REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

08 weight loss thread

Briarscratch

So you like cardio Tracy.  WE GET THAT.  

I wish I could run but my Shrek-like physique prevents me, unless we're talking about keeping up with my wildly out-of-control flushing dog.  Then I have no choice.

HAMMER DOG

Oh boy this should be fun to watch. Far as cardio goes, yeah I hate it too but it's a neccesary evil. IF you want to raise your cardio try doing sprints instead of long runs, you will be surprised how much and quickly your cardio improves. Even the Shrek like can do it, so no excuses  :laugh: . Throw in a few hill sprints once and awhile and if ya don't puke your doin pretty good, I do em twice a week now myself.

I put it up before and got some good responses from folks so once again go to www.crossfit.com and sign up. You will get the WOD (workout of the day) with sign up and it will add great variety to your workouts which will keep you from getting stale and bored which kills more workouts than just about anything. IF any of ya are interested I have a ton of links to conditioning sites many which concentrate on body weight work, which kill the excuse of needing equipment.

Best of luck to all involved.

RookieEP
HD-  I'm a big fan of the Hindu Sqwat.  Did them at work, made a nice difference w/ hunting this year.

Briarscratch

I'd suggest everyone do what HammerDog says.  Or else.

This was another one of his recommendations - http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

Awesome stuff.  Brutal, but awesome.  I tried the Sledgehammer Training and it kicked my @$$ bigtime.

Hunshatt
Jeff, chubby couldn't do 75 push ups for a $1,000 per with a 15 minimum, but he did stay in a Holiday Inn once, after a long 3day binge of doing his favorite cardio exercise, the 16oz curl(cept when they have a special on 22oz weights at the local "gym")

Clumber

IF any of ya are interested I have a ton of links to conditioning sites many which concentrate on body weight work, which kill the excuse of needing equipment.

Best of luck to all involved.

HAMMER DOG - I am interested in the sites you mention, though I truly LIKE the weight machines.  Improves my form when lifting so that I am less likely to dislocate my entire ribcage when using free weights.   :p   Otherwise my mind wanders off and next thing I know my elbow is on the wrong side of my arm.  With the machines, even when my mind wanders off (considering pedigrees of possible matchups for our next litter for example...) I can't hurt myself too badly.

If you have any good tips for stretches, flexibility, that sort of thing, I would be particularly interested.  I can't quite get over my pathetic tiny amount of pride enough to try a yoga class... so just short of that maybe? (What! A person with Clumber Spaniels claims to have pride!?)

The new gym has these exercise bikes that apparently have some way new-fangled computer competition screen program that I am interested in trying, but last couple times there those bikes were never free. Probably a good sign that they are fun, eh?

~tracy

K dog
I joined the gym December 10th.  I had one session with a trainer to get me started.  I love it.  Never done the gym thing before.  I go every week day M-F.  I do 30-45 min on the weight machines, abs and arms one day and legs and back the next.  Then it's to the cardio room.  30 min on the treadmill and then 30 min on the recumbent bike.  ! month down and I'm lovin it.  Feel great :D

Clumber
You ROCK Kdog! Sic' em! Good job!

Bloodhound

I'm in again...I was down 4 LBS when last I posted on BB's thread...but then Thanksgiving...and Christmas....The food has been rough, but the nightly 2 fingers of Makers Mark/Buffalo Trace has taken its toll, and I am right back where I started.

44 Years old

284 LBS

6'2"

Goal is 225 LBS

bobman

Weight traing 5 days a week will result in overtraining within about 8 weeks, you will hit a plateau in strength and endurance and then it will begin to decline. Anyone recommending such a routine is misleading you.

Pick 4-5  movements like

Monday

benches

dead lift

lat machine

leg press

thursday

over head press on a smith machine

schrug

narrow grip bench

curls

wrist curls

exercise in your strongest range of motion,

muscles don’t recognize range of motion only force of contraction.

For example take a bench press, the primary target  muscles are the pectorals if you do a full range movement once you get below about three or four inches of the movement you will be using AND BE LIMITED TO the much weaker strength capability of your deltoids and triceps and will never be able to fully stimulate your pectorals, remember muscles only react and GROW by increasing the force of contraction they are exposed to. You cannot do that with full range movements.

after about three weeks of this type of workout you will need to go to alternating workouts every Monday lifting only once per week, because you will need longer periods of time to recover.

I maintained a 500lb bench, 900 plus dead lift, everything I could load on the lat machine and 1000lb many rep leg press at a body weight of around 255 for over twenty years on this workout. My cardiologist made me quit weight training when I was 48 because of a heart valve problem which was not related to weight training but could be complicated by it, I miss weight training dearly.

Weight training will not make you lighter but it will change the composition of your body and make you incredibly strong if done scientifically.

No one can train 5 days a week and reach their strength potential without using regular injections of steroids and vitamin B12  to help them recover.  Thats obviously not a good idea if overall health is your goal.

Key points are

1)exercise only in your strongest range of motion, this will give you the ability to maximally contract your target muscles while keeping tendon and ligament injuries to a minimum.

2) keep records, if you are not able to handle heavier weights than you could in your last work out you need to add two days to your rest periods between workouts.

3) the stronger you get the longer it takes your body to fully recover, if you don’t let it fully recover you will not progress, in fact you will weaken.

