Facebook

ThomGordon

I joined FB so that I could follow The Evil Clown's political ramblings. Since following Tim, I have changed my ways thanks to his FB posts and I am now a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, Bible thumping, pro-lifer, that wants to close our borders, arm all of America, and repeal Obamacare. Facebook is great for changing people's minds. You really all should try it.

TNWCC

"like"

Facebook has a "LIKE" Button:-)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Chesepeakes_Man

• gundogpa

• ThomGordon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It helps men get hold of their inner female side, with all that gossiping and such.

PartridgeCartridge

FB is simply a business model that works.

It is also a significant competitor to the archaic concept of BB's.

In execution, it will eventually crush the sole proprietor model very much in the same way that Uber and similar services have decimated their competitor's unrealistic value of market share and value. IMO, this will happen much sooner than later.

There will be some unique, cottage/boutique style BB's that will survive this trend but only if they offer some very significant value proposition to their clientele.

Survival in that competitive business environment will be the litmus test for an owner's creative ability and intellect.

I hope that UJ can weather that storm.

I'll admit I signed up on Facebook mostly to read a couple different groups. However, I am reluctant to participate for personal reasons. For those of you that use Facebook or for that matter have switched to Facebook bird dog groups vs the UJ I have one question. Why?

I joined FB for the same reason, but its getting tiresome with all the political BS.

i live out in the sticks and my internet is painfully slow with sporadic success, so posting pics on the UJ can be a chore sometimes. With FB its almost instantaneous and Somedays I just dont feel like spending the ten  minutes it takes for me to post a couple pics on UJ when i can do it in a blink with facebook. This is my internet providers fault not the UJ, since photo bucket isnt that big a hassle with high speed internet.

Other than that, if I had to choose I would choose the UJ without a second thought.

I joined FB so that I could follow The Evil Clown's political ramblings. Since following Tim, I have changed my ways thanks to his FB posts and I am now a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, Bible thumping, pro-lifer, that wants to close our borders, arm all of America, and repeal Obamacare. Facebook is great for changing people's minds. You really all should try it.

TNWCC

"like"

Facebook has a "LIKE" Button:-)

LOL John you do like to push Brad's buttons!

The Like button on BB's actually provides an important function. People tend to want to have a large number of "LIKES" associated to their post count and are more careful in what they post.

I disagree that everything will go to FB, the BB's will hang around for quite awhile if they are knowledge based. In the beginning we had usernet and everything was email chains. Then private dial up BB systems and followed by AOL and CompuServe. The First Class Bulletin Board was state of the art at the time. It was one of the first groupware web based BB software but too early for the time, and not enough followers and users to create a central repository.

Social media interfaces like FB and Yammer have not gained a foothold in corporate environments in large part due to lack of use as a knowledge management tool. And FB also lacks that, it is more of flash and it is gone. The interface leaves a lot to be desired if you want to do an information pull. Google excels at that as does the better BB systems which incorporates a decent search engine\interface.

Once trapshooter.com updated from the popcorn style BB to a more modern board about 6 years ago that left UJ as the most archaic software for a BB still in existance from what I have seen. And I do knowledge and information management for a living. Be interesting to see what develops.

Gunflint Charlie

Survival in that competitive business environment will be the litmus test for an owner's creative ability and intellect.

Don't know about this "litmus test" thing ... seems to me even very smart and creative efforts may not save products based on obsolete technology for very long.

I like FB for keeping in touch with friends. It's not too difficult to filter out most notifies for stuff you don't want to see. You choose your friends and exposure to what they post. I agree it can be annoying to be tagged in someone else's pics.

But I've not found enough to like in FB groups to spend much time with them.

Jay

FWIW. The younger crowd has gravitated to Instagram since Facebook became populated with their parents and old farts. Just saying...

So true!!!

I don't think the "Like" button causes people to be careful with what they post on FB. I also think its an instant gratification tool that replaces actually spending the time to comment. Its also a manipulative device used for marketing. Hey I use it too, but sparingly and only if I really like something, not in response to the 100th photo of the same dog.

UJ and even many of the more advanced board software are still that: "software" with their capabilities and functions "built" or programmed in. If some sort of "Like" button has been programmed in or is an add on you can purchase, all good, if not, its not available unless you want a programmer to hack the software. Not good. Facebook has an army of programmers screwing with functions all the time. I can't even count how many times in the past Members have suggested I add a function they saw somewhere else, a function that I simply don't have available wth the BB software. I can explain it through PM and some never quite get it.

The mobile unfriendliness and photo uploading deficiencies are the two major problems with this board. New software can help with both, but I can purchase the most advanced and powerful board software available and it will never compare to Facebook capabilities. Similar animals but vastly different.

DennisMcFeely

I would hope there's room for both FB and specialized forums but who knows.  I learned a ton and made lasting friendships here.

UJ is great because the focus is on upland hunting and FB for me is compelling for the ability to keep up with distant friends and relatives easily.  It also reminds me to call them on their birthdays.  :D

On the photo part I agree.  It's too easy to post photos to FB or Instagram right from your phone.  I can get a whole "album" on FB in short order.  That said, on UJ  I don't worry about anti-hunting people objecting to "hero shots" and the like which I do on FB/Instagram.

Things are getting really interesting now with all the video footing coming out from your average Joe.

Kansas Big Dog
I don't think the "Like" button causes people to be careful with what they post on FB. I also think its an instant gratification tool that replaces actually spending the time to comment. Its also a manipulative device used for marketing. Hey I use it too, but sparingly and only if I really like something, not in response to the 100th photo of the same dog.

