Whiskey and cigars

MEdooGuide

As bird season winds down I find my other vices have time to take a grip.... always been a craft beer guy but I've been indulging in some bourbons lately..... currently enjoying a bottle of jeffersons and occasionally a glass of buffalo trace. My go to cigars is My Father's bUT I'm open to anything that's a fairly heavy smoke.

What are you guys drinking and smoking your way through the off season with??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HAMMER DOG

• sneem

• Grange

• MEdooGuide

Whatever I can mooch off someone.  But then again, the season is still open in NY and about the time that closes, woodcock will be back to chase around

I'm partial to a mild smoke so it's usually the Romeo julietta Churchill or the perdomo lot 23 Churchill. Bombay and diet Schweppes is the drink of choice.

There is nothing better than a cigar and a cocktail by the fire on the patio--winter or summer.

12 year old Jameson and the La Gloria Cubana Series R are my favorites.  I lay off both in the off season though.  I might see what I can dig up in Miami for this Springs BWCA trip though.

For me it isn't just an after the season ritual. During the season after each hunt my hunting partner and I enjoy a good cigar and whisky.

Right now I've got bottles of Jameson Caskmates (it is okay but I won't be buying another bottle) Monkey Shoulder Scotch (excellent and inexpensive) and Highland Park open.

When I open one of my humidors, which happens maybe every two or three weeks, I find my self pulling out an Illusione Rothschild most often. Fuente Queen B or Illusione Epernay Le Petite come in a close seconds. At this time of year smaller quicker smokes are the rule. It is still too cold for a 1 1/2 hour long relaxing smoke.

For me it isn't just an after the season ritual. During the season after each hunt my hunting partner and I enjoy a good cigar and whisky.

Right now I've got bottles of Jameson Caskmates (it is okay but I won't be buying another bottle) Monkey Shoulder Scotch (excellent and inexpensive) and Highland Park open.

When I open one of my humidors, which happens maybe every two or three weeks, I find my self pulling out an Illusione Rothschild most often. Fuente Queen B or Illusione Epernay Le Petite come in a close seconds. At this time of year smaller quicker smokes are the rule. It is still too cold for a 1 1/2 hour long relaxing smoke.

I love the illusiones, pete Mitchell (owner of illusione and tatuaje) is a maine boy that can blend a cigar like none other. Their crystal baller is one of my top 3 for sure. Great call!

I like a good Bourbon the 2 that grace me lips currently are Bulleit 10 Year limited which has a very good flavor but my newest favorite Bourbon is Angel's Envy port barrel it is so good it should be illegal.  :D

I don't smoke but I can drink whisky with the best of them...  I'll drink most anything scotch or bourbon and a few that aren't either.  Balvenie, Aberlour, Highland park, and a couple others are general 'house' usuals for scotch.  I am still learning bourbon but Four roses single barrel is pretty awesome for a higher end mass market bourbon.  Standard four roses is a nice blender for mixed drinks.  High West American Prairie was an awesome birthday gift from a friend (we drank a full bottle over 3 days) and I recommend it if you can find it.

rick

WABBIT-SLAYER
I don't smoke but love good bourbon. Just opened a bottle of Buffalo Trace a few days ago and have to say it is the best I have tried to date. Still have a lot more to try though!

Monte Cristo No:2 (cuban). Every year a family member coming from Europe brings a box as a gift and I savor them.

Any good single malt or good bourbon makes an excellent companion to the cigar. If it's spring or summer Gin is pretty good , too.

Whiskey:

Irish:  Bushmill's 21yo Single Malt

Scotch:  Macallan, Bowmore.....the older the better

Bourbon:  Wathens, Willet, and occasionally a little Basil Hayden

Cigars:  Fuente Opus X, Cubanos.....love the limited edition maduros

Still prefer a pipe with the whiskey.  Wilderness, Frog Morton, Hal O' the Wynd, occasionally a bowl full of Balkan Sobranie.