REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JK SE PA

Roof top cargo bag

JK SE PA

I'm contemplating buying one of these. For the amount of use it will get (1-2 times/year), it doesn't make sense to get into one of the more expensive rooftop systems and the hard box.  Does anybody use one or have any experience with them?  Any suggested brands?  

charlo slim

I bought one, major brand that I don't recall just now.  Used it once... and not since.  Nothing really  at all wrong with it, just turns out that our operation tends to run more toward contractor bags, duct tape, and bungee cords. The "grapes of wrath" approach, as it were.

Tell ya what though, let's see what shows up on this thread.  I'll check out details on the near-new bag hanging in the garage.  Then, if you are interested, make an appropriate contribution to UJ and I will send you the bag and cover shipping cost.  .  

EB&Me

I bought one by a company called The Roof Bag for a trip to Wyo. It works very well and loaded well since it does not have a fixed shape. Worked really good for soft gear like duffels, sleeping bags, tent,etc. Kept the weather out nicely despite driving through some heavy downpours. You do have to watch out for scratching the top of your car if you are worried about that. It came with a pad to set it on to prevent scratching, which has seemed to work. It ties down with straps that go through the cab, so you have those to deal with. Also not real theft proof so you have to keep that in mind. All in all a satisfactory cargo carrier for an economical price.

Fire Marshal Bill

We had one that we used to transport clothes and etc to Florida and back every year. It strapped to the rails on our SUV. It went thru many a rain and snow storms w/o the clothes inside getting wet. And as I recall it wasn't that expensive either. Hope this helps.

charlo slim

Bag is a Thule 867, 15 to 17 cubic ft capacity.  Maybe 5 years old, but essentially perfect condition IIRC, will check carefully if you decide you are interested. Mr. Google search provides full description. 

JK SE PA

charlo, I appreciate the offer.  Depending on what I decide, I may be in touch.  Thanks for the other replies as well.

charlo slim

Sounds good.

martyg

JK - consider watching for an REI garage sale and pick up a hard box. A LOT of people "rent" these from REI, using them for a trip and then returning them (not that I am suggesting that you do the same). I have a big Thule box (forget the model). It is used consistently through hunting and ski season, and goes away when the kayak racks go on the vehicle. If you can get one discounted I think that they are a far better value than a bag - even with casual use.

I also have friends who are constantly using it - enabling me to leverage firewood, fish or game, lawn cuttings, etc. as the rental fee.

JK SE PA

Marty, thanks for the heads up.

Talon1

I have one of the Thule Soft carriers. I like it after it's on the vehicle, but the chore is getting it on the vehicle. You have to load it on the ground, then put it on top of the vehicle.I tried to load it on the vehicle once and it doesn't really work.  If you have teen age boys, then it shouldn't be a problem, but my kids were smaller when we were camping a lot, so I would end up having to shoulder press it overhead and putting it on my Expedition. Not fun.

I think I like Marty's idea the best.