What kind of bow do you shoot?

Breakfast Boy

Breakfast Boy
I spent two days last week at the ATA show in Indy.  Being a recurve shooter, I had forgotten how many bow manufacturers are out there!  GEEZ!!  That show was pretty awesome.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breakfast Boy

• gspbrad

• Brad Eden

• R. D. Gattis

Compound, for the first deer of the season:  Mathews Conquest Pro 70lbs@32".

Then the recurve for the remainder:  Black Widow 62" PSA II 53lbs@31" (45lbs@28").

That's a bad to the bone bow!

Here is a pic of it...getting some wall time now...shooting Carbon Express Heritage 350s through it.  I haven't found 32" wood arrows that shoot well out of it yet.

blackwidhang.JPG

Not to change the subject but.........

Can you tell me what is the shelf life of a recurve bow? I am interested in a black widow pma but because of the price I am reluctant. It is easier for me to buy a nice gun knowing that I will have it for a lifetime but can a recurve (properly taken care of) last for a lifetime?

-Jeff

Matthews Switchback LD (long draw) 31" 70#

Brad, how do you like the Dren? Now that they've got an LD version of it, it might be time to upgrade (it's been almost a year now with this one!!!)

Lurch - 1st off - your new handle is "Gorilla Arms". A 31" DL - are you kidding me. I'll change mine to “Green with Envy” - I'm 27.5 plus a loop and that's on the edge.

I really love my Dren. It took a little while to get it tuned and to really shoot it well. Most of it was my poor form and adjusting to the Mathew’s grip. I'm there now. I practice a lot of 50-70 yard shots. I have a 6" paper plate that I tape to my bag and hit it with high efficiency; 93% of the time. Makes the 20-30 yard shots seem real easy. I love the slim limbs and how light the bow is. It is still very forgiving. One observation – most guys who shoot a Switchback tend to like the SB over the Dren. Don’t know why. I haven’t been in to shoot any of the new Mathew’s bows yet. I figure it’s safer to stay out of the bow shop….for now.

Also, I have a T5 quiver on my Dren which I also love. It never comes off. The bow doesn’t shoot any different.

Fishrising - SWEEEEETTTT!

Breakfast Boy

Not to change the subject but.........

Can you tell me what is the shelf life of a recurve bow? I am interested in a black widow pma but because of the price I am reluctant. It is easier for me to buy a nice gun knowing that I will have it for a lifetime but can a recurve (properly taken care of) last for a lifetime?

-Jeff

A good recurve (or any well built traditional bow) requires even less maintenance than your favorite side by side.  The rest won't wear out anymore than the stock will on a gun.  There is usually a rest of some sort on the bow, so that the arrow doesn't ride directly on the wood.  But that's not always the case.  Do yourself a favor and get a good recurve.  It's money well spent.  Shoot me a pm if you have anymore questions.

And yes, Lurch has gorilla arms.  The man has callouses on his knuckles, where they drag the ground.  The man also does not know how to stock a good beer in his house, but we'll forgive him that minor oversight.

I shoot old dogs:

XI Force One 70lbs, 30" draw 26" XX75 2314

Parker Hunter Mag 70lbs 30" draw 26" XX75 2314

Top the arrow with a four blade Muzzy 130.

260ft/sec, slow by todays standards. But then you have to ask the big question. How far out the far side of an elk does it have to go?

Gselkhunter