CIncinatti Zoo Gorilla Shot...

Don...what if the "person" was Hitler, Saddam, Bin Laden...etc. ?

(I know, stretchin' it= pre-apologies to Brad)

Actually an interesting conversation

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kemo Sabe

• Brad Eden

• WPG Gizmo

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one topic that has no right or wrong side.  - kids are born to explore and test limits. I would not prefer a completely obedient and docile child. -I love zoos, but hate to see anima

I think zoos should be redesigned to resemble Roman colliseums  and we should toss repeat felons and illegal immigrants to lions, tigers and crocs.   that would be way more fun than watching

They showed an example of the new and improved fence that they are planning to replace the old one with. All I can say is "you have to be kidding". A post and rail fence, vertical with wire mesh mounted along the side. It's 6" taller than the old one. At the least you'd think that it would of had an inward canted top as you see on many security fences. It makes climbing up and then over very difficult if not impossible for children to get over and does it without unduly adding obstructive height. What they are installing is very little improvement over what they had.

Don Steese
4 hours ago, Wyo said:

Don...what if the "person" was Hitler, Saddam, Bin Laden...etc. ?

(I know, stretchin' it= pre-apologies to Brad)

Actually an interesting conversation

Geez, I thought I'd heard somewhere that those guys were already dead??  I gotta follow the news closer!!

11 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Geez, I thought I'd heard somewhere that those guys were already dead??  I gotta follow the news closer!!

Don, you must be mistaken. Here's Saddam hanging out with old bud Donald Rumsfeld. This photo was taken just last week during a party at Graceland hosted by....

Source: National Enquirer

rummy.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:07 AM, HAMMER DOG said:

WOW!! There's a ton of either misinformation or just flat out prejudice against zoos, one or the other but when people say zoos do little for conservation or populations it lets me know they really have done little actual research or spent any time working at one. I have 4 friends that are biologists at the OKC zoo and have spent time volunteering as well along side them and what you see on the outside is the tip of the iceberg compared to the actual workings and research that goes on at a zoo, first off there are thousands of off site hours spent by staff doing field work, probably more than most DNRs do, but you never see it so I guess it doesn't exist. My friend Brett for example has spent the last two months straight doing field work in the SE part of the nation, he is a herpetologist, my friend Dani has spent the last 4 months doing field work in the Gulf Coast area she is a Marine Biologist and my friend Brandon has been working the last year on a breeding program related to of all things Lesser Prairie Chicken, and his wife is a primatologist working on Orangutan breeding but yeah you don't see it but it is there and it is funded by the zoo through admissions, boosters, events and grants.

Next as far as having Harambe in a zoo and the "well he is a wild animal and shouldn't be confined" no he was never a wild animal, Harambe was born in a zoo in Brownsville Texas through a successful breeding program, and most animals in zoos are just that captive bred, these are not the early 20th century where they are going and constantly raiding wild resources for animals. Lastly as far as the zoos enclosure it is estimated for the kid to have made it through the literal maze and obstacle course it had to have taken 12-15 minutes which police are now examining video to see how long the child was unobserved and not even noticed gone, so place the blame on the ignorant, lazy, worthless parent for him getting in not the zoo. Ask yourself this if it was so easy why is this the first time in nearly three decades?

This post is way better than the one I would have written along the same line.  Modern zoos have a done a great job with naturalizing the animals habitat yet allowing for people to see them.  Kids especially have enormous amounts of curiosity about animals and the zoo is a great place to satisfy that.  We were members of the PGH Zoo society until we moved to TX; it had a great learning area for kids and they funded a lot of worthwhile projects around the world. 

Meanwhile, my reincarnation plan is to come back as one of my wife's dogs.  There is simply no better life on Planet Earth..

Isn't the San Diego Zoo considerred a good zoo? We went there some years back on a family vacation to Carlsbad CA. It was still a zoo with bored caged animals and obnoxious humans (me and my family included) gawking like aliens on this planet at them. Maybe all sorts of great research and breeding is going on in the background, and maybe one of the kids teasing the animals will someday save a species. Maybe I'm not looking past the surface or going to the wrong zoos. Zoos apparently need to market themselves better and educate the attendees of all the positives of caging animals for our viewing pleasure. JMO

Bullwinkle

We go to the Columbus (Ohio) zoo occasionally none of the animals are in what one thinks of as an old school cage.