"BIG WOODS" bucks?

Mark Stella/WV

Mark Stella/WV

Brad, what kind of rifle you use?

Bc70, nice ones. I guessing your set up will shoot into the next zip code on those wide open plains. 

7mag, 300 mag?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stella/WV

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

• Birdcountry70

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last years early fall bow doe.   Big woods bucks not always...Can't eat the "horns"....This is what I'm after starting tomorrow morning in the Maine expanded zone archery hunt. (Urban huntin

Home made cart ?  Those are some nice bucks there Mark.  The area I use to hunt was cut up into 40 square mile chunks with fire lanes for boarders. I hunted this area before tree stands became popular

Cool cart. I know some people who use carts. I suppose there have been areas where I've shot deer where I could have used one. But many places didn't have any established trails or were too hilly and

Posted Images

Birdcountry70
1 hour ago, Mark Stella/WV said:

Bc70, nice ones. I guessing your set up will shoot into the next zip code on those wide open plains. 

7mag, 300 mag?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll catch hell for this but those three bucks were all killed with a 220 swift. Too small I know, longest shot of the 3 was maybe 125 yards.

12 hours ago, Mark Stella/WV said:

7mag, 300 mag?

The 'venomous little bastard'. Remington, Model Seven, in 7mm-08 topped with an old Redfield Widefield compact 1.75x5 scope. Outside of a couple deer taken with a 30-30 and a couple with a .300 Savage (and some bow deer) all have been shot with that rifle.

Mark Stella/WV

I had one of those sweet little Model 7"s in the same caliber several years ago. Mine wore a Burris compact 3x9.

My go to rifle is my old Marlin 336 30/30 I have had since the age of 13. It is light and carries well in the woods I hunt. I shoot the Hornady Leverevolution rounds. It wears a newer Redfield scope these days.photo2.jpg

I have used Remington Core-Lokt bullets. 140 grain for my 7mm-08. I had great results, on big deer, as in dropping like a sack of rocks, and if not, just a short blood trail. But Ive heard their manufacturing has gone down hill and these bullets arent made as well and penetration and expansion is an issue. That MAY just be rumor, I dont know. I may switch this season to another brand since I am down to half a box and my last 8 pt was a sketchy find, with no pass through and no blood trail to speak of...granted it was a straight on shot as he was about to step into my ground blind, but I am a little skeptical about these rounds now.

Anyone have any advice on a new 7mm-08 round for Maine whitetails that wont break the bank?

44 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

+1 on the Federal Fusion bullets.

I shoot a .35 Whelen for UPNorth MI deer. When my favorite Nosler 225gr BT was dropped from their line, I tested some of the "new" deer bullets from WIN, Hornady and Federal. The Federal Fusions shot very well in my Whelen. Heard of some excellent results on game with the Fusion bullet too.

I shot two deer with that 200gr .35 Whelen Fusion load last November; a decent buck and a 200# matriarch doe. Both were DRT; complete pass through the chest on the matriarch. I have found my new deer bullet.

I have heard of too many bullet failures on REM C-L bullets recently.

NB

image.jpeg

Last years early fall bow doe.

Big woods bucks not always...Can't eat the "horns"....This is what I'm after starting tomorrow morning in the Maine expanded zone archery hunt. (Urban hunting in areas where there is an over abundance or potentially problematic deer population) An early season mature doe. Some of the best venison to be had....and a small spike or 4 pt can even be better.

Mark Stella/WV

I hear you Brad. That's a nice doe. I love venison and I would rather shoot a mature doe during bow season any day. Venison burger at its best. :Dphoto%203_1.jpg

Brad, 

Winchester PowerPoints were always the equal of the Remington Core-Lokt. Winchester does make them in 7-08 so it might be worth taking a look at them. Also Federal makes their Federal Power-Shok ammunition with a 150 grain Speer Hot-Core bullet in the 7-08. I see no need to use anything but cup and core bullets in the 7-08 and both of these should fill your needs. I've had very good luck with Speer Hot-Core bullets in various calibers and the little extra weight of the 150 grain should help with total pass through. Only problem I could see is finding the Federal Power-Shok, the Winchester's should be anywhere you buy your Remington Core-Lokt. Winchester or the Federal  wont break the bank purchasing them.

Virgil 

Great info. I do use those Winchester PP loads in my .300 Savage. They simply group better than Remington Core-Lokt.

really good to see so many fellow bird hunters are also deer hunting fanatics too.

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

really good to see so many fellow bird hunters are also deer hunting fanatics too.

Truth be told at least for me is I started grouse hunting because it gave me a reason to carry a firearm in the woods while pre-season scouting for deer. I ran into so many coveys while scouting it only made sense to start taking advantage of my time in the woods.  Now that I have graduated to having a bird dog I would have to say that watching my dog work cover and get on point is as exciting as sneaking up on a big buck. 

Virgil