REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ThreeDogs

New Ford 150?

ThreeDogs

My father-in-law just got a new F150 Lariat , wow what a nice truck! I have been seriously considering it. I currently drive a Volvo suv. I have owned full size trucks in the past but as much as I drive for work the lousy mpg finally got the best of me.....my Volvo gets 20 mpg average and believe it or not will go just about anywhere a truck can go stupid thing would blow your mind off road for a sissy car...but it's small I miss a truck.

The notion of a full size truck that gets 19 mpg average is very tempting and the new Lariats are borderline luxury vehicles inside and out. I don't tow when I do it's just my drift boat or a trailer with a couple snowmobiles my Volvo pulls them no problem.

If you own one what do you think? What's the maintainer like? Are they as nice as the look?

Doubleplay
If you don't pull anything heavier stick to your Volvo. A truck with an empty bed is not a good off road vehicle specially with the overhangs and don't believe the MPG numbers. I had an echo-boost V6 and was averaging 15-16 overall. The numbers are for driving 55mph on the highway not for real world.

terrym
I would stick to the V8. Not enough difference in gas mileage and proven reliability. The new trucks with 6 and even 8 speed trannys are great on gas. I get 800 kms on a tank when cruising on the hiway with a 5.7 Hemi. Pay attention to rear diff ratios when ordering, that can affect mileage too.

WI Outdoor Nut
Co-worker of mine is running an F150 with the 2.7 eco.  He loves the truck and kind of was in the same situation as you.  He wanted a truck, but did not really need one - which I think is fine btw.  The truck replaced a ford edge.  He is seeing about 19 mpg overall.  I drove the truck and if you are not doing any serious pulling, it is a fine vehicle.  Just expect to take a hit on the resale with the smaller motor.

12ette

F-150, 5.0 4x4 SCrew with 3.55s, I am getting 18.5-19.2 combined and its mostly city, I would bet close to 80%.  Highway I see 21 all day at 65-70.  

When I was looking I looked hard at the EB, but in the end the cost, against the mileage would take almost 80k mi to break even.  IIRC the cost was >$2,000 more and I was figuring $2.50/gal.  The 2.7 was not available yet so I was looking at the 3.5.  

The other consideration was towing, I don't have anything that heavy to tow, a 7,000lbs TT (wet) is the most extreme scenario.  I have all the towing goodies except the 3.73, did not see a need for this.  

The 2.7 is built like a diesel with a CGI block etc...  So I am not sure reliability is a problem.  I do recall being told if you commute is short and the engine/turbos do not warm up, they do not work well.  I have also been told they suffer in the winter too.  This may be BS, and I am sure someone will correct me, just saying I have head this more than once and its a topic on F150 sites.

bobman
F-150, 5.0 4x4 SCrew with 3.55s, I am getting 18.5-19.2 combined and its mostly city, I would bet close to 80%.  Highway I see 21 all day at 65-70.  

When I was looking I looked hard at the EB, but in the end the cost, against the mileage would take almost 80k mi to break even.  IIRC the cost was >$2,000 more and I was figuring $2.50/gal.  The 2.7 was not available yet so I was looking at the 3.5.  

The other consideration was towing, I don't have anything that heavy to tow, a 7,000lbs TT (wet) is the most extreme scenario.  I have all the towing goodies except the 3.73, did not see a need for this.  

The 2.7 is built like a diesel with a CGI block etc...  So I am not sure reliability is a problem.  I do recall being told if you commute is short and the engine/turbos do not warm up, they do not work well.  I have also been told they suffer in the winter too.  This may be BS, and I am sure someone will correct me, just saying I have head this more than once and its a topic on F150 sites.

IMO

Any gas engine with turbos and the controls necessary to keep it from detonating is going to be expensive to maintain when stuff starts getting a lot of age on it. If you buy a vehicle and keep it a long time I would avoid the Eco boost

I would buy the same set up as 12ette outlined

Wyo

I just took delivery of a special order, 2016 XLT 4-Door w/2.7 ecoboost, Off Road 4x4 package and aluminum body. Due to a fleet program I'm eligible for, got it at a no haggle deal of $8,640 below invoice.

