CIncinatti Zoo Gorilla Shot...

2 hours ago, PoodleHunter said:

Clicker training has always fascinated me and I've heard of it producing some amazing results. 

If you went to a Catholic school, you'd be familiar with clicker training.  Nuns used clickers all the time when we went to mass (3 times a week in grade school)

Troop in down the church aisle.  One click---genuflect---second click----up----third click---into the pews.

nuns were vicious gals.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kemo Sabe

• Brad Eden

• WPG Gizmo

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one topic that has no right or wrong side.  - kids are born to explore and test limits. I would not prefer a completely obedient and docile child. -I love zoos, but hate to see anima

I think zoos should be redesigned to resemble Roman colliseums  and we should toss repeat felons and illegal immigrants to lions, tigers and crocs.   that would be way more fun than watching

3 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

This is one topic that has no right or wrong side.

How true. And now America's Finest News Source has weighed in on the pros and cons of zoos, neatly illustrating the two sides.

2 hours ago, MTRookie76 said:

SgaXgjZ.jpg

And did many other things.

The interesting fact is that this Gorilla was never wild in the first place he was born in a zoo and when he was 21 days old his mother abandoned him so he was raise by a human.  This same person a Texas zoo keeper named Stones had this to say about it

While Harambe didn’t appear aggressive, Stones says he stopped venturing into his enclosure when the gorilla was about 7 years old. By the time a gorilla reaches that age, he explains, their size and weight can make them unsafe to engage with. 

"The deal is they play rough. Once they get to over 100 pounds, if they smack your legs out from underneath you or grab you by the leg and drag you around they're just playing but you will get hurt," he says. "So you stop going in their enclosures because if they play rough and you get hurt, that would be your fault." 

Now if a full grown man who has raised this Gorilla from a baby would not go into the enclosure because he knew what could happen what chance would a 4 year old have 

I'm not shocked at some of the replies here but some clearly reaffirm whats wrong with this Country today . 

''Take responsibility'' ! The parents are responsible for that child and they did not do their job !

I haven't kept track of the investigation so mayb in fact the mother was negligent, dont know....but anyone who hasn't turned around after taking their eyes off a child in a store for 3 seconds and felt the panic of a lost kid....throw the first stone.

On May 31, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Spin said:

Witnesses' have said that the child disappeared in a brushy clump of landscaping and was not visible for perhaps 5 minutes or more. Apparently not the greatest parental supervision, particularly considering where they were. 

drummer's stump
On 5/30/2016 at 10:21 AM, Don Steese said:

No matter who's at fault here we need to get our collective heads around one simple fact....people's lives are more important than animal's lives and their needs should be given priority, in every case with no exceptions!!

Don, I just cant agree with you on this. There is a segment of our society that are generally less valuable than a black fly, and basically a waste of oxygen. I am not saying that this is true in this situation, but saying that humans are more important than animals is a mind set that will prove our undoing. 

Don Steese
1 hour ago, drummer's stump said:

Don, I just cant agree with you on this. There is a segment of our society that are generally less valuable than a black fly, and basically a waste of oxygen. I am not saying that this is true in this situation, but saying that humans are more important than animals is a mind set that will prove our undoing. 

Obviously you've never been fishing in northern Quebec...in early June...having forgotten the DEET...

2 hours ago, drummer's stump said:

Drummer, I tend to agree with you. If, for example there was one of my dogs and a human floating in the middle of a river drowning...I'm going to pause a bit and contemplate who gets saved. Truth be told, there are some mf'ers in this world that will be going under

Drummer and Stump,

While I understand what you are both saying -- you have to understand the world just doesn't work that way. Legally, you can never put anything a head of a human life. 

My son is working as a paramedic on an ambulance in Oakland while he awaits getting a job as a fire fighter. Last year, he went on a call where this dude had stabbed his girl friend 32 times, and she was dead in the bath tub. The boy friend had tried to committ suicide by slitting his wrists, but didn't do a very good job of it. When they got to the scene, this dude was barely hanging onto his life.

My son took care of him, and he lived. His supervisor called him into his office the next day, and commended him for a job well done. My son said "Yes, but that jerk didn't deserve to live". The supervisor immediately jumped him big time for saying that, explaining that if the wrong ears heard him say that, the whole department would be in deep do-do. This one  would have been particular sensitive , because it had a  mixed race component.

So, just from a legal standpoint, you have to always favor the human over the animal  -- particularly if you want to protect everything you have and own.

4 hours ago, Wyo said:

Drummer, I tend to agree with you. If, for example there was one of my dogs and a human floating in the middle of a river drowning...I'm going to pause a bit and contemplate who gets saved. Truth be told, there are some mf'ers in this world that will be going under

Maybe......but this was a little kid.

I can't imagine what a little kid could have done to be chosen over any animal.

1 hour ago, gundogpa said:

Maybe......but this was a little kid.

I can't imagine what a little kid could have done to be chosen over any animal.

I think this conversation has drifted past the kid/gorilla situation...from what I've read on this post, all here agree that that ape had to be taken down

Now, we've gravitated towards what would you choose: your dog or a turd

Don Steese

I'd risk my own life to save my dogs, damn near died one time saving my two shorthairs, but given a choice between saving a person and a dog, the person lives. Deciding whether someone's worth saving is way above my pay grade.  It'd likely break my heart but so be it. I think most who say they'd let the person die and save the dog would be hard pressed to really do it when push came to shove, but I've been wrong before.  I'm also of the opinion that most who say they'd save an animal before a person were not talking about a little kid like the one involved with this unfortunate incident.