REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Kansas Bound

Tires, Tires, Tires

Chukarman

I have it narrowed down to BFG KO2 and Bridgestone Revo 2's

I think that the Overland guys like the BFG KO2 better. The Revo may have the edge as a highway tire, but I've found the sidewalls vulnerable.

I run Toyo M55s on my F350 - a heavy duty, heavy truck solution. Noise, yes, but I don't stop to mount the spare.

northern_hunting_mom

The M55s are a bit noisier than the BFG but I liked them more for gravel mud shale snow and chip seal. Kept us between the ditches dirty side down with confidence. They are darn tough.

greypartridge

Another vote for the BFG KO2. I put only about 10,000 miles on them the past 9 months but used them in some moderate rough areas and mud. Best tires I have owned for all around use. Little noisy and bounce on the interstate, just turn up the stereo.

EllieGSP

I've ran BFG-KO's for many years across three trucks and just had got use to wet weather performance.  I wanted to try something I little different over the last year.   When they released the KO2's they eliminated some of the lower load rating's, C and D's, in the LT series.   I like the heavy plys but sometimes you do not need such a stiff load rating on a compact truck.  

Try the Cooper Discoverer AT3's this past year on some recommendations.   Not quite as aggressive looking but has performed better in snow and rain than the BFG's.   They are quieter on the highway which you spend a lot of time driving to get to that hunting field.  Everyone has their looks preference but for some reason I seem to like the older BFG's without the side lugs and more squared look better.  If they could mix the sipping and such I'd be sold.  I still may jump back over the fence but figured I'd see if the grass was greener on the other side:-)

Windrider

Goodyear Duratracs are the most aggressive tire to have a snow rating.

Very popular with the jeep off road folks because they are quite on road and good off road in anything but the soupiest mud.

I'm on my third set.

MEdooGuide

10 ply all the way. Worth the extra money.

JWP58

Hankook Dynapro ATM are what I have now, im impressed. Cooper AT3's were great. My AT3's were E rated, cant remember what the Hankook's are.

My next might be Duratracs.

Doubleplay

Michelin LT's all the way. Best tires money can buy for 1/2 ton truck applications if you are driving 80/20.

Windrider
23 hours ago, JWP58 said:

Hankook Dynapro ATM are what I have now, im impressed. Cooper AT3's were great. My AT3's were E rated, cant remember what the Hankook's are.

My next might be Duratracs.

I'm running Hankook Dynapro ATMs right now.  The original equipment tires on my vehicle.  I think they are worthless off pavement.

Last fall with with 12,000 miles on them I nearly got stuck on wet grass.  It's a good thing I have a locker.  It was a close call.

Duratracs are a big step up from these tires.  

PartridgeCartridge

Tires are like women. You get what you pay for depending on the ride pleasure and the durability. Puncture resistance is something to worry about unless you've had a vasectomy.

JMO

JWP58
43 minutes ago, Windrider said:

I'm running Hankook Dynapro ATMs right now.  The original equipment tires on my vehicle.  I think they are worthless off pavement.

Last fall with with 12,000 miles on them I nearly got stuck on wet grass.  It's a good thing I have a locker.  It was a close call.

Duratracs are a big step up from these tires.  

Interesting. I stick to F.S. and BLM roads/two tracks and don't have any complaints. This past pheasant season I was sure I was going to get stuck in some crazy snow drifts, but they weren't a problem.

You're sure yours are atm's, not ht's? Also what is your vehicle?

mikegillam

When my original LTX AT were worn out, I put Goodyear Wranglers w/Kevlar on my Tundra.  Only have about 10,000 miles on them, mix of highway, gravel, and beat up river roads.  So far, i like them, al littler stiffer ride than the Michelins, but I think it is an improved ride.

Windrider
On May 19, 2016 at 8:03 PM, JWP58 said:

Interesting. I stick to F.S. and BLM roads/two tracks and don't have any complaints. This past pheasant season I was sure I was going to get stuck in some crazy snow drifts, but they weren't a problem.

You're sure yours are atm's, not ht's? Also what is your vehicle?

They are ATMs.  The stock tire for the last few years Nissan Xterra Pro-4X models.

They are a good pavement or gravel road tire.  But at the first hint of mud they ball up and won't clear. My hunting parter was pretty shocked too.  We had to get some branches under the tires to get things moving.

tundratom

Michelin LTX AT2's.  I realize they may not be quite as tough as the BFG KO's but I feel they are plenty aggressive for the off roading I do and they have less road noise and better gas mileage.  Just my opinion!

hayslope
52 minutes ago, tundratom said:

Michelin LTX AT2's.  I realize they may not be quite as tough as the BFG KO's but I feel they are plenty aggressive for the off roading I do and they have less road noise and better gas mileage.  Just my opinion!

X2!