Nothing like hunting in Iowa

I agree with Mike.

It is an impressive load of bucks but here in the northeast-in my case Maine-hunters spend a lifetime trying to shoot a buck of the caliber shown on that tractor. They are thus something special and seeing bucks stacked up like that wreaks of disrespect to some of us from up here. Just does.

I wince when I see a deer hung by the neck rather than the hind legs. Seems disrespectful.

Nothing PC about it. Its simply a regional thing-that need to always be considered on all Topics on an open/public/global board.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StormsGSP

• Brad Eden

• M V McDonald

Sorry Mike... But you can Rest Your Case on the fact that your post doesn't make sense. You say you find it displeasing seeing the deer stacked like cordwood. How in the world do you expect them to bring the deer out of the fields and woods? Are you wanting them displayed individually from the trees and any other available hanging spot like trophy's on the wall for the world to see. A picture was taken with a bunch of deer loaded in the back of a truck. Maybe I am taking your message wrong. But you give the impression that this practice is wrong for some reason. This picture is no different than the pictures I see of other hunters with stacks of ducks, geese, pheasants, rabbits or any other game animal displayed in the same manner. Do you just find it more distrubing because they are large in size and they are deer? Sure we have tons of deer, big deer here in Iowa which with their over population status that has cause great concern for all that live here in the state of Iowa. They are a major pain in the backside for the farmers due to losses in crop damage. But for most of us here in the state. They are a huge concern when it comes to traffic mishaps and fatalities when these "Brutes" cross the road in front of you. If your lucky all you will end up with is a damaged vehicle and hopefully your insurance premiums won't jump. So you see, I see no problem with the picture other than I wished they were does instead of bucks.

bird

PS... I count 11 bucks in the back of a flatbed trailer with a JD MPV loaded in there with them. The MPV is what they use to drag them out of the fields and woods with. I guess my point is this. Don't consider us Iowan's disrespectful of game animals with pictures like this just because we have large deer for the taking and in your region you wished you had large deer for the taking. We can't help it that we live where the deer are huge because of their "Corn Fed" status and the thrive like rats. I can't see how the hunters in our state can take a picture of some bucks without upsetting those from other regions. What are we to do? Throw a tarp over the deer and hide our harvest?

Gee Bird, Mike doesn't need me to defend him but his post made perfect sense to me....did you read my last post at all?

Relax-if deer are like rats in your area of the country and are stacked like so much cordwood-great but that ain't the case where I live. You are lucky to see a buck or two hanging every fall in my entire town-and this is supposedly the most deer rich area in the state.

Gee Bird Mike doesn't need me to defend him but his post made perfect sense to me....did you read my last post at all?

Relax-if deer are like rats in your area of the country and are stacked like so much cordwood-great but that ain't the case where I live.

So why cut us down for it?

"wreaks of disrespect" The use of these words is what I would consider as an insult. Maybe I am taking it wrong and if I am, I apologize. I guess I need some more coffee this morning... The arguement itself is not worth fighting over. Great looking harvest in the picture none the less.

I find something displeasing about this picture.  It's disrespectful of the deer for such nice bucks to be piled like cordwood.  No chance to appreciate each individual, thus leaving the impression that they are nothing special.  Sad.

Bird,

Mike and Brad say that in their OPINION it is disrespectful. I tend to agree. In fact you yourself, have multiple times referred to these magnificent game animals as unwanted "rats" that you can't get rid of fast enough. Mike sez it leaves the impression that they are nothing special. If your own post doesn't fully collaborate that sentiment, I don't know what would. And who is "us"?  Were you one of the ones that shot a deer in that picture? If not, get your "insults" out of a knot. Nobody specifically insulted you. It cracks me up that someone can't express an OPINION about something without somebody accusing them of being "politically correct", and getting INSULTED over it. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As far as I'm concerned, this picture is a stagged attempt to brag about the hunting prowess of a bunch of bozos, or to hype up a particular area to bring in money for leases or pay hunting. I love to see pictures of individual guys with their deer, but to put one smiling guy in the back of trailer with a dozen nice deer "stacked like cord wood" (very accurate metaphor) would or should be a bit distasteful to anyone that has any respect for a game animal. And yeah, I feel the same way about the waterfowl and pheasant pictures showing some grinning dufus in the back of a truck filled with dozens and dozens of ducks/geese/pheasants. If you don't get that concept, then I agree, there is not much need in fighting over it.

Bird,  Brad has stated it well, perhaps it is a regional thing, limited to those of us who still find majesty in even a single, mature buck.  Regardless, I believe we all have a responsibility to promote our sport in the best light we can.  Granted hunting (and fishing for that matter) have elements that are less pleasurable than others and while we cannot shy away from them, we needn't overtly display them as validation of our conquest.  Why do you suppose professional hunters go to such great lenghts to pose trophy animals such that they minimize the gore of the kill and maximize the life and beauty of the species?  If you live where a wagon load of trophy bucks can be killed in a season - good for you, I wish I did.  That you have devised an efficient means of bringing so many from the woods in one trip is no doubt envyable in many circles.  However, I would advise caution in referring to deer as rats and pests...they said that about the American Bison once upon a time and it took an act of Congress to save them from extinction - but, I digress. My point is, when displaying a moment on film, we have an opportunity to be less candid and display it in it's best light.  It's no different than taking wedding photos - better that we promote the smiling bride and groom rather than their drunken second cousin doing a solo, chicken polka.  Pardon my poor illustration, perhaps my limited exposure to game over 40 years has made me overly sensitive to even a perception of excess.  And, since you mentioned it, "stacks of ducks, geese, pheasants and rabbits..." likewise repulse me as a lack of appreciation and respect, on the part of the hunter.  A deer or bird gives up everything, the least we can do is demonstrate that we are worthy of taking it.  "Stacks" of game animals are also fine fodder for the anti's, leaving the impression of "too many" regardless of how legal it may be.  We must be sensitive to the message we send by the way we care for and display game animals, lest we diminish any shade of acceptability by non-hunters, as well as many in our own ranks.

