"BIG WOODS" bucks?

Mark Stella/WV

Mark Stella/WV

How many of you guys hunt the Big Woods during firearms season? I have for 30+ years now. Seldom do I see another hunter where I go. There may be fewer deer but I will take quality over quantity any day. 

Lets see some pictures of some bucks, hunting areas, equipment, and the fellowship of deer camp. I will start.Stellas10amp11pt3.jpg 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stella/WV

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

• Birdcountry70

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last years early fall bow doe.   Big woods bucks not always...Can't eat the "horns"....This is what I'm after starting tomorrow morning in the Maine expanded zone archery hunt. (Urban huntin

Home made cart ?  Those are some nice bucks there Mark.  The area I use to hunt was cut up into 40 square mile chunks with fire lanes for boarders. I hunted this area before tree stands became popular

Cool cart. I know some people who use carts. I suppose there have been areas where I've shot deer where I could have used one. But many places didn't have any established trails or were too hilly and

Posted Images

Mark Stella/WV

Lol.. Runner, I was so far back in a wilderness area I had to quarter, bone, and pack that one out.

image.jpeg

My camp in "Big Woods" northeast Maine. Classic Maine hunting camp and I love hunting the big woods, but most of my bucks, including three over 200lbs dressed came from mid-Maine where I live.

image.jpeg

One of of my bigger boys. 10 pt, 205 lbs dressed.

image.jpeg

The wall at my old house. Top buck was a 9pt, 217 lbs dressed, and has a 24" spread and a drop tine off a strange long main beam.

image.jpeg

My last decent buck shot a few years ago. 8pt, 180lbs.

They are are coming farther and fewer between as my teeth get longer and my beard goes gray...takes a lot of time and effort to shoot a good buck in Maine, given we can't bait. One of my best bucks, not in size but in memories, was one I tracked in the snow and eventually took.

If by "big woods" you mean the 200 acres of undeveloped land behind the industrial park on the other side of town, then yes, all the time.  Although I may not see another hunter because not everyone is willing to park illegally and walk half a mile to get there; from my stand I can see kids playing in their back yards, smell what thier parents are cooking for dinner, hear radios, car door locks beeping, get buzzed by low flying aircraft and have to clime over a mountain of illegally dumped trash to get to my stand.  If I'm lucky a scrawny yearling deer might crawl out from under the back porch of one of the McMansions in the adjacent cul-de-sac during daylight hours and give me a shot.  Its awesome.  A real "back to our roots" experience, just like the pioneers did it.

Mark Stella/WV

Nice bucks Brad. That cabin looks really nice. I'm always reminded of the Benoit family when I see pictures of deer from you neck of the woods.

Mark, those are a couple of nice bucks.  How long do you go for when you are living out of tents like that?  Are you just hunting within as far as you can walk, or are you ATV'ing or 4x4'ing around?  Public or private land?

Mark Stella/WV

Thanks MA. I go for two weeks straight. I bowhunt/scout the week before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving week is firearms season.

We hunt from a base camp which is on National Forest that borders a Wilderness area. We hike in or use a mountain bike on gated forest service road. One side of road is national forest/backcountry and the other side is a designated wilderness area. There is nothing mechanized allowed in the wilderness. Backcountry allows bikes and horses. It is 18 miles from gate to gate.  

Birdcountry70

Big woods isn't a phrase anyone around here really uses.  I can tell you though, that I have killed much bigger whitetail bucks since I stopped hunting for them in the national forests and started hunting the cottonwood river bottoms on the prarie

IMG_20150405_113100.jpg