REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Kansas Bound

Tires, Tires, Tires

Dogwood

2 hours ago, tundratom said:

Michelin LTX AT2's.  I realize they may not be quite as tough as the BFG KO's but I feel they are plenty aggressive for the off roading I do and they have less road noise and better gas mileage.  Just my opinion!

Had a set on my Sequoia; good warmer weather tire but absolute hockey pucks on packed snow and ice even at the very slowest speeds.

Brad Eden

Moved to Gear & Gadgets Forum.

MEdooGuide

I guide and I work in the logging industry as my big boy job....the best tires I have found for standing up to 70mph on woods roads and passing delimbers with sticks and stubs all over the road are my Firestone  Transforce AT.... excellent spring summer fall tire and do a passable job in the winter, even on iced in woods roads.  

prairierat

I put a set of the snow-rated 10-ply General Grabber AT/2s on my Tundra last year and have been very happy so far.

Kansas Bound

I decided to go with some LT's. BFG KO2 in a 10 ply.  The ride so far doesn't seem very rough and not much noise under 70mph. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

cockerfan
10 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

I decided to go with some LT's. BFG KO2 in a 10 ply.  The ride so far doesn't seem very rough and not much noise under 70mph. 

Let me know if they affect MPGs at all. I'm looking at putting those on my Ridgeline, but I don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of fuel economy.

They look really sharp on your truck!

Up North
On May 31, 2016 at 1:55 PM, MEdooGuide said:

I guide and I work in the logging industry as my big boy job....the best tires I have found for standing up to 70mph on woods roads and passing delimbers with sticks and stubs all over the road are my Firestone  Transforce AT.... excellent spring summer fall tire and do a passable job in the winter, even on iced in woods roads.  

I had them on my 1 ton work truck also and liked them. I just got a 3/4 ton diesel truck to pull a 5 th wheel hunting camper, and it came with Transforce tires but are due to be replaced. I was planning on putting the same Tranforce AT tires back on. I think they handled the mud and snow well, while not being loud on the highway.

gaberdeen

i get my BFG KO2 's put on my Ram 1500 Wednesday. Hope I like them.

Curt

Good choice, I ran the BFG KO's on my last two trucks (F-150 & Tacoma) and really liked them.  They are a great all purpose tire if a little heavy.  I gave up 1 or 2 mile per gallon on both trucks but felt their performance and durability made it worth while.

ThomGordon

Unless Transforce has done some kind of engineering miracle lately I'd have to say they are horrible, especially on tire eating F-250's.

jsd245

Just put new tires on my dodge 1500- went with cooper ATWs. I've had the cooper aATS and liked them a lot, but they weren't great in the snow- the ATW was supposed to solve that and be almost as good as a dedicated snow tire but still last $50k miles.  Time will tell. They held up just fine last week on the logging roads in maine.

i did not go with a 10 ply - I'm told gas mileage will be significantly affected going to a heavier tire, and 99% of my driving in on road. I put about 5-600 miles on logging raids in Maine each year, but that is about it for off road driving. 

River19

Just a word of caution on the KO2s.......on 2500 series or heavier guys are having serious balancing and wobble issues.  Seems like every lighter truck loves them but the heavier rigs seem to have balance issues.  Forum posts include guys that work in tire centers with piles of them ready to go back to BFG and they won't sell them to anyone with a 3/4 ton or larger without signing a waiver now.

Sucks as I wanted a set for my 2500 Ram............

Google "KO2 Balancing Issues".......

Sounds like many folks are fine with them on 1500 series rigs.........which is awesome.

rolawson

I have 2 friends that work at tire shops and they echo what River19 said, but they went one step further. They said they could not get them to balance on 1/2 tons.

Natty Bumpo
13 hours ago, River19 said:

Just a word of caution on the KO2s.......on 2500 series or heavier guys are having serious balancing and wobble issues.  Seems like every lighter truck loves them but the heavier rigs seem to have balance issues.  Forum posts include guys that work in tire centers with piles of them ready to go back to BFG and they won't sell them to anyone with a 3/4 ton or larger without signing a waiver now.

Sounds like many folks are fine with them on 1500 series rigs.........which is awesome.

I put KO2's on my 2011 F150 (4WD, HD tow pkg) before hunting season last year. LUV these tires in the woods, mud bogs and sandy steep woods roads here and 'da UP. They are quiet and smooth as silk on the highway up to 80 mph. I rotate tires every  7500 mi. I will have them balanced in the spring but NO balance/wobble/wear issues noticed on any of these K02's so far at all (fingers crossed).

Not cheap but so far "worth it". Local tire store cant keep popular sizes in stock.

River19

Like I said, seems like the "1/2 ton" rigs are awesome with them, it is the "3/4 and 1 ton" guys who seem to be having problems with them.  Maybe it is an E rated thing for BFG......but if you google "KO2 Balancing Issues" you can read for hours......which scared me away for my 2500 series.  Which sucks as that was my leading choice as I hate everything I have run from Nitto and Duratracs which I love don't have my size.

Friggin 20" wheels............