REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jacquidog

4X4 vs 2X4 ATV

Jacquidog

I am thinking about a ATV for my little slice of the Pocono"s. We have 15 acres and my neighbors have another 35 that is our little co-op. Not to much up and down and fairly well drained. A small footprint seems like it would be advantageous, but input from people who have been there and done that would be appreciated. This ATV has no specific purpose other that I have always lusted over triggers and gasoline anythings. 

Brad Eden

You probably don't need a 4x4 ATV but a 2X4 digs up trails a lot worse. All the donuts and ruts people see were likely done with a 4x4 that was using only 2x4 or a 2x4. I had an older Kawasaki Prairie 400 that had full time 4x4 with no 2x4 setting. It hugged the ground like you wouldn't believe and left little damage. But, if you are just tooling around a 2x4 would be fine, me thinks.

MNice

The difference is frustration.

WPG Gizmo

How much snow/rain do you normally get?  My Grizzly has 2x4 and/or full 4x4 high and low I use it in the winter to plow my driveway and others near me.  I also use it hunting most of the trails we go in on are old jeep trails that are overgrown and are easily handled by 2x4 drive but when you get to the low swampy spots you really want 4x4.  Hunting season can bring snow and some years it has been deep I have no problem driving in it in 4x4 not so sure how a 2x4 machine would do.

I think you would be more happy with the 4x4 machine that you can put in 2x4 drive then just a straight 2x4 hot rod. 

salmontogue

The answer depends upon where you will ride.  If it is local without a lot of mud and/or snow a 2x4 will be fine except for tearing up your trails.  I use mine for scouting birds, deer, moose, coyotes and new fishing possibilities.  This is Maine and Maine is all about mud, snow, sleet, rain and all about getting stuck far from civilization.  I often ride alone and depend on 4x4 and a winch, the possible difference between easy out and a very long walk.  I also carry long tow straps and a ground spike to use in the absence of trees.

Perk

Dave in Maine

Feet.

If you're in the Poconos with 50 acres to roam, feet will do you just fine.  Other than plowing snow and maybe hauling out your deer, an ATV on that size of parcel is overkill.

JB1

If you are looking for a ATV with 50 acres, you might want to consider a UTV. They are much more comfortable to drive. Either way enjoy.

Remo

I run a Honda Recon 2W drive on the farm. It is enough for me but I don't run trails, just cross country (hills) and checking crops in the fields. The nice thing about a light one is that if you are stuck you can lift the back end out of the ruts and slide it over. I have a 15 gal. sprayer with 16' of boom that I do spot spraying with. Also load it down with fence posts, wire and assorted gear. Goes forever on a tank of gas.

Greg Hartman

I also have a Grizzly that I normally run in 2x4 (probably 90% of the time).  I use it mostly for plowing and hauling heavy loads of firewood.    My machine also has 4x4 high and low.  You don't need those gears every day, but when you need them, you REALLY need them!  Same deal with the winch.  If you are going to use the ATV for work on your place, as opposed to just riding around (if that's what it is going to be for, I agree with the "use your feet" comment above), don't even think about buying a 2x4 ATV - and get a winch on it ASAP.

CptSydor

I have a Yamaha Kodiak 450, 2x4 and 4x4 hi and low. I use it around my 60 acres as a utility vehicle, usually with trailer attached hauling wood/dirt, etc. I also run around the local forest roads/trails for scouting and various other jobs. I don't trail ride, nor do I try to find mud holes. I'm in 2x4 95% of the time, but the 4x4 really comes in handy the other 5% of the time.

You really have to decided what you are going to do with the ATV. If it's really just to move yourself around on relatively dry/hard ground, 2x4 will be absolutely fine.  If you think you will do anything utility based with it, or exploring, the 4x4 is nice insurance. Just like a vehicle however, you are probably more likely to take an ATV into a spot where you need 4x4.

If I went 2x4 as a person pusher, I'd get the smallest, lightest ATV possible. I had a Suzuki LT160 for the longest time when I was younger. It was a 100% recreational, but being so small and I light, I could pick it up and move it out of the worst stuff if needed, but half the time it just floated over stuff. It could go through the tightest woods as well. If I needed something to just zip around, I'd find an old one and fix it up. With 150lb me on it, it would do 50mph.

Still, I'm a big fan of getting the smallest ATV possible unless you really need a large bore bike to do big jobs. I'm often bushwhacking with my bike, so the narrower the better and it's light enough I can still pick up the back end and drag if needed. The 420cc engine in 4x4 low, differential lock pulls harder than I'll likely every need for the small to medium size jobs I do.

GraceinVA

I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 that is 2wd and in great condition. I believe it is a 2003, but it hasn't been ridden much in the last 10 years. It still has the original tires on it. It sits in my garage for a few months, and it gets gummed up (I was putting regular gas in it, but now use ethanol free), the battery dies, or the starter goes. I pay a guy $100 and he fixes it and it runs like brand new until I let it sit again. Then I go through the same process...

If interested let me know. I'd be willing to trade a shotgun for it too. I am motivated to get rid of it as I just simply do not have need for it and I am tired of it sitting in my garage!

For what its worth - I have never taken it anywhere that I needed 4WD...

salmontogue

If you live in northern Maine you have AWD or 4x4 on everything you own and you outfit as many as possible with winches.  My four wheelers, Can-Am 850 Outlander XT and Can-Am 650 Outlander XT, both are 4x4 and have winches.  Both pickups have rear and front receiver hitches.  I have a 15K remote controlled winch on a base that inserts into the receivers.  It's a great tool when you get stuck, a certainty here on the "frontier".  It will happen, the question is when.

Perk

JWP58

I've considered a suzuki ozark to strap a kennel to for driving down two tracks while hunting. It seems the light weight of 2wd would be nice, but 4x4 would be nice...pricey too

terrym

I have owned ATV's for over 35 years and for my uses a 2wd is not the tool. I can drag a bull moose whole out of the bush with my 4x4 350 Big Bear. Done it several times. No need for big bikes unless you use them to play with mostly. 

Moomps

I'm kinda from the school where you use 2X4 until you need it because if you get stuck in 2X4 you have 4X4 to fall back on.  But if you get stuck in 4X4, you only have a winch to use then.  I rarely use the 4X4 on my Polaris Sportsman 500HO, but as someone else said, it's nice to have in your pocket.