REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Uplander

Olympics

Ben Hong

Most of Canada's 13 or 14 medals have come from the strong performances of a group teenagers in the pool. One gold medal came via the trampoline. The uniqueness of this success is that all of the medals were won by women.:D

Uplander
11 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Im not a big fan of Michael Phelps, always found him arrogant and unlikeable. But the guy is a phenom, and I am glad I was able to see him in his prime, which never seems to end.

Phelps breaking a +2100 year record for individual Olympic medals is epic.

strato-caster

Women's Skeet was shown on MSNBC in the 9am-12pm PDT slot today, and I believe Men's skeet will be shown at the same time Sat. Several airgun events including the US' first gold medal and today's men's 50m prone event were shown during the day time broadcasts on NBC, MSNBC or NBCSN. Search the web for times and stations as coverage is fairly complete between the multitude of stations covering the games. No real reason to miss what your interested in...

Cooter Brown

Congrats to Kim Rhode!

I feel badly for the women's soccer team.  This is the first time in 20 years they haven't played in the gold match.  That level of consistency is almost impossibly high.  I don't know much about soccer and can't comment on the match.  Solo's comments were...unfortunate.

It was a treat to see Ledecky almost lap the field in the 800, and seeing Maya Dirado come from behind on the last lap to win her race was super exciting.  Dirado apparently is an academic as well as an athletic superstar--just a prime example of an Olympian.  Both of these ladies are class acts.

Like Brad said Phelps' behavior has never made him a favorite of mine, but he really seems to have mellowed and gotten a lot more gracious while still maintaining his competitive edge.  A three way tie for third with two of his biggest rivals in his last solo race was pretty cool.  They showed a picture of Phelps from ten years ago with the guy from Singapore who won the race--the little boy in the picture beat his idol.  Fine stuff.

And a 35 year old man won the 50 freestyle!

Now track and field starts--I'm looking forward to seeing the British woman defend her gold in the heptathalon.  I hope they show some of the stuff like hammer, discus, javelin that more often than not get hind tit in the coverage.  I guess I should have upgraded my internet connection so I could stream some of the stuff that isn't covered on the network.

Ben Hong

Speaking of bad behaviour, then there is Hope Solo!

Rockdoc
1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

Thank you Ben, while I know she doesn't represent Canada at least I know I'm not the only person appalled by her poor behavior.

Steve

Doubleplay
On August 13, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Ben Hong said:

Sore loser!

Dakota Dogman
On 8/12/2016 at 9:17 PM, Uplander said:

Phelps breaking a +2100 year record for individual Olympic medals is epic.

Understand he had a change of heart / life in recovery something like a year ago.  Maybe has a new Purpose for his life.  He was pretty over bearing when younger... Has he been better this Olympics?  Some never grow up (Carl Lewis didn't seem to get it...) other child athletic stars like Randy Lewis has grown up pretty well last I heard. 

God Bless, 

Dakota Dogman
5 minutes ago, Doubleplay said:

Sore loser!

She admitted she was a bad looser. Many great athletes are.  Frankly you don't get to that level by being good at loosing.  That said, there is class and there is something else.

God Bless, 

Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Understand he had a change of heart / life in recovery something like a year ago.  Maybe has a new Purpose for his life.  He was pretty over bearing when younger... Has he been better this Olympics?  Some never grow up (Carl Lewis didn't seem to get it...) other child athletic stars like Randy Lewis has grown up pretty well last I heard. 

God Bless, 

Like Ive said, never been a fan of Phelps. Still find his personality a bit obnoxious even in these Olympics, but that might be an after effect of his past attitude and behavior. He genuinely seems to have softened and handled his Silver medal tie with class, even though he was fully expected to win Gold. The winner was a young man who idolized Phelps and even met him and had a picture taken when he was 13. And again, he was clearly emotional and grateful to be part of the relay team that won the last gold medal. He apparently was arrested twice for DUI and had photos of him taken smoking pot-that went viral. Since then he has become engaged to a seriously gorgeous woman, and they have a baby son together. And he obviously trained hard to get back in the pool. None of this new persona seems fake or an attempt to conciously mend his image for marketing purposes. But, I could be wrong, but don't think so.

Greg Hartman

I'm not a big fan of the Olympics since I discovered that many of the athletes are the pampered children of wealthy people who are basically fully supported professional athletes/game players - and that it is virtually impossible for a middle class working person with a family to support to compete at that level.

