Hockey

Sharks are done they look slow and there defense is poor, leaving to many open men to receive passes and then take open shots. There offense is not very good either. Pitt isthe way better team in this series. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might as well fuel the hate.  Sidney Crosby walks into a bar and orders an Ovechkin.   The bartender looks puzzled and asks what's in it.  Crosby replies "it's a bitter white russian, but you have to

Let's go Pens

Good win for PGH last night, that was fun to watch.  Sharks really turned up the heat in the 3rd; I wonder if they had done that more often during games if the series wouldn't be closer in outcomes.   Toughest game to win starts TH evening in PGH.  With 12 pro-sport championship games won by PGH teams since 1960, only one was won in PGH.  Would love to see #2 TH. 

The Sharks can't seem to find the gears to keep up.  No more talk from the Sharks about being bigger and stronger, but I like the speed and finesse game anyway, much more fun to watch the back and forth.  If my memory serves me, only one team has ever come back from a 3-1 in the finals to reverse the tide. I give DeBoer credit for making all the changes he has, but what he can't change are the ages of some of his key players, and no matter how good he is he can't teach fast. He also can't manufacture four lines that can hold their own against what the Pens are bringing. And that is a testament to the Pens new GM, Jim Rutherford (formerly at Carolina, where he was also my hero).  I was a big Shero fan but it was the right move in hindsight.  Hagelin, Cole, Cullen, Fehr, Bonino, Daley, Kessel, Lovejoy (in a return engagment); all put together by the new GM, and these guys have been the real difference in this playoff year. Matt Cullen has done a great job as a role player, always hustling, always working, winning faceoffs, and playing like he did when the Canes took the Cup.  No signs of age on his spirit.  Hope they sign him, he's my favorite kind of hockey player.

This series should put to rest all those beliefs that the west is tougher, meaner, bigger, stronger and...better! SJ looks like a team that is breathing too much of the  Pen's exhaust fumes. Their decision making process is way out of sync with the actual play on the ice, making them seem like thy are happy to have reached the Final for the first time. Too bad, I was hoping that Jumbo Joe and Marleau would get a sip out of the Cup.

4 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

This series should put to rest all those beliefs that the west is tougher, meaner, bigger, stronger and...better! SJ looks like a team that is breathing too much of the  Pen's exhaust fumes. Their decision making process is way out of sync with the actual play on the ice, making them seem like thy are happy to have reached the Final for the first time. Too bad, I was hoping that Jumbo Joe and Marleau would get a sip out of the Cup.

Well it is not over yet.  Long odds face the Sharks and the Pens are in a great spot but as a PGH fan, I won't be able to breathe properly until The Cup is hoisted by the Pens, ideally in the 'Burgh.  My brother will be at the game on TH and of course I hope he sees a win and the ceremony.  Before this series started, 3/4's or more of the hockey pundits and writers picked the Sharks to win by virtue of equal speed, bigger bodies and more experience as Ben mentions above.  One thing I've noticed about PGH in the 4 series thus far, they never seem to get too down after a loss and never, never get very excited about a win after they leave the ice. 

Malkin finally turned on the jets last night and it was high time.  His pass to Kessel along the boards after being hemmed in by 3 Sharks was pretty nifty.  Also am noticing the Sharks wanting to make a hit, not win the puck.  The Sharks crushed the Pens defense in the 1st period right off the drop.  Didn't seem to phase the Pens.  The Pens forwards are "puck 1st", hit later if available.  Ben, is that what you're seeing? 

Jeff, the Pens are following the message to a T, not only this series but throughout the playoffs!  No stupidities, no retaliation, no shenanigans and just swallow whatever comes. Just shows that they are the hungrier team. It's called discipline!

They just plain got lucky. You can't win the Stanley Cup with just a great goalie. It may take all the games but PGH is just a better team. 

8 minutes ago, terrym said:

They just plain got lucky. You can't win the Stanley Cup with just a great goalie. It may take all the games but PGH is just a better team. 

Actually you can win the Stanley Cup with a great goalie. Ask Ken Dryden and the Canadians back in the '70's against Orr et. al. Both of Pens first two goals were lucky. One went off a Sharks player's foot and the second went off the body of a guy leaping in front of the goal. Which goaltender would you rather have in net? Jones is hot.

Jones is an excellent goalie. Murray is a rookie doing a fabulous job. If he gets them the cup Thunder Bay will be drunk for a week. I think PTG is just a stronger better team and will probably prevail in the end. 

1 hour ago, sneem said:

Actually you can win the Stanley Cup with a great goalie. Ask Ken Dryden and the Canadians back in the '70's against Orr et. al.

As a hockey fan you make a piss poor historian, either that or you are too young and too narrowly focused on the last 5 games. Let me refresh your memory about Ken Dryden's team mates during his 8 year career, the years in which that Habs Dynasty won 6 Cups: Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Frank and Peter Mahovlich, Jacques leMaire, Yvan Cournoyer, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Steve Shutt, Bob Gainey and Scotty Bowman (Coach) and let me introduce you to Guy Lafleur. All Hall of Famers  In 1976 they lost 8 games all year and everyone was worried sick that they were in a slump in 1977 when they lost 10 games that season. LaFleur was the first player to score 50 or more goals 6 seasons in a row, Savard, LaPointe and Robinson were the BIG 3, the best defence core and corps ever to lace on skates. As you can see Dryden was superb but he was only  superstar among many

I can go on but I can understand that to a Bruins fan this info is tedious to the extreme. Good night.

If Jones gave up as many soft goals as Murray, this series would have already been over and last night would have been a blowout.

It was painful to watch the opening 3 minutes, Pen's Matta made a crucial misstep in support of a defensive zone rush, when the puck came back the Shark was all alone finishing the tip-in.  This was not characteristic of Matta during the past two series.  To me, that was only "good" goal the Sharks had, the other two were pretty soft, the 4th an empty netter.  Murray seemed to find himself by period 2 but that was too late.  Pens won every part of the game last night except the most important one, getting more goals.  The reason was Jones, that was a stellar performance.  Kudos to the Sharks for bringing the fight to PGH and getting ahead for the 1st time in the series.  On to San Jose and by the way, the Pens "Know the Way to San Jose".    

Playing like they did the Pens would have won 99.99% of the games they play. A hot goalie will steal a game once in a while. No shame.

The Pens are the Stanley Cup Champions and they are fully deserving in every aspect of the playoffs. To shutdown the powerful Sharks team to 2 shots in the 3rd is masterful. Let's hear no more of the big bad western teams and no more derogatory sheeit about the best player in the world for the past 7 years...Sidney Crosby. A good ole Maritimer.