4) supplement with a full spectrum antioxidant vitamin regimen, heavy exercise releases oxidants which will damage cells.

5) if you want flexibility stretch carefully when warm at the end of a workout hold stretches a maximum of 3 seconds and repeat.

Weight loss is 95% diet unless you are training at Olympian levels, which it usually turns out also means steroid use.

Over training will result in you giving up your routine, slow and steady wins the race.

Hope this helps.

I'm hesitant to start again, seeing as every diet I've ever been on has been a failure on my part. In other words, the weight always came back. It might tak as long as five years, but, it always ends up back where it was.

My wife and I are joining a gym this year. I'm doing it to increase my flexibility, which has always been poor. I'm hoping this will help me avoid the injuries I've been taking the last few years.

I'm going to try to lose weight, because it will take pressure off my corroded joints, but, if I'm not there with you all in the club, I'll be with y'all in spirit..

And, I'm pulling for all of you to succeed!

bobman

Eliminate alchohol , processed foods of any type and sugars

( soda Ice cream candy ect)not in vegetables and your body will go to its optimum weight its really just that simple.

In other words eat the diet the human body evolved on, natural foods, meat fish fowl vegetables, fruits and nuts and nothing else. This type of diet will keep your blood sugar level constant and that will create a blood chemistry situation where your body fat will gradually be used as an energy source.

Its really the basis of Atkins and South Beach and why they work. Minimize consumption of fruits and nuts until you get to the desired weight then eat them in moderation, both are very good for you.

Processed foods are poison, full of sugar in its many forms, or so easy digested that they wreak havoc on your blodd sugar levels contributing to diabetes and heart disease.

Pat Berry
Eliminate alchohol , processed foods of any type and sugars

( soda Ice cream candy ect)not in vegetables and your body will go to its optimum weight its really just that simple.

In other words eat the diet the human body evolved on, natural foods, meat fish fowl vegetables, fruits and nuts and nothing else. This type of diet will keep your blood sugar level constant and that will create a blood chemistry situation where your body fat will gradually be used as an energy source.

Its really the basis of Atkins and South Beach and why they work. Minimize consumption of fruits and nuts until you get to the desired weight then eat them in moderation, both are very good for you.

Processed foods are poison, full of sugar in its many forms, or so easy digested that they wreak havoc on your blodd sugar levels contributing to diabetes and heart disease.

The aforementioned advice is not a diet; it's a recipe for lifelong eating habits. Not that I actually do that...

The South Beach book is worth reading even if you don't do the diet. It's loaded with valuable nutrition information, and explains why, from a physiological perspective, some food is good and some is bad.

K dog
Weight traing 5 days a week will result in overtraining within about 8 weeks, you will hit a plateau in strength and endurance and then it will begin to decline. Anyone recommending such a routine is misleading you.

Pick 4-5  movements like

Monday

benches

dead lift

lat machine

leg press

thursday

over head press on a smith machine

schrug

narrow grip bench

curls

wrist curls

exercise in your strongest range of motion,

muscles don’t recognize range of motion only force of contraction.

For example take a bench press, the primary target  muscles are the pectorals if you do a full range movement once you get below about three or four inches of the movement you will be using AND BE LIMITED TO the much weaker strength capability of your deltoids and triceps and will never be able to fully stimulate your pectorals, remember muscles only react and GROW by increasing the force of contraction they are exposed to. You cannot do that with full range movements.

after about three weeks of this type of workout you will need to go to alternating workouts every Monday lifting only once per week, because you will need longer periods of time to recover.

I maintained a 500lb bench, 900 plus dead lift, everything I could load on the lat machine and 1000lb many rep leg press at a body weight of around 255 for over twenty years on this workout. My cardiologist made me quit weight training when I was 48 because of a heart valve problem which was not related to weight training but could be complicated by it, I miss weight training dearly.

Weight training will not make you lighter but it will change the composition of your body and make you incredibly strong if done scientifically.

No one can train 5 days a week and reach their strength potential without using regular injections of steroids and vitamin B12  to help them recover.  Thats obviously not a good idea if overall health is your goal.

Key points are

1)exercise only in your strongest range of motion, this will give you the ability to maximally contract your target muscles while keeping tendon and ligament injuries to a minimum.

2) keep records, if you are not able to handle heavier weights than you could in your last work out you need to add two days to your rest periods between workouts.

3) the stronger you get the longer it takes your body to fully recover, if you don’t let it fully recover you will not progress, in fact you will weaken.

4) supplement with a full spectrum antioxidant vitamin regimen, heavy exercise releases oxidants which will damage cells.

5) if you want flexibility stretch carefully when warm at the end of a workout hold stretches a maximum of 3 seconds and repeat.

Weight loss is 95% diet unless you are training at Olympian levels, which it usually turns out also means steroid use.

Over training will result in you giving up your routine, slow and steady wins the race.

Hope this helps.

Bobman, while I do weight training M-F, I have it split up as per my trainer.  I do arms and abs one day then legs and back the next.  I am also not doing heavy lifting.  Doesn't that sound OK to you?  Not looking for big muscles, just a little tightening.  (Don't forget, I'm a 48 year old housewife).  I do the cardio everyday and then hike with the dogs on the weekends.