• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breakfast Boy

• gspbrad

• Brad Eden

• R. D. Gattis

Breakfast Boy
I want to get into bow hunting, although I haven't yet. My uncle has a new Alpine bow he is going to give me.

You're gonna get hooked!

Mathews outback circa 2003-ish.

Love it and like the looks of the new Dren but there isn't any good reason to trade up yet.

I feel the same way. Its got the mojo goin for turkeys but not deer. :D

bowgobbler.jpg

fall06turk.jpg

Gselk...I still have a few XI bows.  An old school Legend Mag and a Flatliner.  I custom ordered the Legend Mag with a set of 95# limbs.  I use it for deep water carp shooting on lake Michigan.  It's still shooting strong.

Right before they went out of business XI had a bad batch of limbs.  They were blowing up like crazy.  I had one explode at full draw...I'm lucky I was wearing glasses or it would have blinded me.

Right now my main hunting bow is a custom made 75# Schaffer PSE.  I get around 285 fps out of a 560 grain arrow.  I'm a kinetic energy junkie. If I accidentally catch a shoulder blade I still want full penetration, even on bears.

Michael Stenstrom
A Browning Xlerator circa 1984/5 #70.  I am waiting for my first recurve from Chek-mate.  I will post a photo when I finally get it.  I ordered it in April, and they are behind schedule.

My compund is a hoyt, couldn't tell you which one , as I rarely shoot it, but it does get swaped for a new model every other year(my good buddy runs owns the local bow shop,and is a sponsored shooter, so I get his hand me downs) My "good" ones are old Bear takedowns, couple of the mag risers and a couple of the laminated risers, with various limb setups.

Went thru the big horn, blackwidow, schafer, phase, and ended up with the bears.

got the mojo goin for turkeys but not deer. :D

Brad, what are you shooting for broadheads when turkey hunting?  That is my quest this year a gobbler with the bow.  Probably go with the compound first, if I am lucky pull out the Widow for #2.  Do you hunt from a pop up type blind (dbl bull?) or against a tree?

PartridgeCartridge

Black Widow MAII, Greybark 53# @ 27.5"

Port Orford shafts, three big, barred turkey fletches and Zwickey Eskimo broadheads.

Off the shelf.

I was shooting the AR31 and just recently got the PSE XForce

And Bows should come with warnings as they become very addicting

frustrating

and can give you a greater apprecitation for the animal you have just harvested

Breakfast Boy

Great pics, R.D.!  I just talked to Dale Karch at the ATA show last week.  I gotta get up to the shop and pick some stuff up from him.  Great people at 3 Rivers Archery!  How do you like that Tomahawk?  If I was to get a longbow, that would be my choice.

Where's ThornValley?  He should be giving some input on this thread too.  I know he shoots traditional, but I can't remember what kind of bow.

Breakfast Boy

Brad, what are you shooting for broadheads when turkey hunting?  That is my quest this year a gobbler with the bow.  Probably go with the compound first, if I am lucky pull out the Widow for #2.  Do you hunt from a pop up type blind (dbl bull?) or against a tree?

I don't know what Brad is shooting for a broadhead, but I like the Wensel Woodsmans out of my recurve.  Used one on a tom in Colorado a few years back.  But if I was to use a compound, I think I would be shooting the G5's.  Looked at them last week and they look pretty sweet.

I shot my bird from the ground, without a blind.  However, since then I bought a Double Bull blind and LOVE IT for turkey hunting!!  Had buddies shoot birds 10 feet from the blind on a few occasions.  Unfortunately, I spend too much time helping them and have yet to shoot my own bird out of it!  LOL!  That's going to change this April, when I head out to South Dakota.  Gonna tag me a Merriam turkey if it kills me!

Uh-oh.  I feel a thread being hijacked!  HA!  Is it turkey season yet??

I tried expandable Gobbler Getters with the blunt head and lost a well shot turkey once. Really my fault since I rushed out and tried to get another arrow in him and he took wing and soared to canada I think. Lost confidence in that head.

Now I use the same broadheads as for deer. A 4 blade fixed Muzzy 100 grain head with no stopper behind head or anything. I just practice like heck and try and make a good shot at less than 20 yards-15 being about perfect. I haven't lost any using this set-up.

I usually use a one person pop-up blind-an older one cant remember model. And I will construct natural blinds as well. The more you can conceal the better. I use 3-4 hen dekes and use yelps and kee kee calls.

If you have a windy day and the birds are scratching in the woods you can sneak in close enough for a shot. Otherwise I've found it almost imposible to get a decent bow shot without some sort of blind.

Breakfast Boy · Posted on Jan. 16 2008,5:51

I bought a Double Bull blind and LOVE IT

Right on my brother from another. I have two Matrix blinds and they are awesome. The Matrix is the "iPhone" of pop up blinds.