REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MEdooGuide

Hunting with a gopro?

MEdooGuide
Been considering buying an action camera for next season, anyone hunting with a gopro? What's your thoughts? What do you use for mounts?

martyg

I don't see the point. Your experience will be just as real if you don't record it for others to see. IMO, a POV camera is the wrong tool to capture upland unless the birds are bursting forth from your undershirt.

Then their is the issue of who wants to watch your footage. I ski 100+ days a year and on weekends when the gapers come out I inevitably ride the lift with a group that is messing with their POV cameras, only to see that they can barely walk much less ski / ride when they get off of the lift.

IMO a drone is a far more compelling tool for capturing upland.

Brad Eden

I have no desire to hunt with a Go Pro, but sure enjoy videos like this one below:

Hubs Grouse Video

wcpeabody

I mostly agree with Marty's thoughts.  We ski a lot but not as much as Marty.  Both my boys often wear GoPro's.  The older one likes to create 'edits'.  He may record 2-3 hours of skiing in a day and make a couple 15-second video's from it.  

My point is no matter what tool you use, without editing it will just be more boring self-taken video.

As for the mounts, head mounts will give better video but it takes moving your eyes more and your moving head less to get good video from it.  A chest mount would be useless as your arms and gun would block the view during a shot.

I have never tried one of the mounts that hangs above you.

Bill

Iver

I've seen some cool video's... it is amazing how good the cameras are now.

I doubt I will go that route as the editing time is a hurdle for me.    

Soon there will be more value in electronic stuff (go pro, mounts, alpha, tek2) on any given hunt than the value in the dogs or guns.  

I did like Hub's video and do admire the amount of time he put into it.

martyg

WC brings up a good point - edit time - which is what has kept me away from video. I'd rather be outside playing than editing video for a few of my friends to watch. However I am increasingly finding professional applications for video so I do need to spend the time.

Here's a thought.... And I am not being critical but am actively trying to direct your attention to something that would provide better ROI. I assume that you are relatively young. Take the money that you would have spent on a GoPro and time in editing and invest those resources in the stock market. We are undervalued now and with diligence maybe that small sum that you invest now may be five figures in a few decades. Electronics, IMO, unless they are a work tool that helps generate wealth (and my sound system falls in that category), is like putting money in a shredder.

Of course, if you are in marketing, PR or communications editing should be part of your quiver of professional tools.

dgfavor

Been considering buying an action camera for next season, anyone hunting with a gopro? What's your thoughts? What do you use for mounts?

I use a GoPro Hero 3+ mounted to a Feiyu Tech brushless 3 axis gimble.  Handheld gives best results but that's not conducive to hunting/shooting.  The best place I have found to body mount it is on my left vest strap which I have done with a DIY PVC/set screw set up...unfortunately that set up does block some of the flushes and shooting.  They make a new wearable gimbal that I think would mount on top of the shoulder straps and offer great views down the gun on the right shoulder or capture better action on the left shoulder.  I typically shoot 1080p, 60fps, narrow FOV.  I use Premier Elements 14 for editing - super fast, super easy.  Personally I enjoy the challenge of trying to clearly capture the action, whether with still camera or video, and every time I put something together it triggers ideas for doing better next time.  Great way to store and revisit memories of days gone by.

From the archives:

http://www.vimeo.com/153576004  (this one does have some handheld IPhone footage that I think you will easily see the difference in quality and steadiness vs. the GoPro/Gimbal set up)

http://www.vimeo.com/114622170

http://www.vimeo.com/123781585

http://www.vimeo.com/120995376

http://www.vimeo.com/118317953

So far my GoPro camera has held it's value better than a share of GoPro, down 75% YOY...now if you would have bought your share yesterday, you'd have had a nice run up today! :laugh:

Hub
I have about $200 into my Gopro that I bought off Craigslist and extra batteries and SD cards.  I bet it took 4 or 5 hours to tack together the footage for my grouse video this year.  I bet I spent triple that time cleaning guns and waxing boots during the season.  It definitely took longer to hand load the shells for the season.  Even if I was never going to edit my stuff and share on the Uj....I would watch my clips to see where and how I missed and slomo of what it looks like done perfect.  When my dog spooks a deer and it runs by at arms length it is captured on video not just in my mind's eye.  When a woodcock comes buzzing by 6 inches off my face I can watch it at 100 frames a second and see every wingbeat and feather.  My journal has been replaced by video.  I can't tell you what I would trade to have footage of my first dogs, let alone my first hunts like I have with my boy.  When I am in my after the season funk and its too cold and dark to get much done after a long day at work its pretty darn nice to rewind the fall and relive the hunt a few snippets at a time.

