REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Vander

Flatbed truck body

Jim Vander

Starting to plan next truck. Id be interested to know if any of you have bought an alum truck bed? Looking for input on brands etc.

Thanks

Dan Voss
Starting to plan next truck. Id be interested to know if any of you have bought an alum truck bed? Looking for input on brands etc.

Thanks

Yep. I have a 2001 F250 Crewcab shortbox..well it was a shortbox until i installed a Hillsboro Aluminum bed on it.  

It served its purpose well when I had a GN horsetrailer, but I no longer have a GN horsetrailer and am planning to install a normal box again.

Chesepeakes_Man

I am doing the same thing and will watch this thread. I have a truck camper and would like to have a flatbed with the side boxes for storage for all my equipment.

Dale

Jim Vander

I have a 4 hole dog box I really like but its sits on top of bed rail and the height  is a nussiance as I and the dogs get older. I have a ramp rig but thats a hassle too, getting it out of the truck setting it up moving it.  I travel to hunt a lot and so airing the dogs becomes a chore. My thought is to mount the box to the flatbed up at the cab leaving some open storage behind it. At that  hieght all but the oldest dogs can hop in. The loss of the bed does not concern me as we have a ton dually we haul horses with so when I need a truck with a bed I have one.

Obviously a small chassis mount box would be ideal but the prices are insanely high and as I wrap up my working life Id prefer to have that money for trips.

My current setup :

IMG_0201_zpsd7df7548.jpg

JWP58

I have always considered it if my bed happens to be destroyed in a crash.

Don't know if they have any dealers in your area, but it might be worth a call.

http://www.uteltd.com/pgs/02-ute-bed.html

Wirehair
My next rig if I can is to get a 1 ton with a 8 or 9' flatbed with plans to mount dog boxes up against cab with doors facing the sides then this leaves room for a small 6' slide in truck camper or flatbed camper to be mounted.

settem

To mount a truck camper on a flat bed you have to watch out for camper height over the cab. You want a close fit with just enough clearance for flex in the truck or you will have extra drag and noise.

This is going to vary by truck and camper design, so I guess you just need to measure carefully. On my Chevy I had to build my own flatbed to get the camper down close to the cab. I talked to a company about a custom flatbed, but my wallet dictated a different direction, so I built my own from two by's and plywood. It turned out good and has been to Montana twice with no issues. I had a lot of nay-sayers when I was putting it together, but have had zero issues with it. I put several coats of a high quality black paint on it and it is holding up well, plus it serves as the perfect platform to rest the caper on. I swap back to the regular bed after my western travels and working alone it only takes me about two hrs to make the swap.

For the OP I apologize for the hijack...

I talked to this guy a couple of times and he seemed eager, helpful, and willing to build anything you may want.

He has a few distributors and I looked at a couple of his beds at a local farm equipment dealer and liked what I saw.

http://www.tgsales.com/index.html

Dan Voss

When I had a dog topper:

DSC_0051_zpsyvmdvq2c.jpg

dgfavor

I've got the same flat bed as Dan...or, probably, he has the same as me.  :laugh:  :laugh:

I've had flatbeds the last 10+years and I could never go back to a regular bed.  My truck rarely is not hooked to a gooseneck trailer of some sort. I just love the convenience and added versatility of places/terrain where I can go without concern of denting up my bed rails and tailgate.

Very commonly I have a custom built 4 hole Creative Supply dog box mounted on the bed also.

GuzzlerDay11a.jpg

P1020043.jpg

Jim Vander
I like the setup, how do you secure the box to the flatbed? What thickness should the deck of flatbed be Ive seen a lot of variation in the spec sheets.

Dan Voss

I like the setup, how do you secure the box to the flatbed? What thickness should the deck of flatbed be Ive seen a lot of variation in the spec sheets.

I had the box mounted on a 2006 Ram 1500, so when it was on that it mounted typical for a dog topper. When I moved it over to the flatbed, I built a subframe that bolted to the dog topper, and then dropped in to the stake pockets on the flatbed. Then I utilized some bolt through the stake pocket to hold the subframe secure.

Mine, and likely Favor's, flatbed have 1" extruded aluminum plank deck. It makes for a great platform. It's an option.

dgfavor

I had the box mounted on a 2006 Ram 1500, so when it was on that it mounted typical for a dog topper. When I moved it over to the flatbed, I built a subframe that bolted to the dog topper, and then dropped in to the stake pockets on the flatbed. Then I utilized some bolt through the stake pocket to hold the subframe secure.

Mine, and likely Favor's, flatbed have 1" extruded aluminum plank deck. It makes for a great platform. It's an option.

The one thing with regards to handling dogs I do not like about most flatbeds, mine included, and I suspect Dan has the same concerns, is the gap in the side rail has great potential to be a leg breaker for an exuberant dog. (you can see the gap I'm talking about in the bagged rootie pic above)  I've been meaning to get an insert to cover the gap to ease my mind - in the interim I'm extremely diligent about no loose dogs on the flat bed and no dogs jump independently up onto the bed.  Knock on wood no disasters yet.

Dan Voss
That gap is as scary as it can get when dogs are coming out...if I still had mine, I'd fab a filler strip for it.

Jim Vander
How interchangeable are aluminum flatbeds? I was wondering if I had a setup I liked and changed trucks are the mods required to mount it to another truck so extensive that its easier to just start over?

Dan Voss
How interchangeable are aluminum flatbeds? I was wondering if I had a setup I liked and changed trucks are the mods required to mount it to another truck so extensive that its easier to just start over?

Mine, and Doc's,  have rails that fit either 34" or 38" frame width. That would be the bit of research you have to perform.