That said, I need to tell a story.  Many years ago, I was attending a major three-day registered skeet shoot.  Having just arrived at the shoot venue om Friday morning (don't remember where - maybe Palm Beach, FL) I wanted to shoot a couple rounds of practice to get used to the fields, etc.  As I was joining a squad of other practice shooters, I noticed a petite young girl of maybe 15 years.  She was soft-spoken and asked politely if there was room on the squad - could she shoot with us.  Of course, I said yes, thinking that this might be a slow and tedious couple rounds with a beginner, but everyone needs to start somewhere.  She introduced herself and told me she was from California.

The teenager said that "My Dad told me I should ask anyone I shoot with to put up one dollar on the round so that there would be a reason to shoot my best."  I didn't want to do that because I was a pretty accomplished shooter at that point and I didn't want to take money from a little girl.  I told her that wasn't something I wanted to do, but she was very insistent, so I, and everyone else on the squad, put up $1.00 and asked the puller to hold the money.  The little girl proceeded to turn 50 skeet targets in a row into smokeballs!  It was an amazing performance.  Everyone was very happy to turn the $1.00 over to the young girl.

Her dad, who was about my age at the time, was watching her shoot.  Afterward I spoke with him at some length.  He told me (without complaining about it - just stating a fact) that he and his wife devoted their entire lives and all of their income to supporting the girl's shooting - with entry fees, ammunition, coaches, traveling to shoots, etc.  The little girl was, of course, Kim Rhode.  Her Olympic achievement was the result, not only of her astounding skill and natural ability, but also from the sacrifice of a middle class family that devoted everything it had to her shooting.  I suspect (but don't know) that things became easier after she won her first Gold Medal with sponsorships for guns, vast quantities of ammunition, entry fees and travel, but that is no easy road.  I suspect (but don't know) that even now there is not much money in the game for her.

Cooter Brown

That's really neat, Greg.  One time I was shooting skeet with my SxS game gun, low gun, sometimes starting with it in just one hand, safety on, wrong footing myself, looking away from the house, trying to make it harder like I usually do.  I was doing everything they'd let me do to make it harder without getting thrown off the course.  I shoot skeet to be a better field shot.

There was a guy on the squad that was whacking 'em pretty good.  As in whacking all of them.  I didn't think much of it because I regularly get outshot.  This was at Tom Lowe shooting grounds near Atlanta (where they had the Olympic shooting in '96 though not on that field which at the time was still there) and there are some real fine shooters there.

Anyway the gal pulling the targets, Judy, was getting frustrated with my antics as usual.  Judy is an inner city girl who's been pulling there since she was a kid.  The fine shooters there (Dan Carlisle used to shoot there quite a bit at the time) took her under their wings and she was a good shot, too.  Anyway she used to give me hell because she knew I could hit more targets if I just stopped messing around.  She didn't understand the field thing.

But this guy understood what I was doing and was getting a kick out of the usual back and forth between Judy and me.  (I told her at one point that If I just wanted to break targets I'd get a hammer and a box of White Flyers and sit out in the driveway.  She said I'd do a lot better that way now get that damn gun up take off the safety and get yo' damn feet right!)  The fellow and I checked out each other's guns, joked, messed with each other when we were shooting, in general hit it off.

At some point I looked at his shell pouch and saw the gold ring looking thing sewn to it--he was the national champ from the year before.  I forget his name.

Fortunately that day I was on my game, relaxed and shooting well.

It's been a few years since I shot there, but the last time I went some of the high rollers had taken Judy on some dove hunts and a south Georgia plantation quail hunt or two, and she understood why I was doing what I was on the skeet field and gave me a lot less hell about it.  Fortunately she still gave some hell because we both enjoyed it.

To your point about rich kids and sports, there's something to that, but there are a LOT of kids who come from very difficult circumstances and make it to the games, and I'd say most families are closer to Kim Rhode's story than not.  Particularly in the less prestigious sports.  They sacrifice a lot.

Usain Bolt is amazing!

Ben Hong
3 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Usain Bolt is amazing!

Man, is he ever!!! But. look out for the 21 year old Canadian kid Andre deGrasse who just took up track and running 3-4 years ago and now owns a Bronze Medal following Usain and Gatlin. Usain anointed him the next dominant sprinter. Considering the source, that's pretty big!

When and why did golf ever sneak into the Olympics??!!??

UplandHntr

Why golf?? Did you hear that skateboarding will be an olympic event in 4 years??? Just when I thought I Couldnt care less about the olympics....

Brad Eden

Saw handball for the first time. I thought it was a soccer team fooling around or something....not....googled it. Never knew such a sport existed. Lots of obscure and not so obscure events in the Olympics I guess. I'm gonna rally support for Cornhole. Anyone else in?