Put over 600 miles on it already, 25% town/75% highway and got 22 mpg (it's rated up to 26 mpg Hwy driving).

Climbed some steep hills and the rpm gauge never moved. Plenty of power with the 2.7 ecoboost. There's a lot of BS floating around about this engine...but talk to someone who's got it under the hood and you'll hear zero complaints. Very smooth & comfy ride

I wouldn't pull a load of elephants with this truck, but a reasonable camper trailer or boat would be no problem. Flip the backseats up and you have room for 8 large dogs

truck1_zps1inljkzy.jpg

truck2_zpsmq18niou.jpg

truck3_zpsrwqq4her.jpg

dogrunner
A buddy thats been looking said there are 2.7 2015 still out there with good incentives.

ThreeDogs
I just took delivery of a special order, 2016 XLT 4-Door w/2.7 ecoboost, Off Road 4x4 package and aluminum body. Due to a fleet program I'm eligible for, got it at a no haggle deal of $8,640 below invoice.

Put over 600 miles on it already, 25% town/75% highway and got 22 mpg (it's rated up to 26 mpg Hwy driving).

Climbed some steep hills and the rpm gauge never moved. Plenty of power with the 2.7 ecoboost. There's a lot of BS floating around about this engine...but talk to someone who's got it under the hood and you'll hear zero complaints. Very smooth & comfy ride

I wouldn't pull a load of elephants with this truck, but a reasonable camper trailer or boat would be no problem. Flip the backseats up and you have room for 8 large dogs

truck1_zps1inljkzy.jpg

truck2_zpsmq18niou.jpg

truck3_zpsrwqq4her.jpg

Pat, exactly same truck I am interested in same color except black inside lariat version. Nice trucks IMHO.

btomlin
A friend of mine gets 21.5 according to the computer in his 2015 3.5eco. This is his 3rd eco 3.5 truck and he has gotten over 20 on all of them.  He gets them with 3.55 gears.  I'm guessing he's a 25city/75%highway with no interstate driving.  He says the 2015 F150 is the best truck he has ever owned.  He is 65 and has traded every 2-3 years his entire life so he has had a few.

tricker
Looked locally and there's some pretty decent priced trucks for what I'd be looking for.  But just can't justify replacing the tank quite yet.  Paid for and just replaced the cam phazers, spark plugs and a bunch of other stuff. Don't need 4 doors for a year or two.  Not much demand for a 2 door basic F150 out there  :down:

Doubleplay
A friend of mine gets 21.5 according to the computer in his 2015 3.5eco. This is his 3rd eco 3.5 truck and he has gotten over 20 on all of them.  He gets them with 3.55 gears.  I'm guessing he's a 25city/75%highway with no interstate driving.  He says the 2015 F150 is the best truck he has ever owned.  He is 65 and has traded every 2-3 years his entire life so he has had a few.

I had an 2012 3.5 Ecoboost and I was barely getting 16.5 mpg in a 50-50 city- interstate driving.

The numbers are only valid if you don't go over 55-60 mph.

At that point I decided to never buy a gas engine and a 1/2 ton again.

Pudgy gopher

I went from a 7.3 Excursion to a 2014 Eco boost SCREW.  I thougth I would miss the power but I am not. I like the ride with SCREW. My mileage is between about 18 mostly tarred county roads and small towns. I have 70,000 on it with no issues, Knock on wood. The only complaint I have is that the front end is a little low. If you are following behind the grader on dirt roads you have be careful on the center pile or the scoop my rub on it. also when driving down wet dirt roads the front end seems a light and you actually have to drive.  That may be because with a 1 ton diesel  it just went were ever you pointed it.

I will be getting another when the warranty is up on this one.

dogrunner
I had a 2011 3.5  Eco the only time it got over 20mpg is if I drove slooower than grandpa  :laugh: . My last 2 have been 5.0 but I did like the grunt of those turbos, might get another 3.5 this fall.

Wyo

the 2015-16's (and I assume future F-150 models) have the aluminum bodies which shaves 700 lb. off the vehicle.

I'm sure lightening up the truck will boost mileage plus towing/hauling efficiency.

I know more then a few folks with the pre 2015's 3.5 ecoboost getting around 22 mpg.