CIncinatti Zoo Gorilla Shot...

Cant very well ignore this "viral" story...3 year old kid somehow falls into Cincinnati Zoo gorilla enclosure. "Hirambe" a 17 year old Silver Back drags the kid around and is shot by Zoo officials. Predictably, protests and social media and talking head national news hysteria ensues...not over concern for the little boy, but over the negligent parents, the shooting of the gorilla...instead if tranquilizing it. 

Certainly the parents should be held responsible, but unless you have a 3 year old on a leash, they climb stuff...and squeeze through gates...and if it was my kid Id want tha gorilla dispatched, considering its focus and apparent aggression towards the kid. Imagine the shitstorm if it was tranquilized and hurt or killed the kid before it went down.

Lowland Zoo Gorilla Shot/CNN

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kemo Sabe

• Brad Eden

• WPG Gizmo

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one topic that has no right or wrong side.  - kids are born to explore and test limits. I would not prefer a completely obedient and docile child. -I love zoos, but hate to see anima

I think zoos should be redesigned to resemble Roman colliseums  and we should toss repeat felons and illegal immigrants to lions, tigers and crocs.   that would be way more fun than watching

After the boy fell in the enclosure, it was a lose,lose outcome. 

I'm glad the little boy will be okay. Purely speculative but my first thoughts went right to the parents were probably messing with their phones. 

Agree 100% Brad. I was just having this same discussion with my wife about how the outrage is more towards the gorilla and less concern for the child.

Don Steese

No matter who's at fault here we need to get our collective heads around one simple fact....people's lives are more important than animal's lives and their needs should be given priority, in every case with no exceptions!!

My oldest daughter worked at both the Oakland and San Francisco Zoos between undergrad and graduate school. Part of the hard reality she learned was what happens when a zoo animal puts a human life in danger. It's automatic and all the employees have a specific job to do when something happens like this.

The  reality of this can sometimes be very hard, particularly when the human component caused the problem. But when given the choice, it's always going to be the animal who pays the ultimate price. That's just the way it has to be.

It was necessary to do what they did and the Gorilla paid for it.  The protesters claims that the Gorilla was protecting the child might well be true BUT wold they take that chance with their own child or would they be screaming for someone to shoot the Gorilla.

Now the fool who last week took off all his clothes and jumped into the Lion cage to commit suicide should have been left to fend for himself instead of killing the 2 lions that were preparing to dine  

1 hour ago, WPG Gizmo said:

It was necessary to do what they did and the Gorilla paid for it.  The protesters claims that the Gorilla was protecting the child might well be true BUT wold they take that chance with their own child or would they be screaming for someone to shoot the Gorilla.

Now the fool who last week took off all his clothes and jumped into the Lion cage to commit suicide should have been left to fend for himself instead of killing the 2 lions that were preparing to dine  

At face I'd agree but giving it more consideration I'd still act to save the man. Mental illness is a real affliction and he may well be able to be successfully treated. That being said It really stinks when a captive animal who is totally dependent on human care should die because of our neglectful behavior of destructive acts.

Jim Fowler made a television appearance a very short time ago stating in no uncertain terms that killing the Silverback was absolutely the  right thing to do and  the only thing. The similar incident in Chicago's Brookfield Zoo involved a lone Female that had raised young and exhibited no signs of aggravation or stress. She was in an enclosed environment without a large crowd yelling and screaming and crowding the barrier. A adult male gorilla is by nature hard wired to defend his social group and are an

entirely different situation. They can in a second and with one hand crush a green coconut with one hand. This one was upset and showing signs that experienced keepers could see.

As to anesthesia the public at large do not recognize the fact that these darts take roughly 10 minutes to take affect and handlers and zoologists have had arms twisted off by darted silverbacks. Fowler said as tragic as the outcome was it was the right and only responsible thing to do.

Agree the proper decision was to dispatch the gorilla.  However the gorilla should have never been at the zoo in the first place.

Cooter Brown

I was watching the CBS morning "news" this AM (always a mistake to watch any news program) and after the report the anchor said "Well, that must have been a very difficult decision for the zookeepers."  Just rolled right off the tongue like it was a universal sentiment and the most natural thing in the world, but it's pretty horrifying if you think about it.

I'd have given a lot to be able to crawl through the TV and ask him just what the hell was the hard part in making a choice between the life a a four year old child and a gorilla?  It's frightening seeing the degradation of human dignity and life happening in the culture.  I'd hate to think what the PETA types are saying on social media.

I don't care much for zoos--at least in experiencing them myself.

They do play a part in conservation and breeding efforts for some at-risk animals and they can certainly be educational and inspirational for young folks that might otherwise never have a chance to see animals other than cats dogs rats and squirrels.  I'm sure many a biologist, naturalist etc. was inspired by a visit to a zoo as a child.

Greg Hartman

I don't certainly dispute the necessity of putting the gorilla down, hard, right then, but having been to the Phila zoo and having watched the idiotic crowds screeching at the animals to get their attention and punks trying to climb over the barriers, really makes me wonder if Dr. Dogwood isn't right.  I haven't thought this through, but I do wonder if the benefits of zoos (preservation of rare species, inspiration, etc) these days aren't outweighed by the inflictions on their inmates.

4 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Agree the proper decision was to dispatch the gorilla.  However the gorilla should have never been at the zoo in the first place.

Agreed. I don't like zoos for the reason of the space factor and confinement of wild creatures. More are doing good work saving threatened species and that is a plus but those animals are bored out of their minds. Life in prison and they know it. 

Doubleplay

Zoos probably serves a purpose for the general public and kids, however in the world of digital media and technology they are becoming less and less meaningful. I'm personally against any kind of confining of wild animals unless it's an open air game preserves where they can roam somewhat free in their natural environment.

In this case it was a no brainer, I wouldn't even think a second before killing the animal. They did the right thing!

I hate zoos. I get the heebie jeebies when there. And feel depressed as well. Maybe its because many of us here on this upland board spend more time out of doors than the average person, andfeel like we are part of the give and take of nature....in some small way. I also agree  with what has been said about technology....we don't really need zoos...unless they are a legit means to protect and propagate a threatened species...and need the revenue of caged animal gawkers to do that.

PartridgeCartridge

Hopefully, someone will eat that gorilla.

If you are gonna shoot it, you better eat it, right?

I dunno. The animal rights folks have been against zoos, and I hate to see them get another feather in their cap. What would be next from the fallout from that?

Not a zoo fan myself, and never really liked going to them. Still don't.