Respectfully,

Mike

OK, I have to chime in again...

I, for one, will not live in fear of PETA, or HSUS, or any person or organization of that ilk.  One animal. or dozens, they will take a picture, or fake a picture, to further their aims.  When they start harping, I throw the BS flag.  Humans are animals, part of the ecosystem.  We just arguably happen to be the most intelligent part.  As we "migrated" into new areas, we displaced other predators and took over their function in the environment.  Hunting, to me, is not only a privilige, but also a responsibility.  In many regions, there are few, if any, wild predators in place to keep prey animal populations in check and maintain the ecosystem.  It is up to us to accomplish this since we moved in here.  Don't hide what we do, be proud of it, it is a just and honorable activity that serves a needed and noble purpose.

As far as the "disrespectful" issue goes, party hunting has been a tradition in Iowa for as long as we have had a deer season.  Bunch of folks get together, hunt a piece of land, farmland too yet, load their harvest on a flat rack and haul it to the butcher - or more commonly, to one of the parties' barns or machine sheds to process it themselves.  That's the way it is done and has been done for generations.

I could just as easily call out my Southern Brethren and the practice of using dogs to run deer to posted hunters and call it unethical, unfair, disrespectful.  BUT I won't do that.  THAT'S the way it is done there, and has been for generations.  It works for that area.

A little perspective on the numbers.  In Iowa, you can get an "Any Sex" license, good anywhere in the State, for bow and for gun.  If you bow hunt and gun hunt, you get 2 chances at a rack.  If you only gun hunt - muzzy or shotgun, you get 1 chance.  After that, in order to maintain or reduce the herd in a given area, a certain number of extra "Antlerless" or Doe tags are issued are isuued per county.  These are only good for the county they are issued to.  The county I usually hunt is about 540 square miles in area with 16,000 people living there.  So far this year 518 total deer have been taken in this county.  There were no extra tags issued for this county.  Alamakee county on the other hand is 600 some odd square miles in area, just over 14,000 in population, close to 3900 deer taken so far this year and 4900 extra tags issued (4800 resident, 100 non res) and over 1800 of those are still available.  I could buy one or two or however many I want, drive across the state and shoot a few more does if I were able to get the time.  Add to that "depredation" tags - farmers can call the DNR biologists, have them look at damage caused by deer and other game (turkeys can screw up a corn field too) and get tags that they then can allow any hunter to fill on their behalf.  "Rats"??  Well, if you have ever cleaned out a grain bin in Iowa, and you are in one of Iowas counties that have an overpopulation of deer, then yes, they are like rats.

Sure, in many areas of this country, the site of a 160 class buck is a rare and majestic site.  In Iowa, it isn't all that rare, and unfortunately, to some, that makes it less majestic.  However, even meat hunters like me, who would rather shoot a doe any day, still gets a thrill seeing a nice rack moving through the timber or standing out in the middle of the field.

Ok... I'll play...

Humans are not animals - we "sense" a moral code toward each other... animals do not. This discussion is proof of that.

I posted a question - Is this hunter going to eat all those bucks?

To me, the whitetail deer is the most graceful, beautiful and elegant animal on the face of the earth. I respect their instincts and ability to adapt more than any other animal. The picture does not reflect my sentiments about the whitetail, nor does it indicate any honed and superb skill about the hunter to harvest those bucks. Maybe I'm having trouble with a pre-conceived notion but it just appears wasteful...

That said, Illinois has it's own problems with crop depredation and I cannot argue that deer have done considerable damage to farm crops, state forrests where hunting is not allowed, etc. They can become a pest in short order.

You posted a foolish question.  How on earth do you know how many hunters were involved in this effort?  When we spend a day in the field you can bet that at the end of the day there is a harvest picture with all the deer taken by all the folks involved.  Standard practice.  As for me and my house, we hung 5 deer this year and would have taken two more had the opportunity presented.  YES, WE WILL EAT THEM ALL.

You posted a foolish question.  How on earth do you know how many hunters were involved in this effort?  When we spend a day in the field you can bet that at the end of the day there is a harvest picture with all the deer taken by all the folks involved.  Standard practice.  As for me and my house, we hung 5 deer this year and would have taken two more had the opportunity presented.  YES, WE WILL EAT THEM ALL.

How many other hunters; you're right - I don't know? The picture has one hunter in it... Where is the picture of all the hunters involved if it's "standard practice"?

How many others were involved?

I doubt they will eat them all. That said, that is why there are programs like Hunters 4 The Hungry. I would assume the meat will be eaten by someone.

Thanks APROCK.. Very well said.

Do you sense an hint of jealousy?

bird

Don't worry the meat will be eaten. I have seen alot more deer than this taken by hunting parties. This just happens to be a picture of one trailer load of bucks is all, nothing more, nothing less. Why read into the picture more than what is there?  Get Over It!

Thanks APROCK.. Very well said.

Do you sense an hint of jealousy?

bird

StormGSP - We also have a Sportsmen Against Hunger program here.

Jealous - of what?

tr_aa011803.jpg

It's the WAY it was presented that's the problem. I guess being there, you don't see it that way.