What kind of bow do you shoot?

Breakfast Boy

What are you shooting for broadheads when turkey hunting?  That is my quest this year a gobbler with the bow.  Probably go with the compound first, if I am lucky pull out the Widow for #2.  Do you hunt from a pop up type blind (dbl bull?) or against a tree?

Got my only two last year with 100gr. Grim Reaper expandables out of a DB Matrix (using a Mathews Outback). My 8yr old son had just got his first turkey out of the same blind the day before.

I bought a Gobbler Guillotine head, but my arrow length wasn't long enough and the broadhead was coming too close to my hand for comfort. Got some GG arrows (longer length) to use with them this spring.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breakfast Boy

• gspbrad

• Brad Eden

• R. D. Gattis

This is a timely thread for me.  I decided to pull my old recurve out of the closet to hunt pronghorns this year.

Are there any tips for getting an old recurve up to speed?  It was stored unstrung.  I'm guessing that I just need to tighten the limbs and string.  

I also need some new arrows.  Are there any tricks for measuring draw length?  I have some old aluminum arrows for a compound.  I should be able to use one of those to measure as it should be longer than necessary?  Right?

BB,

Yes, Dale and the staff at 3 Rivers are great people.  Of the longbows I have shot down through the years, which are many, the Tomahawk out performs all.  It is 62”, 60# at 28”.  I shoot Zwickey Delta two blade broadheads on cedar shafts.  

scan0001.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

WilsonMesa.jpg

Hub I have an 80lbs Legacy in the house I used to shoot 3Ds with. Fast bow. The problem with it was the string stretch. I have had serious contemplations of putting it back together with all the new string materials.

I heard the stories about all the bad limbs before XI went down. I have a brand new in the box XI Legend Force one in back up incase my old one breaks a limb. I started with XI shooting an Impact, moved to a Legend XRG, then to a Legend Mag then to the Legacy. But when I purchased the Force One life changed, this is the cleanest shooting most forgiving bow I have ever shot.

I like logs too! The 2314s with the muzzy 130s weigh in at 489grs. Hit an elk broad side and you will have 20 plus inches out the back side and the arrow is only 26”. I love my overdraw. As long as my XIs hold up I will keep shooting them.

Gselkhunter

I have had a couple XI's, shot an Alpine 'rage' for about 9 years - I still have her as a back up.  This year I purchased a Bow Tech Black Ice and like it a lot.  She is still a virgin though.  

The last animal the Alpine took:  

IMG_6440_085_085.jpg

SamOtterKronk
I'll jump in here, as I have been shooting a Black-tail elite take down recurve for the last 10 years.  This archery stuff is pretty darn addictive.

Hoyt Ultamag

Mathews Switchback XT

Bob Lee recurve

Java Man hybrid longbow

The afternoon before I hunt, I shoot an arrow with one of the stick bows.  IF the arrow misses the target all together, I use the Mathews that evening.  If I hit the target, I shoot a few more to see if I can group decent at 20 yards, if I can, I use the stick bow, if I can't, back to the Mathews.   I hope to practice a little more this year so I can take a deer with the Bob Lee.

I currently have a longbow made for me by a good friend, cedar shafts with very old Bear heads(2 blade). I have a bear recurve that I enjoy playing around with too. The bows have gathered some dust since I got the bird dog! I'll get back into it someday.

Fine photos Mr. Gattis!!

I still have my old Xi Impact.  I shot that well but bought it in high school and outgrew the max draw length.  Now it's a PSE Nova.

Okay, so here I go with an ultra-noob question along the lines of "I was thinking of getting into bird hunting and want a dog. Should I get a pointer or a flusher?"

But seriously, I'm thinking hard about getting into archery.  I live in a deer rich state, I could hunt out my backyard (back deck on a good day) and when I was a youth I loved sitting in a deer stand on October evenings.

One of my best friends has hunted everything from squirrels to Alaskan moose with a longbow and I've shot his. It was pretty cool.  He's also happens to be a longbow snob - God love him - and I fear his stern and constant disapproval if I went to the "dark side" of compounds.

That being said, I like the idea of a compound because from what I understand, the learning curve isn't quite so steep and somewhat easier to shoot consistently. They're also pretty neat and there are more local shops selling compounds than longbows.

So if you're eyes haven't already rolled out of your heads, what advice would you give a guy who's thinking about getting into archery and not sure which path to follow?

I'm Switzerland on this right now.

Get a compound bow.

You will likely not get "wicked into" archery with your obsession with bird hunting and a young family, dogs and not a lot of leisure time. Get set up and fitted at an archery shop and after some practice using a string peep, sights and a release you will be proficient enough to shoot deer off your deck. . .

I don't get all this anti wheel snobbery stuff. Its still is basically a stick, string and projectile.

jeff, you get some info on draw lenght and I'll have my buddy that owns a bow shop up here hook you up with a starter rig, you can upgrade from there.