CIncinatti Zoo Gorilla Shot...

Cooter Brown
59 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Hopefully, someone will eat that gorilla.

If you are gonna shoot it, you better eat it, right?

I don't know about the gorilla.

But I'll admit I thought about that when they put that buffalo calf down a couple of weeks ago.

Kinda agree with Kemo about the zoos.  And I still think a good one can be a good experience for young folks if they can avoid falling in dangerous animal cages.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kemo Sabe

• Brad Eden

• WPG Gizmo

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one topic that has no right or wrong side.  - kids are born to explore and test limits. I would not prefer a completely obedient and docile child. -I love zoos, but hate to see anima

I think zoos should be redesigned to resemble Roman colliseums  and we should toss repeat felons and illegal immigrants to lions, tigers and crocs.   that would be way more fun than watching

PartridgeCartridge
7 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

if they can avoid falling in dangerous animal cages.

Ferrchrissakes, how hard is it to make an enclosure that no one can get in to?

This isn't friggin' rocket science. The very fact that a child could even breach the enclosure pisses me off.

I like my gorilla medium rare thanks.

I need to know 3 things:

1.  What kind of fence lets a kid through?

2.  Where were the parents?

3.  Where can you get a silverback hide tanned?

Cooter Brown
9 minutes ago, trust me said:

I need to know 3 things:

1.  What kind of fence lets a kid through?

2.  Where were the parents?

3.  Where can you get a silverback hide tanned?

1. Do you mean a child or a young goat?

2. Screaming.

3. Tandy.  DIY.

Greg Hartman

I'm told they taste like chicken, just like Pandas and Golden Eagles.  :D

6-25-14 - Gorilla - 2.jpg

This pic (from the Phila zoo) kinda says it all about keeping such critters in a cage, to my mind.

Clearly we live in a world gone mad

Treerooster

I agree the zoo had no choice and did the right thing. I can't believe how calm the little boy was being dragged through the water by a huge gorilla. Maybe he was in a little shock, but if he was screaming and crying the gorilla might have shut him up.

As far as zoos and whether they serve a purpose...I grew up in a nonhunting family in suburbs Illinois. Noone hunted or even thought of hunting in my family. I have no idea where my desire to hunt came from but it burned hot in me af a young age, I knew I would never live in Illinois by the time I was in 6th grade. I can't help but think trips to the Brookfield zoo may have had an influence on me.

1 hour ago, Treerooster said:

. I can't help but think trips to the Brookfield zoo may have had an influence on me.

Just think if they had rented BB guns at the zoo.

No choice but to dispatch the gorilla . The parents should be charged with reckless endangerment . I agree that kids sometimes get away from you . Maybe the playground , supermarket ....... but damn this was a Zoo outside the gorilla cage .

I'm sorry but they are completely responsible !

39 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

No choice but to dispatch the gorilla . The parents should be charged with reckless endangerment . I agree that kids sometimes get away from you . Maybe the playground , supermarket ....... but damn this was a Zoo outside the gorilla cage .

I'm sorry but they are completely responsible !

You guys have a point about the parents not controlling or even watching the child..Witnesses' have said that the child disappeared in a brushy clump of landscaping and was not visible for perhaps 5 minutes or more. Apparently not the greatest parental supervision, particularly considering where they were. Gorillas are incredibly powerful animals, I believe it was the San Diego Zoo that built a new outdoor gorilla habitat/exhibit which included a massive Jungle Gym type playset scaled up and made from 10"X10"s bolted together with 1" coarse threaded carriage

bolts, nuts and washers. Two men with 48" pipe wrenches tightened the nuts and really torqued down on them. Within 2 days the Gorillas had taken the play set apart by simply unscrewing the nuts with their fingers. In the end they had to weld the tightened nuts in place. It is hard to grasp just how powerful this animal really is!

Apparently the child sustained a 15 ft fall between climbing the fence and getting roughed up by the ape, as well.

I had two children that would have never climbed that fence.  My third child would have dismantled it and sold it for scrap, then jumped in and engaged the ape in a game of craps and taken him for his watch and lunch money.  We'll never know exactly how the child got to where he did, but if you've raised a rambunctious child, you understand how it happened.  If you haven't, you never will.

24 minutes ago, trust me said:

Apparently the child sustained a 15 ft fall between climbing the fence and getting roughed up by the ape, as well.

I had two children that would have never climbed that fence.  My third child would have dismantled it and sold it for scrap, then jumped in and engaged the ape in a game of craps and taken him for his watch and lunch money.  We'll never know exactly how the child got to where he did, but if you've raised a rambunctious child, you understand how it happened.  If you haven't, you never will.

I noticed your "Troubled Loner" designation. Still has me laughing, Thanks Buddy

PartridgeCartridge
1 hour ago, Spin said:

It is hard to grasp just how powerful this animal really is!

Probably tough too. I'll revise my order to a gorilla ribeye, medium rare of course.

Man, this is a popular topic. And I'm not surprised to see that everyone agrees that shooting the gorilla - tragic as it might seem to others - was the right thing to do. I agree. Anyone thinking differently should ponder what would have happened if a gorilla found a human messing with it's youngster.

While we may agree that the right thing to do was shoot the Gorilla there is a large segment of the population that feels otherwise there have been all sorts of inflammatory rhetoric concerning this from different groups.  The vast majority these groups have shown just how crazy they really are from calling it a hate crime or racism and even murder.  They are now calling out for harm against the parents of the child who have started receiving death threats.

I will say this again you put one of these folks kids in that enclosure with that Gorilla and they will be screaming for someone to shoot the Gorilla.

Going to be a long summer