CIncinatti Zoo Gorilla Shot...

Thanks PC, as usual you did not disappoint us :)

yes shoot the gorilla, and build a better enclosure!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kemo Sabe

• Brad Eden

• WPG Gizmo

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one topic that has no right or wrong side.  - kids are born to explore and test limits. I would not prefer a completely obedient and docile child. -I love zoos, but hate to see anima

I think zoos should be redesigned to resemble Roman colliseums  and we should toss repeat felons and illegal immigrants to lions, tigers and crocs.   that would be way more fun than watching

PartridgeCartridge

NEWSFLASH!

Apparently, somewhere in a zoo a baby gorilla fell into an enclosure with a large, hairy, male, redneck human. Since the outcome and safety of those involved was uncertain for a few brief moments, the Zookeeper did what he thought was best.

They shot the baby gorilla.

I am of the set that doesn't particularly care for zoos.  This was based on showing up late one afternoon and engaging in a conversation with a keeper.  He kept timber wolves and rhinos (don't quite understand how that went together).  Watching him play with the wolves made me think they shouldn't be in the cage.  They were captive raised and as aggressive as your dog.  The rhino was more a surprise.  He was, when gently played with, as gentle as could be.  His slight bumping of the keeper when playing displayed all the affection you would expect from your dog.  Zoos are not the answer.

As to my own experience, as a wild child, I once snuck away from my parents at a zoo like place. Wild kids do that sort of thing at four.  I was found sitting down in front of a grown African lion, stroking his nose through chain link fencing.  I will never forget that experience.  He was more curious than anything else, although I suppose he could have grabbed me through the chain link and munched off my arm.  My father gently asked my mother if she knew where I was.  When she looked my dad grabbed her and said in no uncertain terms "do not scream, get him away as quietly as possible".

salmontogue

Another point of view.....

I just wish this amount of column space and air time was devoted to our troops in Iraq who, according to our President, are non-combat.  Where is the outrage over the faulty terms of engagement hindering all of our military and requiring committee approval of military engagement with the enemy?  Where is the loud shrieking and recriminations over losing servicemen/women who are supposedly advisors and non-combatants?  Have we lost our collective minds over the relationship of important vs. not so important?

I am in no way trying to hijack this thread and personally believe the death of the primate is a huge loss that should/could have been avoided.  In the real world, I would welcome equal outrage to the way our troops are treated during and after their deployments.  Just a thought, your opinions may vary.

Perk

Cooter Brown
50 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Another point of view.....

I am in no way trying to hijack this thread and personally believe the death of the primate is a huge loss that should/could have been avoided.  In the real world, I would welcome equal outrage to the way our troops are treated during and after their deployments.  Just a thought, your opinions may vary.

Perk

I agree, and thought more or less along the same lines.  The day this really hit the fan was Memorial Day and this silliness got far more press and caused more angst among the nattering media and social network classes than the sacrifices of those who gave their lives for our country.

In the Memorial day thread on this forum I noted that my cousin Terry died at 20 years of age in Viet Nam.  He was from Bellvue Ohio.  An ape tossing a baby around in CIncinnati gets shot and the world went nuts.  Where was the outrage for all the Terrys?  Terry died a long time ago but I think you get my point.  And I do think that most people especially in the flyover part of the country who opt out of the outrage culture so prevalent now gave the day its proper due.  It just seems like the abnormal are being normalized and the normal are being marginilized.

But I have to say, even here on the UJ this thread got more traffic than the Memorial day threads.

PoodleHunter

On average zoo's do very little for endangered species recovery, compared to other methods.  Very few zoos actually have active breeding programs and if they do the probability of reintroduction of such species into the wild is very very very low.  Even lower is the probability of survival if they get to the point of reintroduction.  So there is a fair argument against their 'role' in wildlife conservation.  IMHO, Money is better spent preserving and creating wildlife habitat, reducing poaching, and protecting species of concern....in the wild.  I don't mean to imply that zoos have no place in the broad conservation arena...they do.  

Most of their breeding programs exist simply to keep the species on the planet and not extinct.  The notion that these captive animals are being bred to achieve some larger, conservation goal is largely a misnomer.  

That aside, I hate going to them and like others have said, I get depressed.  There is some merit to the fact that zoos are the only exposure some kids (and adults) get to animals and nature (although that makes me even more depressed).  My concern is that young kids seeing large, dangerous animals behind cages and in tiny enclosures creates the illusion that we have dominance over such powerful creatures.  I worry that it inadvertently breeds disrespect for wild animals and creates a confusing reality regarding their role on this planet and how we as humans fit into it....which is the opposite of the zoo's intention.  

Think about how many people you know that went to zoo's growing up on school field trips or family vacations, etc..  Now, how many of those people have what you would consider an enlightened view of wildlife, conservation, and the importance of wild things and wild places in our society?  I have my doubts that zoos do more good than harm. I hate that this gorilla died.  And I agree the zoo made the only logical choice.  But I also have my doubts that this gorilla was actually contributing to silverback conservation efforts on a tangible scale. I could be totally wrong about that.  I cant find anything online about if he was being used in a breeding program or not.  But most animals born in zoo stay there or get transferred to another zoo.  

I think zoos should be redesigned to resemble Roman colliseums  and we should toss repeat felons and illegal immigrants to lions, tigers and crocs.

that would be way more fun than watching football and kids would learn what wild animals are really capable off so when they didn't go to bed at night you could threaten them with a trip to the zoo

21 hours ago, Spin said:

I noticed your "Troubled Loner" designation. Still has me laughing, 

If you only knew...

The value of zoos, if any,  probably comes from exposing more people to "wildlife" (sic) in order to generate interest and caring. That in turn can generate donations for habitat acquisition/preservation and other types of conservation activities. This may then operate much like our own attempts to get more participation in hunting and fishing in order to boost interest in and contributions to programs that benefit the natural environment.

If that's true, then two things strike me as true about zoos: (1) The creatures in them are being pimped for the creatures in the wild which is ethically debatable, and (2) the presence of gorillas in the zoo is what prompts the outrage over killing Harambe. Either way it doesn't speak well for zoos.

It has been many many years since I have gone to a zoo I prefer to see my wildlife in some other setting then a cage.for me a Zoo is nothing more then Animal Jail.  

But this incident really shows you where the mind of the american public is at there are larger more important things happening and a Gorilla getting shot takes center stage:o

there were 69 humans shot in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend, no outage however

Many people despise their own species...a term called misanthropy or being a misanthrope. I sometimes think I am one of those. So that a slew of humans were shot the same day as a Zoo Gorilla and there is no outrage doesn't surprise me the least bit. Cripes a lot of UJers have expressed they like their dogs or dogs in general better than humans

salmontogue
10 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Many people despise their own species...a term called misanthropy or being a misanthrope. I sometimes think I am one of those. So that a slew of humans were shot the same day as a Zoo Gorilla and there is no outrage doesn't surprise me the least bit. Cripes a lot of UJers have expressed they like their dogs or dogs in general better than humans

It is true that many like their dogs more than other humans but you should know that I am training my pet gorilla to retrieve.  He is fast, has superior stamina, great nose, does not give up on cripples but he eats what he retrieves.  Good news, he only retrieves left-wing politicians and their zombie supporters.  I wonder, is that instinctive?

Perk

PartridgeCartridge
52 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Many people despise their own species...a term called misanthropy or being a misanthrope. I sometimes think I am one of those.

Sometimes?

If you had a little more grey hair on your back, You could have been a double in that unfortunate gorilla video.