Hub
Take the money that you would have spent on a GoPro and time in editing and invest those resources in the stock market. We are undervalued now and with diligence maybe that small sum that you invest now may be five figures in a few decades.

On a side note....Maybe you have your figures wrong or I am bad at interpreting sarcasm, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about 5 figures in 20 years.  You want to really save some money, give up hunting, get rid of yours dogs, sell your truck and buy that Ford Fiesta.  Sit around talking to your wife about how nice the lawn looks instead of taking hunting trips.  I will be at the shack, acting like a big kid, with the dogs messing around as much as possible if you need to get a hold of me.

Flairball
The kiss of death. Turn it on, not a bird is killed or a fish hooked. Turn it off, you won't need your second barrel and every fish you land is a monster.

Dogwood
Take the money that you would have spent on a GoPro and time in editing and invest those resources in the stock market. We are undervalued now and with diligence maybe that small sum that you invest now may be five figures in a few decades.

On a side note....Maybe you have your figures wrong or I am bad at interpreting sarcasm, but I couldn't give a rat's ass about 5 figures in 20 years.  You want to really save some money, give up hunting, get rid of yours dogs, sell your truck and buy that Ford Fiesta.  Sit around talking to your wife about how nice the lawn looks instead of taking hunting trips.  I will be at the shack, acting like a big kid, with the dogs messing around as much as possible if you need to get a hold of me.

Good one  :D  !

topdog1961

I can see both sides of this point. I don't think a few hundred $ will make or break anyone's future. But everyone should care about retirement investing. Personally I promptly spent about $5,000 on electronics (stereo equipment)when I graduated college in the mid 80s. Those things are important to a 22 year old with money for the first time in his life. I also have contributed to a 401k since then. But if I had taken that $5,000 and bought into any decent mutual fund, I might be retired now instead of hanging on for a few more years.

Edit: out of curiosity I did the math. Based upon Dow Jones average growth that $5,000 stereo cost me $75,000 in today's money. Now if I had just bought Apple stock....

martyg

I can see both sides of this point. I don't think a few hundred $ will make or break anyone's future. But everyone should care about retirement investing. Personally I promptly spent about $5,000 on electronics (stereo equipment)when I graduated college in the mid 80s. Those things are important to a 22 year old with money for the first time in his life. I also have contributed to a 401k since then. But if I had taken that $5,000 and bought into any decent mutual fund, I might be retired now instead of hanging on for a few more years.

Agreed. One has to weigh what improves their quality of life verses what is the prudent thing to do with one's resources, and I see far too many people putting too little weight on the second. Electronics, by their nature, are obsolete in 12 months and worth little if liquidated.

When I was in the service my colleagues craved bitchin' stereos and motorcycles. I craved stocks. At the end of four years, having made $5K - $10K per year from wages I had amassed $40K through investing. $40K was real money back then. If I thought that video production was important to my future professional prospects (and it may be - I am weighing that now) I wouldn't hesitate to invest $10K in gear and 6 months in acquiring the skills.

I have never felt limited. If anything, I have lived twice the life that many have. I'm 56, play 200+ days outside per year and do so in places that others dream about. Through it all I never lost sight on what is an asset (businesses that produce residual income / can be sold, stocks, bonds, investment real-estate, IP, and what a liability is (mostly possessions). For 95% of the people that I see outdoors dedicated video gear is a drain.

dgfavor

For 95% of the people that I see outdoors dedicated video gear is a drain.

What are the criteria to get into the 5% where video gear is not a drain?  Maybe it's some sort of formula like (net worth x skill level/depreciation rate of video gear).  ???

hunthemup

I'm of old school and probably would not go the gopro way. Having said that my son is and has video some of our hunts and fishing. THEY ARE IMPRESSIVE. In one hunt, they strapped the camera to the dog (dog harness), It was awesome. On another angle, he place it on the gun barrel.

etc. He is editing etc. I am not one to purchase one but would use his if needed  to. Do enjoy seeing the dog work on them and a look back on quality time spent. I am with Hub in this one.