Hunting,shooting quotes

"Ah. The smell of wet dog. Pungent, yet comforting."

My kid when he was 12, in the car on the way back from a hunt.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• gunsrus

• redwing

• FRODO

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Full choke is a demanding mistress; improved cylinder a forgiving friend."  Bob Brister, "Shotgunning:  The Art and the Science".

"Life's too short to waste hunting with anyone other than a gentleman." Unsure? Annonymous?

Shoot where there going, not where they've been.

Never really thought about it until Cooter posted . There is Canada and there is the USA and we are North America . I am glad for our neighbors to the North and couldn't envision having anyone else I'd want there .

Good man that's the way I feel about the good old USA.

Years and years ago, before goose hunters developed their field hunting skills, hunters used to gather along the "Firing Line" around Delta Marsh. Some Saturday mornings there was a hunter hiding behind every fence post along the marsh. With sunrise came the first wave of a thousand geese lifting off the marsh and passing 80 yards over the hunters heads. Every hunter along the fence line emptied their gun at the high fliers. Miraculously two birds folded and fell to the ground. From the far end of the line a hunter yelled "Wohoo, I got a double". Cracked everybody up.

Canuck

Treerooster

Grouse flushes.

Hunter A "BOOM...BOOM"

Hunter B "Did ya get him"?

Hunter A "Nah...didn't have a shot".

“belly, beak, bang”

“aim at the handle not the pot”

“ warm barrels and cold noses”  

“ Who took the shot out of my shells?”

“your dog is so ugly that he should be wearing a paper bag, but then you would confuse him with your wife”

Barna

What happened and is said below was overheard by a 3rd hunter who was to the left of two hunters in thick SW PA grape tangle:

BLAM

I got it!

No, I got it!

To him it all sounded like one person.  The autopsy revealed both 6's and 7.5's in the grouse.

BOOM!.....BOOM!...."Should I send the dog over?" "Nope."

Boom , boom , boom ! ''your damn dog won't point em good!"

Must have shot at 20 birds , none falling to the ground !

My wife's ex boss , a pompous arse , never took him again .

"I replied, and truthfully too, that I had never lost a moment's time in hunting: that I counted only that time lost which I spent in working."

- Burton L. Spiller

To paraphrase the late Col. Jeff Cooper.  The best use of a pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your rifle.

Looked for but couldn't find the original quote, found variations on that theme.

Dave Quindt

While it is eminently desirable that a hunter should be able to rough it....it is yet not at all necessary that he should refrain from comfort of a wholesome sort when it is obtainable

T.R.

POTUS #26