REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Uplander

Olympics

Crazy Horse

For the last few days I've been burning up my TV clicker trying to find a station that is showing ANY of the shooting events. I'm particularly interested in the shotgun events. Unfortunately I can't find any. I suppose those sports are too violent and not politically correct.

So instead I've been watching some of the better British shows, Inspector Morris, Miss Fisher, Inspector Lewis, Rosemary & Tyne and such other shows that are much more refined on the PBS channels.  Nothing politically incorrect there, they simply show murders....in abundance.

By the way, what time do the Swedish Women's Volley Ball games start.

Don Steese
On 8/8/2016 at 2:05 PM, Doubleplay said:

Well maybe it's early to speak but seems like most everything working smoothly in Rio contrary to all the negative bias banter.

I was also pleased to see that things were going well. Hope it continues!

MTRookie76

I've really been enjoying these Olympics. My eight yr old daughter has been glued to the TV and makes sure the Olympics are on pretty much 24/7. The performance of the American woman's gymnastic team has been nothing short of spectacular, not being an expert in gymnastics it is apparent that they are in a completely different league when compared to the other teams. Their dominance did make the team finals very anti climatic but sometimes you just need to appreciate greatness.

I also have a few cynical observations. I'm 99.9% certain the Hungarian swimmer Katinka Hosszu is on the juice. It will be interesting to see if she keeps her medals, if she does they are one step ahead of the testers. The other observation is there is no possible way all the girls on the Chinese woman's gymnastic team is 16 yrs old. The Americans made them look like the little girls that they are. Cheaters suck but it wouldn't be the Olympics without them.

Brad Eden

As mentioned I am enjoying the olympics and try and find the small stories amidst the hype. Can't deny I like the mainstream events like swimming, and gymnastics. One issue I have is trying to find events I want to watch. We have Directv and there are at least 4-5 channels covering events. I get a headache checking which one I want to watch at any given time. Also the biggest gripe is the way these channels/news stations wait until well after our bedtime to start showing the major events....we are hard pressed to stay up past 9PM. :/

Cooter Brown

I'm with you on that, Brad.  Brazil is only one hour ahead of EST and the idiots at NBC delay the events so much that a lot of things are on too late.  I was asleep before the women's event where Ledecky swam the anchor leg for gold in a relay.  How are young folks supposed to get excited about this stuff if it's on so late they can't see it?  Maybe young folks stream the stuff.

I don't have cable/sat and am limited to what I see on the network.  It's amazing how badly NBC can screw up something so cool with their silly-ass programming.  The behind the scenes nonsense, created drama, way too much "up close and personal" pre-packaged crap.  All of this stuff going on while there are actual events happening.  Of course NBC focus groups this stuff and maybe that's what appeals to the audience they admit they're going after--women.

Don Steese
16 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Of course NBC focus groups this stuff and maybe that's what appeals to the audience they admit they're going after--women.

That's it in a nutshell!  Kinda like soap opera sports!! I don't really care much about the games or the people who play them, but I feel for the people who actually want to see the competition. 

dogrunner

I get tired of seeing swimming and gymnastics. ¬¬ plus the commentators have not been that good.

Larry Brown

Track starts today.  Let the real Olympics begin!  Will be interesting to see if Bolt makes his "triple triple".

Some interesting stories in the running events.  We have guys 40+ running the 5,000 and the marathon on the US team.  During the trials, I remember a guy--can't recall whether it was the 1500 or 5,000--who'd given up running and was working construction.  His coach contacted him, convinced him to give it one more shot.  He made the team. 

Previously, I mentioned the movie "Without Limits" as a good look at track and the Olympics 40-odd years ago.  I'm reading a book called "Endurance" by Rick Broadbent.  It's the biography of Emil Zatopek, "the Czech locomotive".  He won gold in the 3 longest races in the Olympics in 1952:  5,000, 10,000, and marathon.  I doubt that record will ever be broken.  It's a very interesting look at distance running back then, when there were all kinds of theories on the best way to train and race--many of them crackpot.  Like not drinking during the marathon.  And of course running on cinder tracks in crappy shoes.  Another good book about the same era is "The Perfect Mile".  Story of Roger Bannister, John Landy and Wes Santee as they compete to be the first to run a mile under 4 minutes.  Back then, a lot of people thought a sub-4 minute mile would kill you.  I have the video of Bannister's record mile.  He actually paid (a nominal amount) to train on the track near the hospital where he was doing his residency.  And finishing his medical training, he had very little time for running.  Had to make every workout count.  Both books are great reminders of what it was like when those guys ran for medals and not much else.  Imagine what the first sub-4 minute mile would be worth today, if that barrier were still standing!

jeff88
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:39 AM, bntsetter said:

The Olympic Soccer has already started.  US women won their first math....

This is far and away my favorite American National team.  Have been a huge fan for decades.  I've done a bit of youth coaching and over the years, have always shown my teams their games.  This team from the get go played for each other like very few teams of either sex will.  They also play a technically sound game, just watch to see how often there is not a support player in the picture the second a play breaks down.  No team plays triangles as well, no team switches the field as well.  Also, American female players have developed high-level ball handling skills, the only area their opposition in the past could do better.  Not now.  Anyone watch Tobin Heath beat four players versus a very talented French team?  She looked like Sidney Crosby breaking down a defenseman times four.  Back in the VCR days I used to record a game, break down the tape and play sections for my teams to watch and emulate.  I am a very proud American of how this team represents us on the global stage.  No one is a showboat, it's all for one and one for all.  The last two iterations of this team just wins then moves to the next one. 

Brad Eden

The media gets bashed a lot, for good reason, but sometimes the background stories on athletes is inspiring and sobering and enlightening. The sacrrifices they make to get to the Olympics and the pitfalls along the way are very interesting.

Im not a big fan of Michael Phelps, always found him arrogant and unlikeable. But the guy is a phenom, and I am glad I was able to see him in his prime, which never seems to end.

jeff88

OK, now I feel like I jinxed the US Women Soccer team, they just lost in a shootout with Sweden.  The US team outplayed Sweden by a very large margin but missed many scoring chances, 3 or 4 of them were missed by a very small margin.   In the shootout they started from behind with a missed 1st shot that did not help.  Congratulations to Sweden.  Guess that's sports though.  Even in defeat, no sign of poor sportsmanship. 

Cold Iron

Wow got to see Kim Rhode win the Bronze in International Skeet in a doubles shootoff, that was one heck of a show. I got to see her win Gold in 96 in Atlanta. Pretty sure no need for me to turn the TV back on for another 6 months or so now. Although Crazy Horse did have me looking for the Swedish Women's Volleyball team for a bit...

Larry Brown

Anyone see the Ethiopian runner shatter the world record in the women's 10,000?  Wasn't really much of a race to watch because she had such a lead from about halfway on that it was her against the clock.  Incredible run considering that no one was pushing her.

Crazy Horse

Imagine that, Kim Rhode medals in SIX (6) straight Olympics (the only woman to do that) and not a word on any TV station. She should have said that Obama invented the dreaded AK-47 and it would have made frontline world news!!!!

Huntschool

We also took a Bronze in Mens singles Archery..... Hellish shooting.

We also took a medal in team dressage which I think is kind of neat since its not still all that big here in the US.

The review this afternoon on NBC coverage did acknowledge Kim for her Bronze medal in skeet.  However I fear we may be out of it in mens skeet.