REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
dogrunner

Hockey

terrym

couldn't agree more. The man has class on and off the ice. 

Wet Dog

Its amazing how the NBA gets all the press when I believe there is no playoff more exciting to watch then the NHL. Some of the best and toughest athletes in the world put on a show.  I heard a stat that for 89% ice time of the seres final, a single goal separated the two teams. Every shift mattered.  

dogrunner
11 hours ago, terrym said:

couldn't agree more. The man has class on and off the ice. 

Yeah he looked real classy after losing the opening draw and giving Thornton a slash behind the right knee, oh and the refs swallowed there whistle for him as usual. Overall a decent cup final. 

jeff88
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Yeah he looked real classy after losing the opening draw and giving Thornton a slash behind the right knee, oh and the refs swallowed there whistle for him as usual. Overall a decent cup final. 

The above is standard fare we Pens fans consistently see from the vast majority of those who do not have Crosby on their team.  In fact, the slash on Thornton was long overdue and set a tempo for Sid and Pens for the entire game - take no prisoners.  You dogrunner have conveniently forgotten, or perhaps worse, did not notice Thornton's attempt to decapitate Crosby in Game 5.  If you missed that and/or don't own up to that, then you are not much for observation.  Yeah, it's ALWAYS Crosby who is the bad guy and everyone else is Mr. Clean.  Right.  Believe I may replay Crosby's whack 20 times so I can somehow be convinced that he has gotten to retaliate in kind every time he bears cheap shots from his opponents on the ice.  Vlasic ring a bell?  He sure tried all series to ring Sid's.  As I mentioned in a prior post, we Yinzers love all you anti-PGH folks, we thrive on it.  Keep 'em coming!!!!!  

On to the game.  Great effort by San Jose in the 2nd, that was a $#!+storm they threw at the Pens.  Thought period #1 was slightly in favor of the Pens, #2 was highly in favor of San Jose, #3 was an out and out obliteration of San Jose.   2 shots even with a 2 minute empty net mostly short-handed?  That was a some defense from a team that has long been known for a "too small, too slow" blue line.  Am almost sorry the Cup run is over, what a fun ride when your team can go all the way.  From 4 minutes to go, could not sit.  After the game texts lit up from Chicago, Montreal and Toronto from friends who know I love the Pens and the NHL.  What a ride!!!!

Listening to the NHL satellite radio show this morning I could not help but to agree with the commentators chastising the San Jose fans for their behavior during the Cup presentation.  Yeah, I know, Bettman is not a fan favorite.  But to boo the Cup itself?  To chant "Pittsburgh Sucks" during the skate around?  The Sharks were a classy team after the series in interviews and especially during the greatest show of sportsmanship in any Pro sport, the series handshake.  The fans, not so much.  Is that just San Jose or is that what we should expect everywhere now?  Sad to think it might be the latter.

Loved watching the post game coverage from the locker room.  Greatest trophy in sports being used to drink champagne, a fitting end to the toughest road to travel in all of sport enjoyed by the most humble and deserving of any professional athletes.  Real hockey fans know what we have and how good it is.  Sad for those following the "I, me, my" sports.

gunsrus

You can say what you want , doesn't matter what sport or what trophy is being waved , the winners deserve it . Congrats to Pitts , they deserved it .

dogrunner

I did not forget because I did not see it;) and just so you know I do not like either team.:D

jeff88
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

I did not forget because I did not see it;) and just so you know I do not like either team.:D

Then take a look at Wet Dog's link to Thornton blasting Crosby twice and Crosby not responding at all.

Longrifle

Boom. Just too much depth and too much offensive talent to not win out.  The biggest threat this year to the Pens was Tampa Bay, who matched up better in speed and got a herculean effort by the stand in goalie. There's two goalies in that series whose price ust went up.  Hats off to Patrick Marleau, one of the class acts of the NHL.  I hope he gets his cup someday.  I also hope the Pens can afford to keep four lines worth of talent that brought the cup home; it's obvious that you can't rely on two players to carry the entire load.  Sharks fans surprising me booing the cup and the congrats to their team, and chucking stuff at Pascal Dupuis.  Loved Matt Cullen this year; work, grind, work, grind. Also the HBK line, looked like they ahd been together since pee-wees, and fast like lightning.  Cap struggle coming, but hope to see as many of the difference makers back next year.  Big year for all the guys that started in Wilkes-Barre, including Mike Sullivan. 

Ben Hong

Some thoughts after the dust has settled a bit :  I really and truly felt sad for Thornton and Marleau as I think that this was their window. Two of the shiniest stars for the last 15 or so years. Like all of us stated many times over, the series ending handshake is probably the most iconic ceremony in all of sports (descended from the British tradition of sportsmanship, and at the time of the inception of the NHL, Canada was independent but very much guided by British traditions). Phil Kessel must be chortling and pinching himself that he is out of Toronto! Poor Toronto...NOT! The Bonino/ Kessel duo could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Remember the names of Jones and Murray....one is for real and one had one hell of a playoff run! Jim Rutherford had a tremendous year...he changed coaches and changed half of the team. Guts! For the first 20 games of the season, they played like dog vomit, but he had faith and patience. Good job!

Have I said that Sidney Crosby is one of the two best hockey players in the galaxy? The other is Carey Price. Together they will beat the World in September. 

jeff88

Ben, good thoughts and comments.  This season for PGH was similar to a Charles Dickens opening:  It was the worst of times then it was the best of times.  Until the new year, no one thought the Pens had anything resembling a playoff level team let alone a Cup winner.  This season took us all by the nicest of surprises.  This Pens team was like the 2005 Steelers SB winner, they too came from out of nowhere, built up steam at the end of the season and won it all.  In December, Jim Rutherford was not at all popular, Crosby was horribly underachieving and looking lost on the ice, Kessel was a bust and a half, Pens fans mourned the loss of the team's most popular player to career-ending illness, Pascal Dupuis, Sullivan came in and promptly lost 4 in a row - it did not look like anything good could happen this season.  Then BLAM!  Sully's system got legs and off they went.

Loved that Crosby with the Cup gave it to Daily 1st.  His mother is in the hospital with cancer and she wanted to see her son hoist it, 87 made it happen right off the bat.  Next up was Dupuis who no one could figure out if he was laughing or crying, turns out he was doing both.  I was really happy to see him in a Pens sweater one more time, he's long been one of my all-time favorite PGH sports guys.  In about an hour from this post, 375,000 Pens fans, or more, will be lining the streets and avenues of downtown PGH cheering.  At the end of the parade will be a celebration and speeches from the coaches and players along with The Cup.  In mid-December, with the Steelers still in the hunt, the Pens were receding fast  in the fans minds and in the PGH sports pages.  Not today.  What a ride.

Big Al

Big day in NHL yesterday.

Stamkos re-signs in Tampa for what I consider a very favorable figure for the Lightning.

Subban gets sent to Nashville for Weber.  I just don't understand this trade at all.

Hall goes to the Devils. Another head scratcher.

dogrunner

Was hoping Stamkos was coming north. :(