REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Flatbed?

I'm in the market for a new (to me, used truck) and I've found one that's a configuration I've never had, but always been intrigued by.

Any of you guys hunt and camp out of a flatbed truck? Particularly a single cab.

Tim Frazier

Had one in high school, a few decades ago!

You could really make it what you wanted if your handy.  I would want 4wd as sometimes a flatbed is lighter than the original and traction is an issue.  Easy to add weight though.

Good luck!

salmontogue

Does this qualify as a flatbed???

Perk

PICT0068_jpeg.jpg

On 9/1/2016 at 0:00 PM, Tim Frazier said:

Had one in high school, a few decades ago!

You could really make it what you wanted if your handy.  I would want 4wd as sometimes a flatbed is lighter than the original and traction is an issue.  Easy to add weight though.

Good luck!

I've got a shop full of woodworking tools, and have been needing a reason to buy a welder... (I already know how to weld and fabricate)

And I won't even look at a truck that isn't 4x4.

As it sits the single cab is what's scaring me. Basically no interior room, I'll fill behind the seat with stereo equipment.

WhatsDaPoint

AEV Ram with flatbed and drop down sides. 

image.jpeg

Cheesy

If I was working for a living and using my truck, it would be a flatbed.  In high school I worked for a farmer and thats all he had, bought as cab and chasis, then put custom beds on them.   So nice having a workbench out in the middle of fields during breakdowns.  He had a vice welded to the corner, and a headache rack with rails for hauling pipe or ladders.  Spare tire bolted to headache rack.  Had a small toolbox behind the driver that was fastened from the inside with a quarter turn lever set up.  Was easy to remove if you needed the space, yet we kept it in 90% of the time because it generally had enough basic tools in it to fix a breakdown out in the field.

MAArcher

A flat bed for hunting and fishing?  Sure wouldn't be my first choice, all my stuff exposed to elements (including the criminal kind).  Nope, I had a locking cap on my pick up and never took it off, so it only made sense to me when it was time for a new vehicle to get an Excursion, that way the dog can enjoy the A/C or heat if she has to ride in the back.  Everything including the dog all locked up tight and dry.  The only disadvantage to a big SUV is what to do if the dog is sprayed by a skunk while out hunting.  

It would be a work truck as well, that's a huge part of the appeal... 

Ive never had a cap, so I'm fairly used to toolboxes to store and lock everything in an open bed, but a solid point. The smell thing terrifies me! I have hunted out of trucks with caps (well, one) it wasn't bad, and I'm actually curious about that setup, but it would probably be a bigger transition. I have sorta considered an Excursion, but not sure I love the engine options. 

MAArcher
10 hours ago, NECarson said:

The smell thing terrifies me! 

If I was smart I'd keep a folding cargo carier on the hitch and a folding crate in the truck so that if she did get sprayed, I could keep her outside the vehicle.  But luckily I've never seen a skunk out hunting, all five of our smelly encounters have been at night.