Whiskey and cigars

MEdooGuide

I have several of the Candian Glencairn style actually as well as the traditional Glencairns, the traditional is perfect for Scotch but definitely the Candian is better for Bourbon. That release of ethanol fumes especially if you have not opened up the drink with a splash of water is so much more noticeable in the traditional Gelncairn, NEVER sniff Bookers out of one  :laugh: The Neat is probably the only style of glass I do not have  between the beer glasses, wine and whisk(e)y glasses I have and probably the only one I am going to have to order.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HAMMER DOG

• sneem

• Grange

• MEdooGuide

canada-glencairn-whiskey-glass_zpsxkal8n

I have a few very similarly shaped  to those, but stemmed.  They were premiums with Glenlivet holiday offerings a few years back.

glen%20glasses_zps7cqyam0g.jpg

canada-glencairn-whiskey-glass_zpsxkal8n

I have a few very similarly shaped  to those, but stemmed.  They were premiums with Glenlivet holiday offerings a few years back.

glen%20glasses_zps7cqyam0g.jpg

Nice Glen glasses! I beer we call those stemmed a tulip glass, great for DIPAs and Belgian Ales. Never thought about Scotch in them though.

The stemmed Glenlivet are a tulip as noted and are great for sipping scotch or cordials.  They are very different to the canada glencairn though, even if they resemble each other in shape.  The Canada glass is about 2x the diameter of the tulip- it is a proper handful.  That extra size allows a lot more air exchange in and out of the glass which dissipates the alcohol a lot more (and also the lighter flavor vapors).

thanks

rick

I drink cognac, bourbon, scotch and dark rum from a large brandy snifter.

My favorite is a Waterford balloon given to me by my cousin Hugh from northern Scotland which is prime grouse territory.  Time for a visit this year.

This Topic explains why I am a hermit and dont attend many grouse or deer camps.... Whiskey makes me puke, cigars give me a headache and I hate playing cards. But kudos to all of you!
CowboyBirdDogs

Whiskey - Bird Dog Whiskey on ice

Cigars - El Padron Anniversary Series

Wine - Whatever Malbec my rich friends bring for us to drink

Nothing better than getting back to the house after a great day of quail hunting, loading up the grill with mesquite wood, tossing some steaks, quail poppers, or venison on it, a nice glass of whiskey on ice, and a good cigar while we slowly grill the steaks and talk about the days hunt. Then it's wine while we eat the steaks, and maybe after that more whiskey or stick to the wine, whichever.

timberdoodletime

This Topic explains why I am a hermit and dont attend many grouse or deer camps.... Whiskey makes me puke, cigars give me a headache and I hate playing cards. But kudos to all of you!

I am with Brad... But sometimes it can be funny to watch those that choose to drink a few to many glasses.

The stemmed Glenlivet are a tulip as noted and are great for sipping scotch or cordials.  They are very different to the canada glencairn though, even if they resemble each other in shape.  The Canada glass is about 2x the diameter of the tulip- it is a proper handful.  That extra size allows a lot more air exchange in and out of the glass which dissipates the alcohol a lot more (and also the lighter flavor vapors).

thanks

rick

I see that the glencairn is more flared at the top, and these particular Glens are quite small really; way too small for beer IMHO!

In all honesty I prefer a good old rocks glass; no good for the nosing and all that stuff I never knew about until whisky appreciation turned into a science  :D .  They just seem right for an old guy like me.  The wife has some cut crystals by Ralph Lauren but they're kinda heavy; I have a set of old Libbys with bird dogs on 'em that I prefer.

I like the look of the Glencairn Canadian glass.

I have a set of the regular Glencairn Scotch whisky glass.

It is Fuente Friday so for fun I snapped what is on the menu for this afternoon: Aberlour Double Cask 12 year old and an A. Fuente Anejo 888.

Now I need to go pour some whisky back in the bottle. It is a bit early to drink the props.

162601473.BKGImkRt.aberlour02_19_2016.jp

Great photo!  Book cover stuff there!

Thank you I'm glad you liked it.

My better half's first comment was, "You should have moved the Setter figurine a little to the left. Where it is now it looks like it is standing in the glass."

She should have been a photo/art work editor. As always she is spot on. I missed that until she pointed it out.

Now it is time to go enjoy the props.

I am with Brad... But sometimes it can be funny to watch those that choose to drink a few to many glasses.

Yep, make that x3 here, smoke of any kind makes me want to blow lunch. I can tolerate a shot of booze once in a while but what's with all the fancy snifters, etc.  Do ya have to raise a pinky finger when drinking like that?  Where I come from you just wrap up the bottle in a brown paper bag for discreet sipping.

I like the look of the Glencairn Canadian glass.

I have a set of the regular Glencairn Scotch whisky glass.

It is Fuente Friday so for fun I snapped what is on the menu for this afternoon: Aberlour Double Cask 12 year old and an A. Fuente Anejo 888.

Now I need to go pour some whisky back in the bottle. It is a bit early to drink the props.

162601473.BKGImkRt.aberlour02_19_2016.jp

Nice shot and very nice smoke, the Fuente Short story is my most common smoke and I always wait with baited breath for the Opus X release date.