"BIG WOODS" bucks?

Mark Stella/WV

4 hours ago, Mark Stella/WV said:

We let a young man borrow our cart to get this one out last year.photo%204_1.png

Home made cart ?  Those are some nice bucks there Mark.  The area I use to hunt was cut up into 40 square mile chunks with fire lanes for boarders. I hunted this area before tree stands became popular and loved still hunting the areas. Most locals would only hunt the fringees but being young I ventured off into the middle of these areas and had the solitude of hunting alone. Took some big bucks that way but I have to say the drags out were backbreaking. I've shone this picture before but this was my biggest deer taken from that area. After 5 days hanging it still weighed 265 pounds field dressed. That's me by the deer and at the time I weighed 205 pounds so it gives you some idea of the size of the deer. Many others I took in that area were well over 200 pounds field dressed.

001_zps1786fded.jpg 

003-2.jpg

A much younger me.

Now I'm old and sit in tree stands. LOL

030_zps72263886.jpg

Probably not like the big woods you hunt or what's in Maine but still it's quite a few hundred square miles of woods with very few roads going through.

Virgil

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stella/WV

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

• Birdcountry70

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last years early fall bow doe.   Big woods bucks not always...Can't eat the "horns"....This is what I'm after starting tomorrow morning in the Maine expanded zone archery hunt. (Urban huntin

Home made cart ?  Those are some nice bucks there Mark.  The area I use to hunt was cut up into 40 square mile chunks with fire lanes for boarders. I hunted this area before tree stands became popular

Cool cart. I know some people who use carts. I suppose there have been areas where I've shot deer where I could have used one. But many places didn't have any established trails or were too hilly and

Posted Images

Mark Stella/WV

Wow. That's a pig Virgil !

Like that handgun harvest too!

Yes. We have a couple of homemade carts we use on the national forest and backcountry side. If we are somewhat near the forest road we use the carts. The wilderness side we pack them out. I will dig up some pics of the carts and post on Monday. 

Mark Stella/WV

Here you go Virgil. This cart was made from aluminum exhaust pipe to keep the weight down. We have used this cart for at least 10 plus years and hauled many a deer on it too.CopyofCRANBERRY.jpg

Thanks Mark, nice setup. I'm getting to old to drag em far so I'll have to come up with something like you have made to get my deer out.

image.jpeg

Cool cart. I know some people who use carts. I suppose there have been areas where I've shot deer where I could have used one. But many places didn't have any established trails or were too hilly and wooded and I think dragging was the only real option. (Could be underestimating their utility, never used a cart) If alone which is 99% of the time! I field dress the deer, and cut a pull stick of about two feet long and a little thinner than the average wrist. I gouge a notch in the middle all the way around. I then tie a rope I keep with me at the middle, at that notch, and then tie it to the antlers at a distance that keeps the head just off the ground when dragging. If a doe I tie the front legs to the head etc. If a big one I walk 50 yards ahead moving any big obstacles on the way and drop my jacket, gun and pack, return to deer, reach around behind my back and grab the stick and start pulling. Repeat, repeat, until back to truck. I do admit that now that I'm in my late 50's I do pause when deciding to hunt alone in an area deep in the woods.... I have saved all my drag sticks as momentos and they are at my camp.

That's the same as I do Brad. I also question the usefulness of a cart at times. Throw in a couple of cedar swamps on the way out and getting through with a cart is questionable. BUT I have never used one and would be willing to try to see how it works out. That buck I got  pictured above was a 5 mile drag and I shot that buck right at the end of legal shooting time, if I cut around the cedar swamps instead of going straight I would have doubled the distance. No snow and dark it wasn't fun but I couldn't hoist it in a tree by myself and if left overnight the bobcats and coyote's would have torn it to pieces. I don't think I could do that drag now that I'm in my 60's and have always done most of my deer and grouse hunting by myself it might be an interesting change of pace from dragging. The area's I hunt are wilderness area's and no motorized vehicles allowed so I can nix the quad too.

If I have to drag I pray for a snow base to make it easier !

I prepare my drag the same as Brad with a length of rope and a stick to tie to. If a buck I put the front legs up over the rack and secure them with a piece of rope. By doing this it sure makes the deer more streamlined and the front legs don't hang up on anything. 

Virgil

Cheapest deer cart I have seen, friend in WA picked up a used "off road" baby stoller.  Worked slick.  Lots of guys who hunt elk behind the gate were looking for some way to get that much meat out.  His was was the cheapest I saw & yes it worked, could take a quarter + out easy.

God Bless, 

Samuel Hoggson

Was planning to shoot an NSCA event last Sat, and arrived at the club with everything for the main and subgauges.  But weather was perfect for rifles.  Started talking with a guy about zeroing rifles.  So drove back to Dover and grabbed some stuff.  Headed to Big Pine with 700s in .300 Roy and Win.  My brother and I use them at King and Bartlett, the "big woods".  Both have synthetic stocks, shoot handloaded 180 Rem PSPCLs @ 2900+ fps.  

Took two deer most every year with the Roy.  Bought it after reading a review on Remington's .300 WBY chambering in G&A written by Ross Seyfried, for whom I  always had great respect.  He said his test rifle did 3/4"....at 200 yds.  Ordered mine the next day, and it is every bit that good.  Used to fire a 3 shot group to check zero before season.  That became a 1 shot group for a few years, then morphed into a zero shots group.  I mean, every single year 2" high exactly 12:00 @ 100 yds.  Just sick.  The Win mag 700 is no slouch, either.  

Anyway, at Big Pine the Roy put one 2" high @ 12:00.  So I turned the target 180 deg and fired another shot with the 700 in Win mag.  2" high @ 12:00.  Knew getting two holes 4" apart would be a battle, so thought to bring an old G&H M-54 in '06.  Fired off a full box zeroing, then messing with steel.    

I doubt I'll ever again rifle hunt away from home with a wood stocked anything.  Sentiment, maybe, but out back in the "little woods" I might still take the G&H.  Over the years it has shifted POI but rarely, and never enough to miss at the 150 yd woods edge from where we usually sit.

BTW, killed a few with a .22-250 behind my parent's place in Guilford.  Carried a M-70 Swift several times in NYS, but never had an opportunity to use it.  Both situations involved deer out in the open, where a 100 yd dead run wouldn't be a problem.  I looked through my records and was not surprised to see my avg yards travelled till ground for the .300s was almost exactly half that for the .22 CFs and .243.  Same as was shown in the SC DNR study.       

Brad, Virgil , that's pretty much the MO I use for dragging a deer and I carry a 4' piece of parachute cord for this purpose. The only thing I do different is for a doe rather than tying their head to the front legs  , I cut a slit in their lower jaw coming out under the tongue tie the front legs and run the cord through the slit. When you drag the front legs pull up under the chin and you don't have to deal with the head coming untied etc.

Another trick I've done especially with does is I keep a 8' x 10' +- tarp in my truck. If conditions warrant it I'll get tarp and wrap deer in it, using the grommets and clothesline thick rope to bind it up, with enough at front to tie to a drag stick. This can result in an easy, slick pull. I did that with the bow doe that I posted a photo of earlier.

Two stands so far, one AM and one PM with bow in expanded archery zone. No movement, but it's only a matter of time in this spot before I'll at least see some urban deer. With a bow you never get too confident you'll get a poke at one.

image.jpeg

Target buck. Moving an hour before legal light at a new spot close to house. Hang on tree stand is 40 yards in his direction of travel. This is not in the expanded bow zone, so can't be hunted until October in regular archery season. Then November rifle.