Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

08 weight loss thread

topdog1961

I'm back in, too bad it took a life threatening event to do it.  I had a heart attack yesterday.  Never had a history of problems, ran three miles on Thursday.  We were at a lake and I was pulling the kids on the tube and got the classic symptoms.  I drove the boat back to the dock and called 911.  There was a cardiologist two doors down and he took one look at me and called lifeflight.  I had two arteries with 100% blockage and another with 50-60.  They put two stints in.  A large part of my heart went about two hours without blood.  The doc says damage occurs after about 20 min.  I actually feel good sitting here but if I get up and walk around the ticker is weak and I get a tight chest.  Doc says he is hoping for a complete recovery but it will take 6-8 weeks of cardiac rehab.  Right now I wouldn't make much of a bird hunter.

weight is 243

jmooney
That's wicked scary TopDog.  I'm very glad you are still with us and posting.  Not to the level of what you had but I had my physical last week and my my cholesterol was 257 (LDL 169) so I need to make some serious effort/adjustments so I don't have the same issue you just went through.  I'm back in Monday.

atticus

Topdog I am glad you're still with us!  Mojo heading your way for a Speedy recovery!  

Mr Mooney keep at it!  Use the Maine get together as a target to get that number down.  You can do it!  

It has been a tough week and a half for me.  I sprained my ankle running on a woods trail and had to take a week+ off at the gym.  During that time my daughter turned 21 so there was cake and eating out all around (and a few libations...), followed by her departure for the summer (internship in Belgium) which also necessitated much eating out.  I probably gained a couple pounds but I am back at it.  I just ran 2 miles in the gym, which was impossible only two months ago.  I am hoping to run a 5K with my wife and daughter in September.

Our hunting trip is less than a week away now and, although I am not skinny as I hoped; I am in much better shape.  I'll enjoy our trip and be right back at it in July, hoping to continue the trend towards fitness into the fall hunting season!

topdog1961
235 today.  That is down 8 from the last week and 22 from the new year.  That is a good week but of course it took a heart attack to do it.  I just came from the first follow up and stress test.  Things went well.  They did not push me past a fast walk on an incline but all responses were normal.  The nurse said my heart was pumping at 55% immediately after the heart attack with 50-70 being considered normal.  So apparently no major damage was done, but I insisted I was way above normal before the attack :)   Hopefully I will be back to running soon.  I will follow the low fat low sodium diet religiously so you will see me exceeding my initial goal.  My new target is 185.

topdog1961

228 today.  Down 7 more.  It is amazing what a heart attack will do for your fitness plan.  I am feeling well.  Well enough to have just come back from a two week vacation that included: three days touring DC, a week at the beach (outer banks) that included a charter fishing trip where my 7 year old got his wish to catch a shark (4 footer), and a tube fishing trip down a remote (and ice cold) KY mountain top river with lots of trout, smallmouth and huge rock bass.  Talk about a gorgeous river.  Word of advice, when tubing through rock infested fast water in an open front tube, cross your legs. :p

All is not well though.  I just picked up my first and ony bird dog, Belle the Brit, after having a growth removed from her back.  The vet suspects cancer.  We are awaiting a biopsy.