Facebook

ThomGordon

I usually don't do what everyone else does and have absolutely no interest in FakeBook (though we do have an account for our business...not sure if it draws traffic or customers). Though I'm not a recluse, I really don't care for the whole world to know where I am and what I'm up to...and I probably don't want to hook up with any old girlfriends/ex wives from the past (at least I don't think so but a guy should leave his options open).

My wife, who's probably a borderline FB junkie mentioned the other day that she's gotten pretty sick of the whole "I'm at the store now" or political "vote for" posts and might delete her account.

I wished she'd delete our tv service, too

For all you political hacks out there that can't seem get enough of that crap...don't you know that you're only a pawn in "their" game? Their = They = the Establishment.

Bob Dylan sang something about that

The 'whole' world only knows what you are up too if you post and then leave your account open for the 'whole' world to see if they care to look. As far as seeing post you don't care after a few weeks of blocking stuff you will have your own little world. With the correct options set even if they know your name and search it won't come up same as if you weren't there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Chesepeakes_Man

• gundogpa

• ThomGordon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It helps men get hold of their inner female side, with all that gossiping and such.

I see Facebook and online bulletin boards as serving two totally separate purposes.  I use both, and use them for separate purposes.  I'll log in to facebook and spend a few minutes seeing what is going on, but then for my 'wind down' reading of a night, click the topics in the various bulletin boards I hit.  Facebook is quick gossip, bulletin boards are encyclopedias of knowledge.

Facebook to me is to see what my close friends and family are doing in real time.  Search functions nonexistant other than to find a person or a particular business.

Bulletin boards (of which I just joined this one, but am a member of a handful of others) can be some real time action, but it is better for 'archiving'.  Buy a new caliber rifle and wonder what pet loads people are using?  Do a quick google search with a particular bulletin boards name in it and you'll get a link.  In that link you'll find the pet loads and all kinds of other relevant items to the task at hand.  Facebook doesn't have that topic searchability.

Chesepeakes_Man

I am not sure if UJ is going to FB. If so I am not sure how it would be setup or if you can use a screen names like we do here ? I am not sure how a "Group" is set up on FB ?? I really have a hard time with FB because it does not matter how much you have your account locked down, it's everyone else out there. For instance my wife use to send out to close friends updates and photos of what we are up to. Without our consent some of our photos got posted on FB with our names attached. So we stopped sending all our friends photos so it does not happen again.

I have no use for FB and I have all the friends I need and don't care to hook up with old acquaintances, if I did I would look them up. It's just not my style. Call me old fashioned or whatever thank you, I will take that compliment.

Dale

I am not sure if UJ is going to FB. If so I am not sure how it would be setup or if you can use a screen names like we do here ? I am not sure how a "Group" is set up on FB ?? I really have a hard time with FB because it does not matter how much you have your account locked down, it's everyone else out there. For instance my wife use to send out to close friends updates and photos of what we are up to. Without our consent some of our photos got posted on FB with our names attached. So we stopped sending all our friends photos so it does not happen again.

I have no use for FB and I have all the friends I need and don't care to hook up with old acquaintances, if I did I would look them up. It's just not my style. Call me old fashioned or whatever thank you, I will take that compliment.

Dale

UJ already has an FB "Page", but I rarely update or utilize it. Many Members here who are on FB have "Liked" it so when the board/server goes down I make an announcement there like I did last weekend. Anybody can create an FB Group on just about any subject. The Groups are similar to traditional bulletin boards as Ive described in previous posts on this Topic. They can set up as Private, Open etc., Its pretty easy. I may set up a UJ Group sometime, but only as a supplement to the traditional UJ board like this one or whatever board I/we end up with early this year. You and your wife were "Tagged" in those photos. As some here have said, you can set all sorts of privacy controls including not allowing photos to be tagged or being notified if you were tagged etc. For those not particularly adept at new technologies, figuring out and setting privacy stuff on FB can be head scratchy.

This discussion has been interesting, and will influence the direction and decisions I am being forced to make about what direction this board will head in 2016.

I just opened up a FB page; you can safely assume that's the death knell for the whole thing.  I don't jump on board anything until after the rats have already jumped off.
This thread, that is now six pages long with over eighty replies and over thirty-eight hundred views, is very Facebook like....    :oops: