REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MEdooGuide

Hunting with a gopro?

dgfavor
The GoPro units are solid and are fantastic for capturing action footage.  I have a Hero 4 Silver and a Session.  I've shot tons of footage with these cameras and the quality is amazing.  With the right mounts they are extremely versatile units and I would not hesitate to recommend a GP.   Here is a link to some of the first video footage I shot and edited:  Woodcock Spring Training

That said, shooting video is the easy part.  Editing can be very time consuming.  The video link I just posted is super amateur and the quality is so-so due to my limitations as a video editor.

Good job man!  Fun stuff!  :D

ErikT
The GoPro units are solid and are fantastic for capturing action footage.  I have a Hero 4 Silver and a Session.  I've shot tons of footage with these cameras and the quality is amazing.  With the right mounts they are extremely versatile units and I would not hesitate to recommend a GP.   Here is a link to some of the first video footage I shot and edited:  Woodcock Spring Training

That said, shooting video is the easy part.  Editing can be very time consuming.  The video link I just posted is super amateur and the quality is so-so due to my limitations as a video editor.

Nice but about that music....  :p

I can pick up the Session now for ~$175 so been looking into them. Want something for mounting on the hat and the Session being smaller and lighter looks like it would be perfect. Realize they only have 2 hour battery life, less in cold, and the battery can't be swapped out in the field but think it still would work for what I'm looking at doing.

One concern that I have with the GoPro though is the FOV, some of the footage I see the FOV is just too wide and it is hard to see birds flushing well or the dog working at 30 yards or so away, they usually don't say which model was used. Looks like the Session doesn't have an adjustable FOV? Do you feel the FOV on the Session is acceptable at 30 or so yards away for clearly seeing birds and the dog? I hunt a flusher so not sure if it work as well as a Silver but not looking to spend that much money either. Thanks!

Sorry, I cant help you with your lack of taste in good music  :D

As for the Session,  it definitely has its limitations but you can't beat it when it comes to size. I've used mine on guns, bows, and dogs and on other various fixed mounts.  The regular GP units can also be worn quite comfortably over a hat as well. One of the cons of the Session is that you have to change settings using a smartphone or spend the extra $$ for a remote.  The battery life is also a con so you're mainly using the Session for  quick on-and-off  action shots.  From memory, I think it has 2 settings for FOV: normal, and wide.

Regarding the FOV issue:  Keep in mind that the GP units are really built for close quarters POV action but the FOV can be changed in the settings and even more so during the editing process.  So, instead of zooming while filming footage, you have the ability to zoom in on frames while editing.  You can easily capture dogs working, flushing, and shooting a bird at 30 yards or so.  

Hope this helps.

Scar

Purchased a GoPro 4 Session and some mounts a couple weeks ago.  So far I've used it to video a fishing trip, dog training session, archery practice, filling deer feeders w/buddies and my eldest daughter doing her homework.  I've spent some time playing with the editing software and can see how that will be both addictive and rewarding although time consuming. 

I started carrying a digital camera with me while hunting 15 years ago.  My friends and family would make fun of me, "we're hunting not taking pictures dammit!".  I've put the best of my pictures on my Flickr account and share them when I add more.  My friends and family tell me how much they enjoy seeing the pictures and nowadays they don't make fun of my camera.  The GoPro seems like a natural extension of what I've already been doing.  I plan to video as much of the coming hunting year as possible and edit it all down to a composite video to share with friends and family next summer.

Perhaps the videoing/photography is a bit narcissistic although I personally feel my strongest motivation is preserving the moments and relationships that comprise so much of the fabric of my life.  I've seen so many wonderful things afield it just seems natural to want to share even a fraction.

BTW anybody have any hints on good bird hunting mounts/setups?  I have a dog mount and a head mount.  I've been thinking of adding the sportsman mount but am not sure about the quality of the footage "from the gun".  I also bowhunt deer and elk so would be interested in any suggestions for archery mounts.

vabirddog

A "follow me" drone is the way to go. Get you, your partner, dogs, flush, shots, all from above. Some so small they are easily carried in a vest. Deploy the drone as you walk to the point. We should all chip in and get and get Roy one. We could instantly have the #1 outdoor show in North America.

Scar
19 hours ago, vabirddog said:

A "follow me" drone is the way to go. Get you, your partner, dogs, flush, shots, all from above. Some so small they are easily carried in a vest. Deploy the drone as you walk to the point. We should all chip in and get and get Roy one. We could instantly have the #1 outdoor show in North America.

Checked Amazon.  OMG there are some cool drones for sale!  Now I want one.   A buddy has one as a toy.  He and I are going to try it out some this fall/winter.  I'll keep you updated!

