• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• PartridgeCartridge

• ThomGordon

• Jakeismydog2

You want truth look'er up on the net & you'll find Most of Hugh Glass' story if not all was second hand information possibly three or more times removed. It's a movie fellers, movies are a business which needs to sell tickets this is why they always veer from the truth. The movie needs to be entertaining. Realize this before going in to see the movie and you'll enjoy the movie that much more.

I believe that the original published telling of the Hugh Glass story came from George C. Yount, a veteran mountain man who gathered facts from talking at length with two people who had been there. One was, if I remember correctly, Jim Bridger.

The town of Yountville, California was named for George Yount.

More useless trivia...

I thought Yount's account was second hand? I could be wrong it's been awhile since I read it...

THOM -- YES. Yount's account was second hand - from two people who were actually there. Geo. Yount was too young to have been in the mountains in the early 20s.

For those who claim Hollywood never presents an accurate film depiction of the historical frontier I'd offer Thomas Mann's film "The Last Of The Mohicans" This was accurate down to very small details. Sets were built according to actual builders drawings of the fort represented in the film. Costumes were painstakingly made with historical accuracy as were hair, weapons, and other common artifacts of the time period. No multi shot flintlocks!! Daniel Day Lewis practiced a great deal loading and shooting, even simply carrying and handling period rifles. And he became very interested in them and very proficient. A charcoal burner fan - my kind of guy.

Ben "Open Range" and "Shane" are my two favorite westerns. I think Open Range was Michael Jeter's last movie. I'm glad it was such a good one and he was great in it.

Yes, really liked those also. Another top notch western is Broken Trail with Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church, both excellent actors.

I think Blazing Saddles was the best western ever made.

I may regret this but this is the first time I have publicly acknowledged that I agree with PC. :down:  :ghostface:

"Open Range" and "Shane" are my two favorite westerns. I think Open Range was Michael Jeter's last movie. I'm glad it was such a good one and he was great in it.

Yes, really liked those also. Another top notch western is Broken Trail with Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church

Totally agree on all three of those.  Also Magnificent 7, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, and the John Wayne version of True Grit would be up there (minus the made for TV acting of Glen Campbell)

Blazing Saddles while hilarious unfortunately broke into song & dance so it doesnt get my vote.

I liked The Long Riders & purdy much everything Eastwood...

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Revenant last night -- really liked it.  Recommend for anyone who is not turned off by blood and guts by the truckload.  it was $5 movie night to boot.  

Front-ended the movie with the local Tuesday night happy hour with $1 burgers, I had two, and $2 20 oz. drafts, had two of those as well from Sam Adams.  What a country!

Saw Revenant last night -- really liked it.  Recommend for anyone who is not turned off by blood and guts by the truckload.  it was $5 movie night to boot.  

Front-ended the movie with the local Tuesday night happy hour with $1 burgers, I had two, and $2 20 oz. drafts, had two of those as well from Sam Adams.  What a country!

That's a solid night!

That's a solid night!

Those two 20 oz drafts were poor (pour) planning -- that is a loooooooong movie and had to skip out about midway for a break.

I may regret this but this is the first time I have publicly acknowledged that I agree with PC. :down:  :ghostface:

Makes me laugh.  My parents who were in their 60's when BS came out thought it was a true western.  They said it was the most stupid movie they ever saw in their lives.  I asked if they laughed and they said sure.  The really liked Mondo punching the horse and the campfire fart scene.

Makes me laugh.  My parents who were in their 60's when BS came out thought it was a true western.  They said it was the most stupid movie they ever saw in their lives.  I asked if they laughed and they said sure.  The really liked Mondo punching the horse and the campfire fart scene.

I saw an interview with Mel Brooks once, and they asked him about the campfire scene. He said he was watching a bunch of old westerns when he was writing Blazing Saddles. He said he noticed that all they ever seemed to eat in all the westerns was beans. He knew right then he had a great idea.