REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dogwood

Best Used Pickups?

Dogwood

Need a part-time driver for 20' boat towing or 1-2 horses.  Must be 4x4. Best bang for the buck in say the $15-22K range?  Really an SUV would work well also, maybe better.

Frame and suspension parts on my '04 Sequoia rusting badly. Sadly.  The powertrain with 170K is still smooth as silk.  Body panels immaculate.

Thanks!

ccavacini

Check out the Toyota Tacoma.  Had two of them (first one a stick, second one an automatic).  Really liked them.

Then a 4Runner

Then two Highlanders.

I really like Toyotas.

Wirehair

Pulling 2 horses would put you in to a 1/2 ton at minimum or a Tahoe type suv.

I've never looked at towing capacity of toyotas though.

Natty Bumpo

Ford or Chevy/GMC.

I definitely would want a factory installed towing package on that truck. I definitely would not buy a truck that was ever used to plow snow. And there will definitely be some for sale hereabouts this spring after the very mild winter we've had. Have an independent mechanic drive/put up on lift, etc. any good prospects.

Fox or Marsh are decent local dealers w/ some warrantee protection when buying used.

MEdooGuide
Go with a tundra. Best truck out there and I've had gmc and Ford as well..... well worth the gas mileage decrease....

Dogwood
Go with a tundra. Best truck out there and I've had gmc and Ford as well..... well worth the gas mileage decrease....

Which model year do you own?

topdog1961
I hear they tow well but I would avoid Chrysler pickups.  When I look around the road they seem to be the first to rust out, especially over the wheel wells. A hunting buddy found that out the hard way. That will be an issue in MI. Plus my experience with Chrysler vans and jeeps has been solid power train but lots of nagging little issues. Unless its recent, Chrysler is yet to figure out a dependable power window.

dogrunner
Really any one that has been taken care of should work fine.

Dogwood
Really any one that has been taken care of should work fine.

Boy that's the rub I guess; relative to cars/suv's folks seem to really beat up pu's for all the obvious reasons.

Cold Iron

Have you checked with the dealer to see if your frame is covered under the service campaign? Most Toyotas are that I am aware of.

Thanks for the reminder that it is almost time to get under the Taco with the pressure sprayer and then do the annual spray again. It is only a couple of years old but I have little faith that they have the problem resolved yet. Not sure if Ford ever figured it out either.

bobman
they are all junk buy one from some place in the south, anything but rust can be fixed with parts

Dogwood
they are all junk buy one from some place in the south, anything but rust can be fixed with parts

Thanks I've scanned them a bit on Autotrader and there seems to be far fewer 4x4's in the south and SW

Dogwood

Have you checked with the dealer to see if your frame is covered under the service campaign? Most Toyotas are that I am aware of.

Thanks for the reminder that it is almost time to get under the Taco with the pressure sprayer and then do the annual spray again. It is only a couple of years old but I have little faith that they have the problem resolved yet. Not sure if Ford ever figured it out either.

Yeah 3 years ago I'm guessing; the frame didn't flunk so I got the free one-time spray job which did a wonderful job of hiding the rust for a year or so :ghostface:

rideold
Hard to go wrong with another Sequoia or moving to a Tundra.  I have a neighbor that had a Nissan Titan and was happy with it.  He ran it until it turned 200k before selling it.

Craig Doherty
Used trucks are a very slippery slope especially in your price range.  Condition and mileage are everything and make isn't all that important.  Towing a couple of horses is the big chore and i'd be tempted to go to a 3/4 ton (have pulled them with a GM 1/2 ton and it was grind but that was awhile ago). The problem with 3/4 ton trucks is that are more likely to have worked hard.  I'd look for a truck that somebody in the burbs had just cause they wanted a big truck and never really worked it.