Tow Behind Camper or Motel Rooms

I hunt, fish, camp, dog train way too much to not have a truck.  That would never be an option in my world.  So no, I didn't figure in the cost of the truck and never will.  I will always have a truck regardless so......

If I lived in the city and had no other reason to own one, then it might not make sense

If you don't tow a trailer, a full size truck is one of the worst vehicles off road especially with an empty bed. I owned trucks and I owned SUV's(not the soccer mom type). The only reason I'll own a truck specially a 3/4 or 1 ton is to tow a trailer and nothing else.If you don't have a TT, towing a lightweight well built dog trailer with an SUV is the best set up IMHO.

Your set up is very nice but it'll illegal in most of the Eastern states anyway.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmeador

• dow

• Curt

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Kansas Big Dog

buy a weight distributing hitch to prevent excess sway, pack the wheel bearings and buy good tires

tire age is important if you are buying used, there can be plenty of tread yet the tires are bad, I would replace them every 5 years myself

x2 and have the electric brakes checked annually.

IMHO, the costs of motel vs RV is not a consideration as both are expensive and if you can't afford one, the other is probably too much also.  But, for me the RV offers flexibility in location that motels and cabins, etc do not. If you are booked to hunt an area that either has bad weather or no birds, just go to a different area. You will always know what your accommodations and food are when you are packing the same thing everywhere you go.

Never having done such a trip myself I assume it's a real advantage to have a detachable hunting vehicle in a big place like MT.  Plunk the camper/trailer down in one spot for a few days and hunt within a given radius.  

Need to ask as a former city boy:  Are break-ins and such an issue when your away from the rig hunting?

Here is my 1986 hunting/fishing/hunt test camper. A guy gave it to me if I'd pull it off his farm. I spent about $800.00 and about $100-200 each year repairs / inspections etc.

camper_zps4cda7393.jpg

This one is a rag but you can actually get a nice older one cheap.

I have camped all over North America, from coast to coast and Alaska to Mexico. I lived full time in my RV for a few years after I retired and I still spend about 6-7 months per year in it. I hardly ever lock my RV and have never had a break in.
  • 1 month later...

Well, Tina and I decided on a travel trailer!  We purchased an Avenger ATI 17QB last Saturday and we go back this Friday for a 3 hour session with the dealer.  They are fitting the hitch, sway bars, brakes to the Suburban - and then they go over every system, switch, light, cabinet, hinge, etc... with you personally.  If anything is found to be messed up in anyway they fix it immediately.  They also make sure you (ME) know how to work everything.

We decided to go with a shorter camper for several reasons.  We hardly ever are in our current RV except to sleep and use the bathroom.  We have two of the "first ups"/shade tents that we use as outdoor rooms - and we cook mostly outdoors on the fire or a small grill.

I fit 4 large dog crates in the Suburban and we carry all our hunting clothes, gear, etc... on platforms that attach to the tops of the crates. And I have tie outs for each individual dog for camp.  So the camper will house just our non-hunting clothes and gear - and usual camper gear.

Another reason for going smaller was the weight.  Unloaded this camper weighs only 3200 pounds.  Hopefully this won't decrease my mileage too much.  I'll find out this weekend as we plan to head up into the mountains immediately after getting it on Friday.  We'll give it the first test run.

Thanks everyone for all your input and comments on my post!  Maybe I'll run into some of you this fall as we begin out trips up north and out west...

Everything you need, nothing that you don't!  Looks like a perfect home away from home!  We look forward to seeing you in May or June.

Congrats on the new trailer! I googled the model, looks nice.

You will get half the mpg towing.  Sorry

Congrats on your decision...

Did these mini tow home ever get into the discussion?

They look pretty cool and there are a bunch of folk building them now.

Congrats on your decision...

Did these mini tow home ever get into the discussion?

They look pretty cool and there are a bunch of folk building them now.

Wow, with all those windows that thing would be a mobile kiln on a warm day.

Picked up the new Avenger on Friday. After an hour and a half walk-thru, brake wiring, hitch intro - Tina and I headed up to the James River State Park for the initial trip.  Had a blast!

Only had one little burp - the freshwater water pump switch was faulty - it wouldn't shut off even though we had "city water" hookup and NO water in the freshwater tank.  I just removed the seat covering the pump and snipped the ground wire.  No more problem...

It is perfect for us. Walk around queen bed, very nice sized bathroom and lots of storage space.  We don't camp to sit inside so the medium sized dinette and kitchen doesn't bother us.  We spent all but sleeping time outside, by the fire...

Oh, my Suburban that normally gets 16 MPG, got 10 MPG on a mixture of "city" driving and highway miles.  Can't wait to see what it does on all highway miles.  

I'll post pics soon.

Went to an RV show this past weekend and saw everything from a 45' luxury motor home to a "My Pod", basically a fiberglass pup tent on wheels. None of them had spa and pool hours posted or a massage therapist on staff. I was a bit disappointed in the offerings there. :D

Bob -

We checked out one of the 43 foot Class A diesels just for the heck of it.  $400,000 and no butler - we were very offended...