REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
provident

Cabelas new guarantee policy?

provident
A friend of mine just went to the Scarborough, Maine store and was about to buy some hunting boots until the salesperson told him that they were guaranteed for a period of 90 days. He declined. I just checked their web page and the guarantee is listed as lifetime for Cabelas shoes and clothes, 1 year for other Cabelas labeled items, and 90 days for all else. It seems to me that I remember their guarantee policy being like LL Beans, that things were guaranteed forever. This policy does not please me or cause me to want to support them as I have in the past. Any thoughts?

Randy S

I'm not a Cabela's fan to begin with, but unless I received bad information, LL Bean's guarantee isn't what it once was either. Years ago I purchased two pair of Bean boots with the understanding that they would either resole or re-leather their boots for a charge of $35 a pair. They sent you a postage paid shipping container and returned your improved boots for the price. I tried to send them in a couple of years ago and couldn't find the information on their web site. Called the store and was told they discontinued the program.

In the corporate world, I don't think there's a warranty today that can be relied on tomorrow.

As an example of Cabela's pricing: Just last summer I looked at Betts panfish poppers at Cabela's in Owatona MN. They were priced at nearly $5.00 each. My wife laughed out loud when she saw my reaction to the price. I then bought the identical poppers at Blain's Fleet Farm at home for $1.80 each. I'm fortunate to be old enough to have overstocked most of the outdoor gear I'll ever need other than those poppers.

George Foster

Randy,

Your information as to the Bean boots is incorrect, and the ones I wear are still called Maine Hunting Shoe.  I have been wearing them for years, have two pair at the moment.  The one pair I have had rebuilt twice so far the latest time last year.  The cost both times has been $39.  I would suggest you call LLBeans customer service again.

George Foster
Just as an update I just called LLBean at 1-800-441-5713 and asked if they still resole the Maine Hunting Shoe and the Bean Boot and I was told YES.  The lady I spoke to was amazed that someone was told they didn't. She said they had done it for years and would be doing it for years to come.

Natty Bumpo

Just as an update I just called LLBean at 1-800-441-5713 and asked if they still resole the Maine Hunting Shoe and the Bean Boot and I was told YES.  The lady I spoke to was amazed that someone was told they didn't. She said they had done it for years and would be doing it for years to come.

GLAD to hear they are continuing on this path. . I'm on my second or third pair of MHS and mine have been resoled 2-3  times, each. And always at about the same price as quoted above. Nobody stands behind their products like LLB.

I rotate four different kinds of upland hunting boots, depending on conditions. But the LLB MHS remains a favorite.

mister grouse
been a cabbalas waterfowl wader user for decades.  They changed the policy in those waders apparently about a year ago.  Some days the chinese don't make the seams right and if yours don't fail in the first twelve months but separate in the 13th month you are screwed.   they have lost me as a buyer for waterfowl waders.

Wyo
The Peoples Republic of China thanks you for shopping at Cabelas

Randy S

Thanks George for the LL Bean confirmation. I had the local Amish resew  the seams a couple years ago and they're watertight once again. I have to say, I put more than 50 miles a year on each pair of those boots for nearly 20 years and they're still going, but could definitely use new soles.  

Thanks again!

Flyline
I'm waiting for my backup Bean boots to return from getting new soles as I type. I believe the charge was $39. Have been doing it for years and rotate one pair, as the other is sent away. Great service.

Dave in Maine

Keep in mind that for Beans to resole your Maine Hunting Shoes, it's no big deal.  They make the bottoms themselves in Brunswick.  In fact, there was a news article last year concerning the fashion rage for the Maine Hunting Shoe - which made them almost impossible to buy immediately, at least from the catalog - to the effect that Beans decided to spring for the million-plus dollars for another moulding machine to make more bottoms to meet the demand.  That, and they added new bootmakers - takes 6 months to train one - which they'd held off doing until last spring.  

I bought my pair in 1996 and they're still doing great.  I had to have them resoled 2 or 3 years ago after the stitching gave out and I got seriously wet feet while hunting woodcock.  Took them to the customer service window at Freeport.  The only question I got was "do you want a new pair of boots or just resoled?"  I told them the uppers were just getting broken in the way I like, so new soles were all I needed.  A week later they arrived back at my door.

Brad Eden

Keep in mind that for Beans to resole your Maine Hunting Shoes, it's no big deal.  They make the bottoms themselves in Brunswick.  In fact, there was a news article last year concerning the fashion rage for the Maine Hunting Shoe - which made them almost impossible to buy immediately, at least from the catalog - ...

FWIW. There is the classic and original Maine Hunting Shoe and the Bean Boot. They stopped making the "Shoe" for awhile renaming it the Bean Boot, but brought it back not so long ago.

The Bean Boot is whats all the rage with the hipsters now.

My understanding is the difference between the Bean Boot and the Hunting Shoe is the Hunting Shoe has an upgraded leather upper and a more stable/reinforced arch/sole. Rumor also has it that once the Shoe became fashionable they had too soft a rubber which was great for feel in the woods, but wore out on asphalt. So once reincaranated as the  Bean Boot they were made with harder rubber bottoms.

Craig Doherty
As to the OP, I'm pretty sure the guarantee policy you quoted has been in effect for quite awhile which is why when I shop for footwear at Cabelas I always buy boots with the Cabelas name on them.  Have returned at least to pairs of "Cabelas" Meindl Denalis and a pair of their rubber boots without a question.

mister grouse
My waders have "Cabelas" right across the front in three inch high letters yet   they respectfully and firmly say one year warranty on waders.  period.  end of story.  fwiw

bigjohnsd

When the Cabela's family sold out their guarantee policy was drastically revised.  

I can understand why, folks headed west for a hunt would stop in one of the new stores along the way, completely outfit themselves with clothes and gear, then stop on the way back and return it.

Ive never had a problem returning something at Cabelas that actually warranted a return or an exchange.