REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RookieEP

Full size truck or Big SUV

RookieEP
I have a mid size SUV Honda Pilot that I plan to have for 3 more years.  I wanted a Toyota Tundra really bad the double cab version but family and economics won the Pilot over the Truck.  I've never had a truck before.  I have no need for a truck just wanted one.  I've been thinking when the time comes for a new ride should I go with the truck or get a big SUV.  Before the Pilot i almost got a Sequoia.  It would either be a Suburban or a Sequioa.  I'm big on reliability so I'd have to research and see where big SUVs rank at this time.  Would you rather go big Truck or SUV?   I like in the  SUV everything is covered with AC and heat to pamper my dogs and such.  But the idea of having so much room in the back of a truck to throw messy crap and stuff seems really appealing plus I could check owning a truck box off my life list. But again a truck is not as family friendly.  A big suburban would be really nice for long trips.

PaFlyfisher

I can't for the life of me understand the obsession some folks have with lager vehicles.

What the the 'Burb offer, on long trips, that your Pilot doesn't? Storage? Buy a rooftop cargo box and save $20K. Or pack less stuff.

gunsrus
Not a Suburban but this is my second Tahoe , a 2015 . This vehicle is so much better on gas than the 2002 I had . Ride is spectacular and plenty of room for my three Setters . I have a Jeep JK , two door Wrangler for around town but needed larger for longer trips . I looked at smaller vehicles , SUV's but damn I felt claustrophobic . I like big vehicles .

UplandHntr
I can't for the life of me understand the obsession some folks have with lager vehicles.

What the the 'Burb offer, on long trips, that your Pilot doesn't? Storage? Buy a rooftop cargo box and save $20K. Or pack less stuff.

I guess you'd have to have had a Suburban to get it. Im on my 3rd I have no need really for it. I could get by with a mid size or something but why? Is the same argument used for a full size pick up truck vs a small one? Full size car vs a economy size?

Dakota Dogman

8 kids, a hound dog & ...   :p

God Bless,

Dogwood
I have an '07 Sequoia.  Remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats (easy) as needed.  You then have a climate controlled flat bed that swallows cargo with easy access given the hatch and passenger doors.  Large Weather-Tech liner covers 2/3 of it.  Built on the previous gen. Tundra frame.  Great highway cruiser, 10" ground clearance, surprisingly nimble around town.  Sucks fuel but they all do. 4.7L V8 powertrain super durable.  Narrower then modern trucks so no issue getting down 2 tracks.

Jakeismydog2
I have a mid size SUV Honda Pilot that I plan to have for 3 more years.  I wanted a Toyota Tundra really bad the double cab version but family and economics won the Pilot over the Truck.  I've never had a truck before.  I have no need for a truck just wanted one.  I've been thinking when the time comes for a new ride should I go with the truck or get a big SUV.  Before the Pilot i almost got a Sequoia.  It would either be a Suburban or a Sequioa.  I'm big on reliability so I'd have to research and see where big SUVs rank at this time.  Would you rather go big Truck or SUV?   I like in the  SUV everything is covered with AC and heat to pamper my dogs and such.  But the idea of having so much room in the back of a truck to throw messy crap and stuff seems really appealing plus I could check owning a truck box off my life list. But again a truck is not as family friendly.  A big suburban would be really nice for long trips.

The question you have to ask yourself when deciding between a truck and an suv is this:

How often do your dogs get sprayed by a skunk?

UplandHntr

The question you have to ask yourself when deciding between a truck and an suv is this:

10 hours back from SD one year....we just hung air fresheners from our hat brims the whole way back. No worries! :p

oldbird
Had an International traveller, 3 suburbans, now on year five with a full size Tundra twin cab. You would have a hard time trying to convince me to go back, especially with 2 buck gas. Just too many uses for the open box on the pickup, but then all my kids are grown and gone.

tomturkey2x2
you ever get a truck, you will love it and wonder how you  got along without one !

Doubleplay

Excellent point..

Also are you going to tow anything heavy?

brushbuster

I am in a similar situation.  I'm a little concerned about the low air dam on the new Tahoe/Suburban and the fact they earned a poor reliability rating on consumer reports.  A friend at work has one and I has a shimmy that they cannot seem to figure out.  Sequoia haven't been updated in a long while poor fuel economy compared to peers but reliability seems much better than the GM SUVs.  

I did see that Nissan is bringing the Patrol into the USA "rebadged Infinity QX80".  This summer.  Anyone have experience with a Nissan Patrol/Infinity QX80?

PaFlyfisher

8 kids, a hound dog & ...   :p

God Bless,

Totally different.

PaFlyfisher

but why?

Is the same argument used for a full size pick up truck vs a small one? Full size car vs a economy size?

I can think of $20-30k reasons.

And your economy vs midsize care isn't a reasonable comparison to midsize SUV vs burb. There are diminishing returns for size after some point, based on need.

Brad Adrian

but why?

Is the same argument used for a full size pick up truck vs a small one? Full size car vs a economy size?

I can think of $20-30k reasons.

And your economy vs midsize care isn't a reasonable comparison to midsize SUV vs burb. There are diminishing returns for size after some point, based on need.

Bede, you are talking apple to oranges between Pilots and the like compared to off road capable SUV's and pickups A Honda Pilot or other like vehicle is meant for paved roads because of clearance. I drove midsize pickups for years, and with a V6 they got no better mileage than a V8 1/2 ton.