GSPpurist
On February 16, 2016 at 3:38 PM, dgfavor said:

GSPpurist
On February 16, 2016 at 3:38 PM, dgfavor said:

I use a GoPro Hero 3+ mounted to a Feiyu Tech brushless 3 axis gimble.  Handheld gives best results but that's not conducive to hunting/shooting.  The best place I have found to body mount it is on my left vest strap which I have done with a DIY PVC/set screw set up...unfortunately that set up does block some of the flushes and shooting.  They make a new wearable gimbal that I think would mount on top of the shoulder straps and offer great views down the gun on the right shoulder or capture better action on the left shoulder.  I typically shoot 1080p, 60fps, narrow FOV.  I use Premier Elements 14 for editing - super fast, super easy.  Personally I enjoy the challenge of trying to clearly capture the action, whether with still camera or video, and every time I put something together it triggers ideas for doing better next time.  Great way to store and revisit memories of days gone by.

From the archives:

http://www.vimeo.com/153576004  (this one does have some handheld IPhone footage that I think you will easily see the difference in quality and steadiness vs. the GoPro/Gimbal set up)

http://www.vimeo.com/114622170

http://www.vimeo.com/123781585

http://www.vimeo.com/120995376

http://www.vimeo.com/118317953

So far my GoPro camera has held it's value better than a share of GoPro, down 75% YOY...now if you would have bought your share yesterday, you'd have had a nice run up today! :laugh:

Your vid has intrigued me regarding gimbles.  Haven't found one I like yet...hoping someone comes up with some better options such as a compact head mount.  I like you idea of the PVC mount.  Will look into it. Can you supply a pic of your setup?

GSPpurist

I have been using the GoPro since 2011 with varying degree of results.  Currently went with the GoPro Black because of the improved processor function.

My recs:

1. Keep the video at the highest frame rate as possible.  I am currenlty using 720p at 120 fps.

2. Narrow FOV is a must.  Don't expect to get great vid if they flush at 40+ yards.  The best video is pheasant on relatively little in the background.  Large birds with sky in the background is the best for viewing.  I have never had any need to have higher resolution than 720 because I watch them on Youtube, not my TV (1080, 4k).  Hardest birds to video, quail/grouse in thickets.  Too much background obscuring birds.

3. I had to train myself to keep my head steady, while approaching a dog on point.  That produces the best vids.

2015 season

2014 season

2013 Season

dgfavor

Can you supply a pic of your setup?

Here is my latest setup for riding my horse:  

This was my first effort with this setup and the mount was kind of loose - got things tilted but still decently smooth and watchable...just crank your neck:

I've got a new mount for the wearable gimble that is going to work real good when I get in the field with my hunting vest - it's a mount that attaches firmly to the shoulder strap of my vest and the wearable gimble mounts to it.  Really steady and firm. Better than my PVC system I set up for the handheld gimble.

Scar

Tried out a a head mount this weekend on dove.  After 1.5 hours of edit work here's what I came up with.

29350092352_3ed6f0db49_z.jpg

Left click the photo and it takes you to the video.... sorry for the trouble just learning.

Sethh

That's some pretty good footage!

Dave Quindt

Any of you with GoPro experience have an opinion on the new Hero 5 camera?  Do any of the enhancements make it more or less attractive for use in an upland hunting application?  I was planning on buying a GoPro in the next few weeks and am considering the new model.  While being an early adopter of a new product isn't normally my preference, the lack of a housing and image stabilization makes this one attractive. I am concerned about the touchscreen interface, as I hunt with gloves most of the time.

And yes, I understand I'm asking for opinions about a camera that hasn't been released to the public yet.

More info on the new camera here: http://www.cnet.com/products/gopro-hero5/

Thanks,
Dave

Scar

I've been using my Hero 4 Session every hunt this season.  Editing takes time but I've put what few videos I've edited up on my YouTube channel.  I've used the screen grab function to preserve some pretty neat still images.

31438790870_6fe0f6d44e_z.jpg

30312722643_4f6e68ffc4_z.jpg

31278601391_1a79de1597_z.jpg

Only problem I've had so far is my $50 64GB SanDisk mini-SD went belly up.  I'm guessing the cameras are hard on SD's.

braque du upstate

Steelhead Fred on this site does a great job with go pro. Check out his youtube channel consummate sportsman. Mostly fishing . Has some fun with wingshooting videos.  My kid mucks about with a contour brand camera.  Worked great till he dropped it in the marsh. a good mounting system is a must. 

Scar

Bought a drone this weekend.  Yuneek Q500.  Flown it twice today and I can tell it's going to be a blast to fly just for kicks.  I took it up to 125' and shot video of my house and neighborhood this evening.  I'll link the YouTube vids once they're uploaded.  The camera on it takes better video at a faster frame rate than my GoPro.  The kit I bought has a detachable gimbal for the camera that can be hand-held for action footage.  I may use that quite a bit for some hunting video.

I can already tell I'll have to set up the "ideal" situation to get drone video of wild quail hunting.  It's doable but will take some effort.  With the 20 minute fly time you can't just launch it, set it on follow and go hunt. I'm going to play with it over the summer and find a covey to video opening day next year.  I'll keep you posted.