REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
henryrski

Truck camper

henryrski

I have been thinking (always a bad idea) of getting a slide in camper for my truck, anF250, 4door, 8ft bed. I've looked at a few on line and they are pricey. I don't know if it is a good idea especially for $34,000 plus I can stay in a lot of motels. Anybody have any suggestions as to type or go-no go.

Windrider

If you think you would like RV travel it's a go.

if you just want it for hunting, it's an expensive and time consuming proposition.  

3/4 ton with single rear wheels can get you overloading those back tires with a pickup camper fairly easily.

I've had the opportunity to camp in every type of RV.  If you have a 3/4 ton, you can get a lot of 5th wheel for that kind of money. Easy to hook up and travel with and plenty of room once you get to the destination.

(Traveling down I40 in a motorhome right now.)

Jim Vander

Ive considered this often as well the all in one package is an attractive option. I have looked at a lot of them and finally had a chance to hunt out of one with a friend. Found it very dicey off road and the lack of dog space was a deal breaker. Perhaps if your a 1 or 2 dog guy and hunt solo a lot it could work. 

Curt

I owned one back in the 90's but used it mostly to haul a fishing boat to whatever lake or river I wanted to fish.  It worked great for that purpose if a little cramped, but trips were usually only for a 2-3 days.  Hunting trips might be another story however since I cant' see being able to traverse the tight two tracks I drive to hunt with a camper in the bed.

Having to load/ unload the camper each time you move camp would likely be a real pain.

It seems that Lance and Arctic Fox pretty much own the slide in camper market.

Moomps

There are a lot of good used slide-in's available if you shop carefully.  Make sure that there has never been any water leakage - it'll never be right again.  I picked up a older model that fits my Chevy 2500HD perfectly and my dog and I have been very comfortable during the hunting season. 

camper.jpg

JWP58

A Four Wheel Camper sounds like what you want. They are truck bed campers designed for off roading. I believe you can get basic stripped models too.

mccuha

I had one up until a year or so ago. Like others have said. You can get good used ones for a good price, Leer is a respected brand. Just remember to get one that is rated for your truck size. You don't want to heavy or can really tell it and is really unsafe. Also it is a little cramped but fro a couple of people not bad. Hauling a lot of dogs can be a problem unless you have trailer. I enjoyed mine while I didn't haul it around a lot. I primarily left it at my lease. They are handy and I have had mine off road with no problems. A camper is roomier and would be my choice for long extended trips but for the weekend warrior would be fine. Mine was older and setting up was a little pain but I think the newer ones are a lot better.

bmeador

We bought a new 18' travel trailer this spring, after considering a slide in.  Have a Tundra with an 8' bed.  Cost and not being able to drive off unless you unloaded it were main reason for no go.  Travel trailer weighs 3200 dry.  Towed it up to Maine for a week and it worked perfectly.  Once set up, off hunting we went. 

It was $20,000 less that the price you stated in OP...

Birdcountry70

I've owned 3 pickup campers. The biggest, best ,most expensive one cost about 15% of what the ones you are considering run. I bought them all used of course. I won't get into the features of them since mine were in a whole different (crappy) class comparatively. But my last one had an add on by the previous owner called a stable lift which was a power mounting rack that cured most of what I believe to be the downside of pickup campers. With that setup I could arrive at my hunting spot and load/unload that camper by myself in a couple of minutes and lowered all the way to the ground it was very stable so we could stay in it while it was off the truck. My first one was small and light and I took it to some nasty places where you would never dream of pulling any type of trailer. The trade-off with size is the bigger heavier and more comfortable they are, the more of a PIA they are to haul around. Of course the same rule applies to bumper pull and 5th wheel campers too.

bobman

no drive train no engine no tires or wheel bearings to go bad when it sits unused for long periods and simple to store makes a truck camper a sensible rv if you only have a couple dogs.

Ive considered them also but i would pull a jeep behind it to hunt out of

look at northern lite and big foot both are 4 season and practical but expensive new i would buy used RVs all depreciate rapidly

uplandave

I have been keeping my open for a nice used one for years. I won't sleep in a tent anymore and I really like a bathroom with shower

for obvious reasons.I talked to a guy once who had tried lots of different ones over the years and he loved his Lance Lite.

Not heavy and seemed to have the amenities one would want. Good luck, Dave