Whiskey and cigars

MEdooGuide

I switch back and forth between bourbons and Irish whiskeys. Currently I'm drinking the Bulleit bourbon. Mix with ice. For cigars I go all over the place. But if I were limited to one cigar, it would be the Arturo Fuente Double Chateau. I've never had a bad one.

Summer is actually my prime drinking time. Just about every night finds me out on the deck with a glass in one hand and a cigar in the other listening to the ball game on the radio. My personal heaven.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HAMMER DOG

• sneem

• Grange

• MEdooGuide

A smoky, peaty, Islay Scotch and a good tobacco with Latakia in my pipe - usually a McClelland's blend - Wilderness, Orient 996, British Woods or similar.

Early Times and DietRite Cola. Maybe skip the cola and substitute a splash.  Alberta Springs is good too but it is all gone.  Most any mild cigar at about a dollar apiece or so.  

I have quit on cigars tho.  My hunting buddy announced he had quit  cigars for his wife and on the spot, told him to tell his wife I had quit for her too.

Gosh that has been 4 years or so.  Don't miss them.

Didn't miss them when I quit for my wife either.

I never did carry a man card.

Damn, this pops up just after I stopped smoking and drinking, could have had so much to add. Oh well. Never mind.
I don't smoke cigars, but I did just purchase Evan Williams 1783 bourbon based off the comments from the cocktail thread.

Let us know what you think.  It's the best deal in bourbon out there.

I really like the small batch Four Roses, whatever they call it.  Trying the regular Four Roses tonight.  I think I prefer the 1783 and it's cheaper.

I smoke a pipe every few days in the winter.  Never have made a study of the pernicious weed, just load it up with stuff my cousin's boy got me when he worked at a cigar shop.  Some kind of burley, I think.

Broke my doggone clay church warden the other day.  I liked it.  I have some nice pipes but my best was one my father gave me.  I forget what brand but it was a high end one, a real honey, perfect grain structure.  Miles above my other four pipes.  It got stolen when Bonny and Clyde broke in my place and made off with it and several handguns and my Dad's pocket knife from WWII.  Got most of it back (I tracked them down myself) including the knife but didn't notice the pipe was gone until it got cool out.  No telling what the miscreants had been smoking out of it anyway.

I don't smoke cigars, but I did just purchase Evan Williams 1783 bourbon based off the comments from the cocktail thread.

Let us know what you think.  It's the best deal in bourbon out there.

I really like the small batch Four Roses, whatever they call it.  Trying the regular Four Roses tonight.  I think I prefer the 1783 and it's cheaper.

I tried it last night.  Not as much character as some of my favorite bourbons, but it finishes smooth.  I do think it is a good deal.

I'm a fan of 4 roses single barrel 100 proof.  Currently my favorite bourbon is Angel's Envy.

Whisky - Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore or Highland Park

Tobacco - an H. Upmann 1844 Reserve or a pipeful of McClelland's British Woods Mixture

Not as much character as some of my favorite bourbons, but it finishes smooth.

So, coming from a neophyte to the whiskey world, what exactly does this mean?

I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that I haven't developed a discerning taste yet, but to me they either taste like sh!t and burn, or taste ok and the burn doesn't really hurt as much as it tastes.  

Do they make a bourbon that doesn't have as much burn?

Everyone has different tastes for me I will do drink Scotch I never found one that I liked and have tried many.  I am not a fan of blended Whiskeys or Bourbons I much prefer single barrel Bourbons.

What most makers do is dump all the barrels into a large vat and blend them together and then they start bottling them.  In a single barrel all the bottles are poured from that single barrel they are labeled with the Barrel # and the bottle #

The key is finding a Bourbon you like and that can get expensive if you are buying bottles.  You can try samples like you can get here   Whiskey samples to find one that you like

Grizzly snuff and whatever IPA, especially Heady when Tim mails me some. Trying a Top Rope from Tallgrass in Ks right now, pretty good.

I much prefer single barrel Bourbons.

What most makers do is dump all the barrels into a large vat and blend them together and then they start bottling them.  In a single barrel all the bottles are poured from that single barrel they are labeled with the Barrel # and the bottle #

I have not found a single barrel that I considered so much better that it was worth the extra cost. Bottling from a single barrel doesn't necessarily make it better. Most distilleries are very consistent. They know their "taste" and can generally get it. There are variations, for sure, but I like the taste I have come to expect. In some of the single barrels I was disappointed because it was off the taste I had come to expect. Better? Or just different?