Tow Behind Camper or Motel Rooms

It's just like everything else you own, it requires some work to maintain it, some cost to maintain and store it.

Exactly.

"Saving" on the costs of hotel rooms unavoidably comes at quite a price in money and your own free time.

Of course there's no saving of money involved, the rv trailer provides flexibility, convenience, comfort, etc. but it can't possibly be cheaper than forking over a few nights room charge at the local motel, I don't think anyone was suggesting that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmeador

• dow

• Curt

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

circumstances determine if the savings do exist, if you do extended stays like I have to it's definitely less expensive per day than a hotel

if you just go somewhere for a week or less once a year probably not

All RVs require maintenance IMO travel trailers require the least by far

the hunt is also much less stressful with dogs in a campground or boon docking and that's what I'm am looking for on my vacation opportunities

simply put its much more fun

greypartridge
I contemplated purchasing a TT this year. Most of my trips are 5 days, which 3 are hunting days and 2 for travel. One or two trips are for 1 week duration. I decided not to purchase a TT mainly due to mother nature. Many of my trips this year were rescheduled due to extremely high winds and or bad snow storms. There is no~way I would have wanted to be on the interstate towing a TT under those conditions. Ranchers would allow me to set up on their property and hook up to their electric. In rural MT I don't even know where I would dump my waste tanks, cleaning the unit after a trip is a hassle, storage for the TT is a hassle, quality of all TT's except for Airstream are low and are breaking down frequently. If you are retired and time is of no~issue that would be different. Towing a trailer out west back and forth is way more of a hassle than I decided I want to deal with. Anyone who has any type of schedule would be compromised getting to and from with a TT was my conclusion.

When I hunt the prairie I rent a house while I'm out there. The rates are on par with a hotel.  With a house you can do your cooking, not worry about the dogs in a hotel parking lot, and best of all if you get the right house you can sleep in a room with a door so you don't have to listen to your buddies snore.  The accommodations aren't usually fancy, but I am not terribly picky.

When forced to hit a hotel I will still do most of my own cooking instead of eating in cafes.  You can get a lot done with a small portable grill and a crock pot

When I hunt the prairie I rent a house while I'm out there. The rates are on par with a hotel.  With a house you can do your cooking, not worry about the dogs in a hotel parking lot, and best of all if you get the right house you can sleep in a room with a door so you don't have to listen to your buddies snore.  The accommodations aren't usually fancy, but I am not terribly picky.

When forced to hit a hotel I will still do most of my own cooking instead of eating in cafes.  You can get a lot done with a small portable grill and a crock pot

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who takes a crock pot, camp stove, and grill when hunting out of a hotel room...

I feel you shinbone...Kind of like those who burn a wood stove to "save" big $

I foresee a hard side tow behind in our future

Bobman is right that it is more fun, at least for some folks.  I've been labeled as obstinate for wanting to do everything myself.  I started out hunting on the cheap a good while ago and just got used to doing everything myself.  Now that I can afford to go to a lodge with a guide it just doesn't hold as much appeal for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like any kind of wild bird hunting.  I've hunted quail in Texas and chukars in Idaho and both hunts would have never happened had I not spent the money for a guide and access.  That said, I am always happier when I shoot a bird over my own dogs on public land or somewhere I managed to get permission to hunt.  In the same vein, I'm happier cooking sharptail kabobs in my long underwear than I am at a steakhouse in Pierre.  To each their own.

I reserve the right to change my opinion should I seize a wheel bearing on my trailer next fall.

Get a camper.  This is our setup for 3 weeks at a time of birdin

minus the blue car

RIG_zpsdawcuqdh.jpg

This is the set up I want.

We have done the pros and cons of motel vs camper and every time we come back to keeping our camper.  We use ours on out of state hunting trips 4-8 weeks long as well as for a few shorter trips within Kansas.  A few points, some which have already been made, others not:

- We happen to not like RV campgrounds at all.  I guess we're hermit types, but we much prefer to camp remotely out where we hunt, either on BLM/state land or private with rancher permission.  We often can hunt right out the door but usually drive just a few minutes to hunt.  

- To us the convenience, privacy, scenery and peacefulness of remote boondocking can't be beat.  And with 8-10 dogs it sure is nice to be able to just let them out instead of having to walk them all on a leash like you do in a campground or motel.

- Water is the biggest challenge when boondocking, especially in dry Montana.  Our RV has an 85 gal fresh water tank which is much larger than most trailers.  With careful use and supplementing with 8 gal jugs for the dogs, the 2 of us can stay out for a week.  After about a week we usually need to head to town anyway for groceries, beer, fuel, etc so we just pull the trailer along and refill the water tank at the same time.

- As others said, 4 season is important.  We have been in ours from single digits to 99 degrees with no problems.  

- Ground clearance is really important if you boondock.  Some trailers are higher up than others.

- Since you are a couple, get a queen sized bed and replace the mattress with a quality one.  We put in a memory foam mattress and it sures feels great after long days afield.  

- Make sure your tow vehicle really is rated/capable for the trailer you buy.  Buy the best quality weight distribution hitch you can find.  It is scary to see a poorly matched rig on the highway.  

We use an F250 crew, diesel with a dog topper to pull a 28' Open Range Journeyer.

hunting%20rig_1.jpg

- Water is the biggest challenge when boondocking, especially in dry Montana.  Our RV has an 85 gal fresh water tank which is much larger than most trailers.  With careful use and supplementing with 8 gal jugs for the dogs, the 2 of us can stay out for a week.  After about a week we usually need to head to town anyway for groceries, beer, fuel, etc so we just pull the trailer along and refill the water tank at the same time...

My Airstream carries only 35 gallons so I was 'water challenged when in dog camp in MT.

I solved the problem by putting a Bed Slide in the rear of the truck, and mounted a 35 gallon 3/8" poly tank on the Bed Slide at the forward part of the bed. I also mounted a 12V pump on the Bed Slide. Now I can refill the trailer tank without moving it, and I always have plenty of people/dog water on hand.

One thing I've noticed when we had an RV was that we used it more often just because we had it. We would go camping locally to maximize our investment.

If you only plan to use it for one or two trips a year you might be better off motel lying it. If you gat away for every three day weekend to scout, fish, swim in a lake etc then it could become a major part of your life style.

Camping, in a campground, can be great. Good chance you will meet other hunters and sitting around a campfire sharing stories and other lies is a lot of fun.

We now have a park model we stay in 4 months a year. I would like to sell it and get a towable but the Admiral enjoys our grandchildren visiting too much.when they stop coming up, youngest is 10, I'll get another towable or small motor home.

I carry portable 5 gallon containers to fill with water when needed .  In town tractor supply is one of the places I use to fill up.

X2 on the boon docking over campgrounds.  I hate campgrounds

Get a camper.  This is our setup for 3 weeks at a time of birdin

minus the blue car

RIG_zpsdawcuqdh.jpg

This is the set up I want.

Nice set up--

Have you ever had a problem with law enforcement regarding the two /frame ball hitches together?

Know that is illegal in some states :down: