REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jakeismydog2

The Revnant

Jakeismydog2

Have any of you gone to see "The Revnant" yet? It's not often that Hollywood puts out outdoor/adventure/western/survival movies anymore.  

My whole office went and watched it Thursday. Everyone really liked it. It's all anyone talked about on Friday. We all determined that if we were Hugh Glass we would have died before the movie even started. The bear would have never even been in the story.

The movie was a great reminder of the harsh realities of life during the westward expansion. I left the movie thanking God that I live now and not back then.

Rocksteady1
I thought it was very good. The cinematography was quite literally amazing. Filmed in Canada I read. I agree, the reality of living life as a fur trader was a lot different than what I do.

NW River Mac

I have to agree the cinematography was exceptional.  Some of the non actions scenes seemed like they were reaching a bit to make this a work of "art" but all in all it was by far the best action filming I've seen.  The bear scene was very cool.

I was a bit long at times but I was able sit through it without fidgeting.  Perhaps one of the better depictions of how difficult it was to survive during that time.

Curt
Haven't seen this new version yet but isn't this a remake of a previous film about the same story?  I recall seeing it years ago but can't recall the title.

WABBIT-SLAYER
Haven't seen this new version yet but isn't this a remake of a previous film about the same story?  I recall seeing it years ago but can't recall the title.

Yes, it is a remake of the 1970-1971 movie "Man In The Wilderness" with Richard Harris as the main character.

shinbone

The Revenant is at the top of my must-see list.

Is it a remake of an older movie, or is it a new movie based on the same historical events?

Pinecobleguy
Read the book before seeing the movie and the screenwriters added quite a bit to the story but it works. The ending in the book was more than a little unsatisfying. It's a breathtakingly beautiful movie. The dialogue is hard to follow/understand at times but the visuals are so overwhelming that it really didn't matter. It's definitely worth seeing. That period of time was obviously not documented on film but the Revenan is probably a lot more realistic than any other films trying to capture that period of time. It's truly stunning.

bigjohnsd
Come to South Dakota, drive to the Shade Hill Reservoir, just South of Lemon SD, climb the hill and sit by the Hugh Glass Monument.  Think about WTF you would do if you some there, naked,unarmed and hungry today, let alone 150 years ago.  Take out your phone, Google Chamberlain or Oacoma SD. Imagine crawling 250 miles to get to Fort Kiowa.  Imagine finding and forgiving the two guys that left you for dead.

henryrski
I'll do that Big John as soon as I get to Florida. :)

Don Steese
I'll do that Big John as soon as I get to Florida. :)

I can't believe you're still in Pennsylvania??

Virgil Kane
 Imagine finding and forgiving the two guys that left you for dead.

I didn't know that one of the guys that left him was a young 19 year old Jim Bridger who was a heck of a trapper/frontiersman in his own right. I have read a few books about Jim Bridger and don't remember ever coming across this story about Hugh Glass.

I plan on seeing the movie ASAP. IMHO sure beats going to see Star Wars.  :D

Virgil

BO, BOLT & JEWELL
I thought the movie - story was excellent and agree with comments regarding cinematography.  BIG HOWEVER,  had I known less about the outdoors it would have been far more enjoyable.   First Elk bugle in September and maybe a little into October.  Every time you turned around you heard an elk bugle.  Mountain men did what they could to stay dry.  Every time you turned around they were going out of their way to get in a stream or river.   Muzzleloaders shoot once then you have to reload - except in this movie.   I believe some of the tack was not authentic to the period.  They could build fires in that movie that could not have been started today due to conditions if you gave me a 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel.  I could probably go on but you get the point.

oldbird
Yep I started to pick nits with it. Hypothermia, shock, etc. etc. Then decided its hollywood enjoy the ride.

Randy S

I hate to post this pic, but it is topical. Shadehill is a great place to camp, but the pheasant hunting is best north or south.

IMG_0600_zpscmbd7mzq.jpg[/img]

Spin

I read the historical account of this story many, many years ago. Grizzly's took out quite a few mountain men back in those times. Bridger was attacked and scalped by a bear when his skull slipped out of the bear's mouth (Lucky guy it was way better than getting his brain box popped like a grape) His trapping partner flopped it back over his exposed skull and positioned his ear (still attached to his scalp but ripped loose from his head) and sewed it back together.

I was fascinated by the mountain men as a teen and I guess I still am. They were half savage and incredibly tough. Characters like Liver Eatin' Johnston, Dell Grue, Portagee Philips, Buffalo Chip Wilson. Kit Carson hooked up with a small group of these trapers at a very young age but they and the beaver and the market for skins to make beaver hats was almost at an end.

Sorry for running on there. I got carried away. Can't wait to see this movie.