UJ and even many of the more advanced board software are still that: "software" with their capabilities and functions "built" or programmed in. If some sort of "Like" button has been programmed in or is an add on you can purchase, all good, if not, its not available unless you want a programmer to hack the software. Not good. Facebook has an army of programmers screwing with functions all the time. I can't even count how many times in the past Members have suggested I add a function they saw somewhere else, a function that I simply don't have available wth the BB software. I can explain it through PM and some never quite get it.

The mobile unfriendliness and photo uploading deficiencies are the two major problems with this board. New software can help with both, but I can purchase the most advanced and powerful board software available and it will never compare to Facebook capabilities. Similar animals but vastly different.

I don't have any problems with UJ's mobility, although I have an older smart phone that has a slide out key board. But, down loading pictures is a PITA. The pics must be downsized and loaded up to Photo Bucket and then linked to UJ. FWIW, if one step could be removed, such as downloading to Photo Bucket, it might make all the difference. Then, all that would need to be done is downsizing to an appropriate size file. Many of us live rural, or semi-rural and our Internet download speeds are not the fastest, or the cheapest. We can downsize our photos without using the internet and downloading smaller files works better anyway.

Another observation is that people only have a certain amount of time to play around on the web. When UJ and this board were launched way back in 2002, it was one of few games (BB's) in town. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram WEREN'T EVEN CREATED YET. A lot has changed on the interweb in the last 14 years. When at one time an upland enthusiasts' only real form of social media was this board or similar boards, now there are a sea of "distractions" to soak up web time, particularly Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and the plethora of Blogs. I get it, this Luddite only got an iPhone less than a year ago. Viewing UJ is about impossible on a smart phone (although stats show over 40% of Members do, god lovem) and of course being able to instantly post a photo of a nose booger like you can on Facebook isn't possible.

Fact is photo and video files take up server and bandwidth space, and even if a board had instant and seamless uploading capabilities it isn't free, unlike Facebook who gleans info for marketing and advertising in exchange for providing space for the sea of photos and videos they store. (FWIW, this board has a function that does allow one photo to be loaded to UJ server-per post. I have that set for Contributing Members since I pay for renting server space. Regardless I have to keep the size of photos reasonable at 900k and its one per post so no photo essays...thus I recommend using a photohost site. Also folks no longer know how to downsize digital photos to a web friendly size and rely on auto resizing that most venues provide these days. Everything is automatic nowadays.)

privacy issues

Keep seeing this would someone elaborate?

I get it. There are certainly a lot of privacy settings that can be set on Facebook.

My oldest daughter has her page security shut down like Fort Knox and spends her time on Instagram. Pretty much the same for my youngest. But, if you aren't up to speed with security settings, that change frequently, shiit can happen. I went to my FB newsfeed recently and there was a random post by someone I didnt know. There were photos of a party. My daughter was at that party and been "tagged" and for some reason it came on my Newsfeed. The photos of her and her boyfriend weren't necessarily egregious but unflattering-especially given her and her boyfriend are grad students about ready to embark on careers. I texted her about it and she was horrified and quickly contacted the friend that had posted the photos and had them removed.

And how about when you do a web search for a pair of tighty whiteys on a search engine and suddenly you are inundated with ads on your Facebook page/Newsfeed for Fruit of the Loom and Hanes. There's a word for it, and maybe there is a way to stop it, but its still creeps me out.

I admit to having a "like/unlike relationship with Facebook. Understandable, I think, given the circumstances as illustrated in this thread.

Steelheadfred

In execution, it will eventually crush the sole proprietor model very much in the same way that Uber and similar services have decimated their competitor's unrealistic value of market share and value. IMO, this will happen much sooner than later.

There will be some unique, cottage/boutique style BB's that will survive this trend but only if they offer some very significant value proposition to their clientele.

This is 100% accurate.

Participating or not in Facebook is a personal decision. Simply put though it is a complex, dynamic, and most importantly fast way to communicate.

Like it or not, Facebook is here to stay for the next five to ten years and maybe longer. It is also how the Next Generation will operate, and whether you like it or not, that generation is our future, our kids, our employees, our co workers.

It is essentially the most efficient form of communication on the web at this time.

PartridgeCartridge

This is 100% accurate.

Participating or not in Facebook is a personal decision. Simply put though it is a complex, dynamic, and most importantly fast way to communicate.

Like it or not, Facebook is here to stay for the next five to ten years and maybe longer. It is also how the Next Generation will operate, and whether you like it or not, that generation is our future, our kids, our employees, our co workers.

It is essentially the most efficient form of communication on the web at this time.

Ironically, I, and several others, had suggested several ways to MONETIZE UJ several years ago as we saw this technology trend evolving.

It was met with vitriol and extreme sarcasm and the inner clique power struggles, supported by management, that were short sighted, was encouraged and squashed the ideas.

Selfish ideas, a sense of entitlement and a lack of futuristic thinking were prevalent and almost encouraged back then.

This domain would be worth real, REAL, money with the right business decisions.

This site could clearly survive and be robust if an appreciation for a value proposition is crystalized and executed. That will require some true leadership. Are you up to that Brad? Would you like some advice and help?

I hope you are up to the task, as FB has sites like this squarely in their crosshairs and they would love to pull the trigger.

The Death Knell of sites like this can be prevented through insightful positioning that provides true value to its clientele. The days of a private little social club concept are over, unless there is a pay to play concept invoked..

Its funny how hindsight is 20/20.

It would be a damn shame to see this wonderful panacea of upland knowledge and tradition fall victim to a simple paradigm shift in social information exchange.

Good luck and we are counting on you to figure this out.

Personally, I like it. I'm on two groups there and I enjoy both. The interesting thing is, in the most heated of discussions, the members seem to monitor the posts and things are cooled off before moderation is needed. There is also a LOT of talented people there. Because the topics are so diversified and there is so much new information tossed around, I spend more time there than anywhere else.