REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bmeador

Tow Behind Camper or Motel Rooms

caleb

When I hunt the prairie I rent a house while I'm out there. The rates are on par with a hotel.  With a house you can do your cooking, not worry about the dogs in a hotel parking lot, and best of all if you get the right house you can sleep in a room with a door so you don't have to listen to your buddies snore.  The accommodations aren't usually fancy, but I am not terribly picky.

When forced to hit a hotel I will still do most of my own cooking instead of eating in cafes.  You can get a lot done with a small portable grill and a crock pot

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who takes a crock pot, camp stove, and grill when hunting out of a hotel room...

I'm with you guys. A hotel room with a mini fridge and coffeemaker, plus a crockpot and hotplate, allows for decent food with just a little bit of foresight and planning.

Even better is a cabin or house.  In northern Minnesota it's no problem to find a resort with clean cabins that will allow dogs during hunting season.  With Air BnB, I've had good luck renting houses directly, too.

From a cost perspective, I have a hard time seeing how the camper trailer beats a hotel room or cabin.  Last fall when I was up in Quebec I stayed at a ski resort for 36 USD/night, and the owner cooked me breakfast to order every morning in the dining room at no extra charge.  Even at $150/night for a cabin or house, you've got to spend a lot of nights before you've covered trailer costs, trailer maintenance, trailer storage, gas, tow vehicle wear and tear, etcetera.  And that assumes you already own a tow vehicle.

The only way I see it being worth it is if you're just too far from anywhere you can rent for renting to be viable, but in that case a nice wall tent setup with a stove might be a good option.

MontanaCanvas2.jpg

bmeador

Thanks everyone for your info and replies.  We have decided to go ahead and get a travel trailer.  We'll use it a bunch here in VA camping and floating/fishing the smallmouth streams in the fishing seasons.  And tow it out west on extended trips with guns and dogs.

Thanks again!!!!

dow
Is that a 3/4 ton youre towing with dow?

That is a 1 ton although other than a little heavier suspension a 3/4 would be just fine as well

dow
Get a camper.  This is our setup for 3 weeks at a time of birdin

minus the blue car

RIG_zpsdawcuqdh.jpg

This is the set up I want.

Nice set up--

Have you ever had a problem with law enforcement regarding the two /frame ball hitches together?

Know that is illegal in some states :down:

We have not had any problems with law enforcment yet.....We travel out west.  I'll have to look into what states this would be illegal in.  Its a long set up though.  I thing were right at the max for length in Utah.  Something like 65 feet

dow

From a cost perspective, I have a hard time seeing how the camper trailer beats a hotel room or cabin.  Last fall when I was up in Quebec I stayed at a ski resort for 36 USD/night, and the owner cooked me breakfast to order every morning in the dining room at no extra charge.  Even at $150/night for a cabin or house, you've got to spend a lot of nights before you've covered trailer costs, trailer maintenance, trailer storage, gas, tow vehicle wear and tear, etcetera.  And that assumes you already own a tow vehicle.

The only way I see it being worth it is if you're just too far from anywhere you can rent for renting to be viable, but in that case a nice wall tent setup with a stove might be a good option.

I'll let you decide.

2 guys

20 days

5800 miles

$702 each person

That dosen't include adult beverages  :D

that includes all fuel and food.  And we don't eat ramen

Plus we camp where ever we want.  Hunting right outside the door in the mornings, nobody around, don't have to worry about putting every dog on a leash to walk to use the bathroom

Talon1

This is good information. I am researching different TTs at the moment vs pop ups, vs tents, staying in hotel rooms, etc.

We as a family love to camp, so I think that a TT would see lots of use in my household.

I am just trying to decide what I really want. Looking real hard at a Jayco Jayfeather 19 ft hybrid. I would use the fold out beds with the family during the summer, but would be able to keep the beds folded up and just sleep on the bed from the dinette when I am hunting alone during the fall. It would be warmer that way. I can also pull this unit with a 1/2 ton pretty well.

bmeador, what trailer did you decide on?

Curt

I'll let you decide.

2 guys

20 days

5800 miles

$702 each person

Plus we camp where ever we want.  Hunting right outside the door in the mornings, nobody around, don't have to worry about putting every dog on a leash to walk to use the bathroom

That rig looks pretty long and wouldn't be legal on the roads of Pennsylvania, no triple towing for rv's.  I'm 53' all hooked up for the road, 30' Arctic Fox & F350. Yours has to be quite a bit longer for sure.

caleb

I'll let you decide.

2 guys

20 days

5800 miles

$702 each person

I understand it can be nice and convenient, and the marginal cost per trip not that great, but we're talking about rigs that when new are in the 50-100k range.  If that cost is incorporated, I don't see how it comes out cheaper than renting a place.

If someone wants to make the case that I can own an F350 and a four season travel trailer and drive them around the country for less than the couple thousand bucks a cabin might cost for 20 nights, I'm all ears.   That would be awesome.  :D

dow

I hunt, fish, camp, dog train way too much to not have a truck.  That would never be an option in my world.  So no, I didn't figure in the cost of the truck and never will.  I will always have a truck regardless so......

If I lived in the city and had no other reason to own one, then it might not make sense

MilRob

$1500.  Paid for itself in one year.    Sleeps 4-5.  Heater/stovetop/oven.    And a dry place to sleep.  I don't really need anything else.  

56EBA4BF-5E0C-47F2-AF38-DC833D54955B_zps

Chukarman
Milrob --- got enough coolers?

UplandHntr
Thats ALOT of beer! :p

MilRob
5 guys and 9 days in the field.   Takes a lot of food and ice for the week.  Plus some beer.  :)

bmeador
And I thought I had a lot of coolers...   :D

settem

I really like my truck camper for my hunting/fishing trips, and you can still pull your boat, since Va does not allow double tow.

You would have to trade off that Burb for a Silverado, but I can't even imagine trying to go back to a SUV after having a truck. The SUV's were great when the kids were small, but now it's just me and the dogs most of the time.

Just another option for you...