Uplander

Olympics

Doubleplay

I always watch Olympics and I'll watch again. As a matter of fact I started watching with women's soccer and USA won their first game! Our sensationalist media is making a big deal about the Zika and the pollution. Kudos to all the athletes competing and hope Kim Rhodes medals again and breaks the record for most consecutive medals in Olympics. 

HAMMER DOG

I have always watched the summer games mainly for the wrestling, equestrian, and shooting sports but this one I have a feeling is going to go down as the worst ever in several ways. I know they gave Brazil the Olympics to have them in a "developing nation" but how they felt it made sense and would go off well is beyond me especially in Rio which is a cesspool and has been for decades, the town is filthy as we are now seeing, the political machine makes the worst we have look like saints and the crime rate is simply unbelievable. I really hope the best for the athletes especially those who are going to deal with the water sports.

ccavacini

Really stopped watching when the Olympics decided it wasn't for amateurs anymore.  I'll watch some track and field and some golf.  Maybe some swimming.

Sad.

Ben Hong

I will watch more than a bit, especially our Canadian kids, but not as much as in prior years. Those *&^(#%*& Russians have ruined it again with their unabashed and unabated doping. This would have been a good year for the fat cat IOC directorate to bring the hammer down on the Russkies, but they chickened out or were bought out...again!

Dakota Dogman

I'm not sure the Ruskies did anything others are not doing... they just took it to the next level of cheating.  I'd love to believe that none of our American athletes are doing anything like that... but 20 years ago it was common in college sports.  Lots of vet's helped to build up "studs".  Not even sure how you could go about ensuring that drugs weren't used anymore.  We have no TV, so I won't catch much... wish they would show more wrestling.  Would love to watch Jordan B. & our big 190 lb-er (for got his name). Ah well. You tube in 2 months will have it.

God BLess,

Brad Eden

Wow, what a bunch of buzzkills!

Im with Uplander. Looking forward to watching.

WPG Gizmo

Those that watch I hope you enjoy them I do not intend to and I do have great concern as to the safety of all the participants 

Don Steese
22 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Those who would do evil play to the media.  They want attention and the media gives it to them gratis and with embellishment.  How can anyone believe the media is unwitting in all this?

Perk

I spent most of my working life in the media, or at least on the edges. Was a newsman, news director, station owner, air personality, chief cook and bottle washer. Unfortunately, today everything is ratings/revenue driven. Way back when, when I started, news departments were truly independent and not subject to corporate pressure to turn a buck. That being said, if a guy drives to work every day and arrives safely, there's nothing to report, however if he t-bones a mini-van and kills a carload of children, it's a big story. No real way to get around that and if you don't cover it, your competition will and your listeners/viewers will be watching them. We're as much to blame as any media outlet because of our appetite for sensational stuff. With the 24 hour news cycle it's even worse. All that having been said I'd rather live in a society where we have a free press than in one where censorship is the order of the day. News people, as flawed as they may be, are not, in my opinion, the enemy. Yes, bad guys play to the media, but they're still the ones who are the bad guys. 

salmontogue
54 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I spent most of my working life in the media, or at least on the edges. Was a newsman, news director, station owner, air personality, chief cook and bottle washer. Unfortunately, today everything is ratings/revenue driven. Way back when, when I started, news departments were truly independent and not subject to corporate pressure to turn a buck. That being said, if a guy drives to work every day and arrives safely, there's nothing to report, however if he t-bones a mini-van and kills a carload of children, it's a big story. No real way to get around that and if you don't cover it, your competition will and your listeners/viewers will be watching them. We're as much to blame as any media outlet because of our appetite for sensational stuff. With the 24 hour news cycle it's even worse. All that having been said I'd rather live in a society where we have a free press than in one where censorship is the order of the day. News people, as flawed as they may be, are not, in my opinion, the enemy. Yes, bad guys play to the media, but they're still the ones who are the bad guys. 

Nicely said but there are plenty of media types that embellish stories to make them substantively different than reality.  There are those who create stories that are fictitious and then scramble to fill in the potholes later with baloney coldpatch.  The bad guys playing to the media certainly are bad guys but so are the fabricators and embellishers in the media.  The public encourages these malefactors and also share blame.

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”  Thomas Jefferson

If electronic media was available in Jefferson's time, he would have included them.

Perk

Don Steese
32 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Nicely said but there are plenty of media types that embellish stories to make them substantively different than reality.  There are those who create stories that are fictitious and then scramble to fill in the potholes later with baloney coldpatch.  The bad guys playing to the media certainly are bad guys but so are the fabricators and embellishers in the media.  The public encourages these malefactors and also share blame.

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”  Thomas Jefferson

If electronic media was available in Jefferson's time, he would have included them.

Perk

If we're not smart enough to know when someone is embellishing a story we're in sad shape. I think most who hang out here could smell a rat in anchorman's clothing, at least I'd hope so. 

Jefferson wasn't always right as he also thought the constitution should be changed about every 20 years or so as conditions warranted. I tend to agree with him but everybody knows I'm crazy!!  He was on a very short list of truly great Americans!  

In case anybody cares, which they shouldn't, I have zero interest in the games or competitive sports of any kind.  Probably time to revoke my man card??

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

If we're not smart enough to know when someone is embellishing a story we're in sad shape. I think most who hang out here could smell a rat in anchorman's clothing, at least I'd hope so. 

Jefferson wasn't always right as he also thought the constitution should be changed about every 20 years or so as conditions warranted. I tend to agree with him but everybody knows I'm crazy!!  He was on a very short list of truly great Americans!  

A DEA assistant director, now retired, told me, "Never underestimate the public's ability to sink to lower levels than you could ever imagine"  If you consider the average television news watcher who is tired from the day's work, stressed, over-fed and possibly under some kind of influence....how perceptive is this viewer to read between the lines?

Jefferson was definitely an over-achiever but often received credit that properly belonged to James Madison.

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.  James Madison

Perk

Don Steese
19 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

A DEA assistant director, now retired, told me, "Never underestimate the public's ability to sink to lower levels than you could ever imagine"  If you consider the average television news watcher who is tired from the day's work, stressed, over-fed and possibly under some kind of influence....how perceptive is this viewer to read between the lines?

Perk

I surrender...you emerge victorious!

Ben Hong
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. 

Perk

Oh, really?!?!

salmontogue
5 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Oh, really?!?!

Are you not a North American?  You've got James Madison and me laughing.

Perk

Brad Eden

I don't referee conflicts between countries, in this case US and Canada. B Hong and a salmontogue take this somewhere else, thank you.