REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Uplander

Olympics

Wet Dog

Trying to watch as much of womens beach volleyball as possible.

UplandHntr
3 hours ago, Wet Dog said:

Trying to watch as much of womens beach volleyball as possible.

Sweden has a well put together team this year!!!

bobman

The Olympics has lost its way it used to be a true test of strength and athleticism,  ping pong??? 

Why don't they show the weight lifting? Do they even still have things like the hammer throw, shot put, javelin ?

Ping pong LOL!  ( nothing wrong with ping pong I was our high school champ and like the game, but its not an Olympic sport)

Its more of the sissification of society.

In another 10 years pokemon will be in the Olympics.

Cooter Brown

An American lady, Corey Codgell, took bronze in trapshooting in a shoot off.

And swimmer Katie Ledecky absolutely clobbered the competition in the 400 meter freestyle.  She beat second place by nearly five seconds, and her own record by nearly two seconds.

Every four years I tell myself I don't care about the Olympics and won't watch any of it, but then I get pulled in by people like Ledecky, who seems totally unaffected by the nonsense and hype.  Young folks like her are what the whole thing is all about and if you can't appreciate what she's done through hard work, dedication and sheer talent you're a cold person indeed.

I wish I weren't so cheap and had better access to technology so I could watch some of the less hyped sports.  They only showed a few minutes of whitewater slalom, and none of the C-1 which is what I'm really interested in.  Although I wish they'd hold these things on a real river--the last time that happened was in '96 on the Ocoee.

My advice--ignore the hype, the controversy, the silly showbiz production and appreciate the young folks--the ones doing it right without PEDs--who are achieving things only the tiniest fraction of people can dream of.

Brad Eden

What he said. ^

HAMMER DOG

Some amazing Judo matches this weekend, the 112th ranked knocking off the 6th ranked being only part of the matches

frak

I usually give the Canadian bacon from my egg McMuffin to my dog when we drive to the field.  I like the stuff, don't get me wrong, but he seems to like it even more than I do.  

As for the olympics: IMHO it should be limited to the sports that no one watches - - track & field, wrestling, weight lifting, swimming (unsynchronized), gymnastics (but nothing with swirling ribbons).   

PartridgeCartridge

I was going to be an Olympic athlete but they told me I was too fast, strong, agile and gifted. And then, of course, was the whole having to sleep with super models and jet setting around the globe in a private Lear jet. It all just sounded too boring.

So I stuck with ruffed grouse and dogs with bad breath instead.

Runningdog
1 hour ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I was going to be an Olympic athlete but they told me I was too fast, strong, agile and gifted. And then, of course, was the whole having to sleep with super models and jet setting around the globe in a private Lear jet. It all just sounded too boring.

So I stuck with ruffed grouse and dogs with bad breath instead.

Ruffed Grouse.... boring!...;)

Doubleplay

Well maybe it's early to speak but seems like most everything working smoothly in Rio contrary to all the negative bias banter.

So far I enjoyed watching games even tough I don't like the unnecessary drama created by the media in some occasions.

martyg
On 8/8/2016 at 7:15 AM, Cooter Brown said:

An American lady, Corey Codgell, took bronze in trapshooting in a shoot off.

And swimmer Katie Ledecky absolutely clobbered the competition in the 400 meter freestyle.  She beat second place by nearly five seconds, and her own record by nearly two seconds.

Every four years I tell myself I don't care about the Olympics and won't watch any of it, but then I get pulled in by people like Ledecky, who seems totally unaffected by the nonsense and hype.  Young folks like her are what the whole thing is all about and if you can't appreciate what she's done through hard work, dedication and sheer talent you're a cold person indeed.

I wish I weren't so cheap and had better access to technology so I could watch some of the less hyped sports.  They only showed a few minutes of whitewater slalom, and none of the C-1 which is what I'm really interested in.  Although I wish they'd hold these things on a real river--the last time that happened was in '96 on the Ocoee.

My advice--ignore the hype, the controversy, the silly showbiz production and appreciate the young folks--the ones doing it right without PEDs--who are achieving things only the tiniest fraction of people can dream of.

"Real" rivers are problematic for major international events. The Ocoee is certainly a river with very, very heavy human influence affecting its flows, riverbed and banks.

Larry Brown

If I'd had the makings of an Olympic athlete, it would have been back in the days when--at least on the American side--they basically starved and sacrificed to make the team.  No pampered pros need apply, in any sport . . . although other nations (on the other side of the evil old Iron Curtain, for example) cheated like heck on the pro thing.  If you want to see an excellent movie on what track was like back in the late 60's/early 70's, get your hands on "Without Limits".  It's the story of Steve Prefontaine.  "Pre" was by far the best American 5,000 meter runner, and along with Frank Shorter, brought about an American renaissance in distance running.  Pre was basically living on food stamps and a University of Oregon track scholarship.  The guys against whom they competed overseas were getting appearance fees etc--all under the table.  If an American did that back then, he would have been sanctioned by the AAU.

Lest  anyone forget the real dark side of the Olympics:  Arab terrorism came front and center into American living rooms in 1972, when Black September killed a couple Israeli athletes in the Olympic village, then kidnapped several others.  All--including the terrorists--were killed in a botched German rescue attempt.

Then there was always President Carter's boycott of the 1980 Moscow Games because the Russians had invaded Afghanistan.  He must've ignored the fact that no one boycotted in 64, 68 or 72 when we were fighting an undeclared war in Vietnam.  For many athletes, depending on the sport, they have only one shot to make the Games.  I read about a teacher here in Iowa who'd been a very good runner in college but gave it up.  Decided to give it one last shot to make the 1980 team--which he did, finishing 3rd in the 800.  And then he didn't get to go.  Couldn't afford to put his life on hold to try again.

Brad Eden

M enjoying these Rio Olympics. Watching the women's gymnastics team work towards their team Gold medal right now. I already heard they won but it's still awesome to watch. 

Cooter Brown

Katie Ledecky just won gold in her weakest event, and Michael Phelps just won his 20th gold.

I got a big kick out of the American lady swimmer who whipped the Russian who's been caught doping...

Steve Sutton

I'm in awe of the Women's 8 rowing team....poised to win their THIRD consecutive Gold Medal after piling up 10 consecutive World and Olympic titles.....only the Russian Hockey team comes close with 9 consecutive wins.....

All but anonymous except during Olympic years this is not only a team effort where the team members are constantly changing this a program that creates atheletes that excel without all the chest pounding or whining about how tough it is not to be a drunk and without any of the performance enhancement drug shadows that hang over so much of the Olympics.....

Nice to see what amounts to what is the purist of "amatuer" atheletes left....

Steve