Whiskey and cigars

MEdooGuide

IMG_1026-M.jpg

I'm a big single malt fan but I'm trying to learn about bourbons as well.

knob creek, woodfords, and buffalo trace...all tasty. Give eagle rare a taste.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HAMMER DOG

• sneem

• Grange

• MEdooGuide

Great way to get through a cold night.

Alone or with someone?

Alone with whiskey is OK.  With someone without whiskey is better, but with someone with whiskey is the best.

Great way to get through a cold night.

Nice glass , where did you get them ?

I won them at my dog club's banquet a couple years ago.  There is a set of four with the others being a woodcock, pheasant, and bobwhite quail.  As you can see the ruffed grouse is my favorite.

IMG_1026-M.jpg

I'm a big single malt fan but I'm trying to learn about bourbons as well.

This looks remarkably similar to liquor cabinet. Good selection!

My personal favorite way to end the day, a nice Bourbon, good stick while reading the news of the day on my tablet.

edited_IMG_20160213_212052440_zpsobr6xlo

I am a big bourbon guy ad along with my beer cellar decided last year it was time to upgrade all aspects so decided to do some reclaimed lumber building.

photo IMG_20160210_142007_zpsfsroinzc.jpg

photo IMG_20160210_142040_zpsapzptwrf.jpg

As to which ones to choose when it comes to Borbon I am first and foremost a Turkey man as evidenced by this beauty

photo IMG_20160215_105321_zpsv56s7cbr.jpg

You ask about stronger cigars and the first brand which comes to mind for American available is Ghurka, my personal favorite of those is the Assassin followed closely by Hedonism. With the change in the Cuba issue my choice would be Ramon Allones which I have been fortunate to have a military buddy who has spirited me a few over the year.

That's a great glass.

I was with family this weekend to do a wine tasting. After we finished with the wine my sister and brother-in-law pulled out several bourbons to taste. I just did a very small tasting of the bourbon as I didn't want to get drunk, but tried 9 different bourbons over the course of the evening.  My favorite one was a Barterhouse 20 year old. It has a lot of flavor and is very smooth to me.

barterhouse-182x300.jpg

My second favorite was Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea.  That one had so much flavor.

81479401064.jpg

I tried the Jefferson's Reserve that is posted above as well and it was good too, but not as much flavor as the Ocean Aged at Sea.

That Barterhouse is a tough one to even find, congrats on sampling it, the Jeffersons at Sea has sadly varied vastly from batch to batch. When Jeffersons first decided to do that experiment it was more than just novel it was unique and produced a wonderful bourbon, the latest batch not so much matter of fact it was quite underwhelming especially for the cost.

The glass, which is a great Bourbon glass for bringing the subtlet nuances to the nose is a D&L Whisky glass developed by some whisky loving Aussies, sadly I could only find one of the instead of a set for tasting. One glass I am looking forward to getting is the new Neat Glass specifically designed for higher proof spirits.

Here was my Great White Whale from last summer, 20 Year Old of the Van Winkle familys finest

photo FB_IMG_1455631709999_zps38xmt2wy.jpg

congrats on sampling it, the Jeffersons at Sea has sadly varied vastly from batch to batch. When Jeffersons first decided to do that experiment it was more than just novel it was unique and produced a wonderful bourbon, the latest batch not so much matter of fact it was quite underwhelming especially for the cost.

Here was my Great White Whale from last summer, 20 Year Old of the Van Winkle familys finest

FB_IMG_1455631709999_zps38xmt2wy.jpg

Aging at sea is not so new. Years ago S. S. Pierce, an old, upscale food merchant in Boston used to sell a type of wine, I believe madeira, that was first brought over in sailing ships. When steam ships came in, the time at sea was diminished and the taste of the wine not so good. Not enough rolling and tossing apparently. They then hired ships to carry the wine back from Europe but to stay at sea the length of time it took the old sailing ships to cross in order to retain the desired flavor. Those were the days.

That Barterhouse is a tough one to even find, congrats on sampling it, the Jeffersons at Sea has sadly varied vastly from batch to batch. When Jeffersons first decided to do that experiment it was more than just novel it was unique and produced a wonderful bourbon, the latest batch not so much matter of fact it was quite underwhelming especially for the cost.

The glass, which is a great Bourbon glass for bringing the subtlet nuances to the nose is a D&L Whisky glass developed by some whisky loving Aussies, sadly I could only find one of the instead of a set for tasting. One glass I am looking forward to getting is the new Neat Glass specifically designed for higher proof spirits.

That bottle is $$$$$$$.

How does it taste?

Nectar of the Gods, and yes it is $$$$ but I had a great trip to Vegas last year and came back with a substantial win on the Craps tables so I splurged. I drink it from a thimble now LOL. If you have ever had the 15 YO which is much cheaper the 20 is far less on the sweet side, spicier, more oak with nice hints of toffee, honey, cinnamon and vanilla and a hint of maple syrup. I got to sample the 23 last year as well thanks to a bartender I know in Vegas and while extraordinary I do not think it justifies the price difference from the 20 and definitely not the 15. All I can say is if you truly love bourbon and ever get a chance you must try any of the PVW ages.
congrats on sampling it, the Jeffersons at Sea has sadly varied vastly from batch to batch. When Jeffersons first decided to do that experiment it was more than just novel it was unique and produced a wonderful bourbon, the latest batch not so much matter of fact it was quite underwhelming especially for the cost.

Aging at sea is not so new. Years ago S. S. Pierce, an old, upscale food merchant in Boston used to sell a type of wine, I believe madeira, that was first brought over in sailing ships. When steam ships came in, the time at sea was diminished and the taste of the wine not so good. Not enough rolling and tossing apparently. They then hired ships to carry the wine back from Europe but to stay at sea the length of time it took the old sailing ships to cross in order to retain the desired flavor. Those were the days.

Sneem for wine it is not uncommon and especially when it comes to Ports fairly common, to the best of my knowledge, as well as the distiller I know locally, Jefersons is the first Bourbon ever done so.

I have a set of neet glasses.  I also use glencairn glasses as well as a canada glencairn.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/canada-glencairn-whiskey-glass/s330345

They are all just a little bit different.  The Neet does let out just a bit more of the alcohol which allows the more subtle flavors/smells to be noticed.  That said, you need to have a pretty good nose to notice the differences it is that subtle.  The glencairn is the standard glass for sampling scotch but also works well for most mid weight 80-100 proof spirits.  Bigger flavors benefit from a bit larger glasses (like brandy).  In general, the more prevalent the heavy notes/flavors are in spirit the bigger/wider the glass I will use.  The canada glencairn is a good bourbon glass to me as it has a lot of volume to collect the bigger sweeter notes but has a wide enough opening to allow some of the alcohol to breath.  Think of it like a rocks glass that holds back some of the flavors.  Highly recommend them, especially when they are only $10 at C&B.

They are also good as cocktail glass which you'd normally put into a rocks glass like an old fashioned or manhattan.

thanks,

rick