REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Ram truck reliability

WhatsDaPoint

I have a 2016 2500 Mega Cab diesel on order. I'm going to put a Caravan Camper and maggiolina tent on it and hunt out of it this fall.

Don't have to have a diesel, but do HAVE to have a 5 speed. Ram 2500 diesel is the only full size option when it comes to manual transmissions.

Kansas Bound
I have a 2016 2500 Mega Cab diesel on order. I'm going to put a Caravan Camper and maggiolina tent on it and hunt out of it this fall.

Don't have to have a diesel, but do HAVE to have a 5 speed. Ram 2500 diesel is the only full size option when it comes to manual transmissions.

Let me know how the Maggiolina works out for you.  It has always intrigued me.

WhatsDaPoint

Will do. The US distributor of maggiolina is on this site. Chuckarman I think.

Trying to set up the truck as my dream upland rig.

Ram 2500 mega cab diesel 5 speed.

Caravan Camper. http://www.caravancamper.com

Maggiolina Airtop. http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tent/maggiolina-airtop-tent.php

Titan spare tire aux fuel. https://titanfueltanks.com/product-category/stafs/

Decked drawer system. http://decked.com

National Luna power pack and fridge/freezer. http://www.nationalluna.com

Researching awnings as well. I am open to any other ideas.

braque du upstate
3k is a bit steep, looks cool

WDGS

Last 10 years I drove a GMC 1500 - great truck. Very reliable.

This time around I went with a Ram 1500 ecodiesel. It has great power and in 4x4 I avg 24.5mpg and get 30mpg on the highway. Ive only had the truck for the year -like ws mentioned by another poster - only time will tell in terms of long term reliability.

While the engine was the driving force for me to go with Ram after looking at all the different trucks on the market I really like the ride as well as the interior of the ram and found the interior to be quite superior to the mid-range ford and gmc/chevy - FCA has seemingly done a lot to improve every facet of their trucks.

bobman

If you ever want to go to a different camper you will wish you bought the 3500 not much more money but a lot higher payload

Modern truck campers are heavy

Kansas Bound
Will do. The US distributor of maggiolina is on this site. Chuckarman I think.

Trying to set up the truck as my dream upland rig.

Ram 2500 mega cab diesel 5 speed.

Caravan Camper. http://www.caravancamper.com

Maggiolina Airtop. http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tent/maggiolina-airtop-tent.php

Titan spare tire aux fuel. https://titanfueltanks.com/product-category/stafs/

Decked drawer system. http://decked.com

National Luna power pack and fridge/freezer. http://www.nationalluna.com

Researching awnings as well. I am open to any other ideas.

It might be worth looking into since you are close.  I have heard for truck bed storage contact  Ainley they will custom make storage out of stainless steel for almost the same price. Just a thought.

Make sure you take lots of pics.  I really like your setup and have considered it many times.

Flush

Pretty sure the only manual in the Ram is a 6 speed.

JWP58
Im thinking of taking a chance and going for a Power Wagon next year. The front/rear lockers, winch, and ground clearance is a sweet combo

WeeWilly

Pretty sure the only manual in the Ram is a 6 speed.

The transmission should be a Mercedes G56 that will need a clutch around 30-40 thousand miles. South Bend and Valair are great choices and be sure to replace the input shaft retainer also ( I learned the hard way).

drummer's stump
Let me just say all trucks suck! They are not built to be trucks, but oversized cars. I work in the north Maine woods, and drive on average a 100 miles a day on logging roads, some are class 1 roads, some are class 3. A class 1 road is major haul road, and class 3 road is path through the cedar swamps. My company runs Ford,GM, and now finally Toyota. The Fords are prone to electrical problems, and the tailgates are like soda cans(busted mine yesterday on a frost heave with a sled in the back), but overall are not a bad truck. The GM's don't have enough ground clearance, and go through wheel bearings like mad. The Toyota's are by far the most rugged truck out there, but are pricey to fix when they break, and the fuel economy is not great. The Ram's sad to say just don't hold up to the abuse of the woods. Out west a lot of loggers run them to 50 or 60K and send it down the road, but the dry climate and overall road quality are more conducive  to pickup longevity. The bench mark for my company is 100k, and the Ram's don't make it. The GM's barely do, but the Fords, and Toyota's seem to be able to handle it the best. My currant truck is a 2011 F150 with 106,000 on it, and other than a few ghost warning lights she is just fine. Unfortunately tomorrow I get a new silver bullet(all our trucks are silver), a 2016 sierra and the ground clearance is better, but I wish it was a Ford or Toyota. My boss is getting a Tundra, pr!ck!

gunsrus
Let me just say all trucks suck! They are not built to be trucks, but oversized cars. I work in the north Maine woods, and drive on average a 100 miles a day on logging roads, some are class 1 roads, some are class 3. A class 1 road is major haul road, and class 3 road is path through the cedar swamps. My company runs Ford,GM, and now finally Toyota. The Fords are prone to electrical problems, and the tailgates are like soda cans(busted mine yesterday on a frost heave with a sled in the back), but overall are not a bad truck. The GM's don't have enough ground clearance, and go through wheel bearings like mad. The Toyota's are by far the most rugged truck out there, but are pricey to fix when they break, and the fuel economy is not great. The Ram's sad to say just don't hold up to the abuse of the woods. Out west a lot of loggers run them to 50 or 60K and send it down the road, but the dry climate and overall road quality are more conducive  to pickup longevity. The bench mark for my company is 100k, and the Ram's don't make it. The GM's barely do, but the Fords, and Toyota's seem to be able to handle it the best. My currant truck is a 2011 F150 with 106,000 on it, and other than a few ghost warning lights she is just fine. Unfortunately tomorrow I get a new silver bullet(all our trucks are silver), a 2016 sierra and the ground clearance is better, but I wish it was a Ford or Toyota. My boss is getting a Tundra, pr!ck!

You have anger issues . Don't take it out on my dogs !

ThomGordon
I drive a 2013 Ford F 150 as a work truck it by far has more mechanical & build issues than my 2012 Ram 1500 both in the thirty thousand mileage range. Ford motors r pitiful compared to the competition and in my opinion are the worst company to finance through. Go Toyota if your near sighted

WI Outdoor Nut

I always appreciate someone's POV who has a fleet of vehicles - because generally speaking, those trucks are way more abused than what I will ever do to my trucks.  Then I use this info as a data point and go from there to make my decision.

It is interesting you mention dodge and chevy not holding up.  I agree on Chevy with the wheel bearings.  Poor design and because they did not change the design, was part of the reason I did not purchase them again.  On my last chevy, 6 wheel bearings in 100K miles at $300 each if I did it on my own.  

My brothers company also has a fleet of trucks and they rank theirs #1 dodge, chevy then ford.  So that is interesting.  But then he bought a new ecodiesel Dodge and having all sorts of issues (electrical/emissions).  

FWIW - I did own 2 Toyota's (compact with R22 motor and T100 with a dog of a 6 cyc).  Maybe on my next truck I will have to look at them again.  Right now, very happy with my '12 F150 ecoboost.

blanked
What doesn't make sense to me about Chevy is the 1/2 ton has a bigger gas engine than the 3/4 ton.  What Einstein thought of that