing and no limits. Posting photos here and most traditional boards is simply a PIA and many people have no patience for it. I understand that.

I truly appreciate the loyalty from the Members who still darken the doorway and pull up a rickety stool at the UJ bar. Those folks and new Members are why I keep the lights on 24/7/365.

Regardless this board still has remarkable activity given the competition from today's powerful social media giants. For every Member who bails I have others waiting for registration to be opened. So the sky isn't falling, yet.

I hope any actual migration to new board software take into account the popularity of mobile devices.

Home broandband use is actually slightly decreasing, given phones can do much of what people need the internet to do.

There exists BB software compatible with mobile apps, like tapatalk, that easily allow for viewing and participating from a smart phone or tablet and this compatibility may help drive viewership/participation.

Just a thought.