REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Uplander

Winter Reading

Uplander

Aside from paying my dues for the year’s trout and partridge seasons by steadily plugging away at painting 3 rooms and a stairwell/hallway, this winter I’ve managed to put quite a number of pages under my belt when it comes to reading.

‘Round about the end of the summer I decided that I needed to reread, or just plain read, more of the “classics” of literature, and resolved to intersperse them with my “regular” reading selections.  With that in mind, so far since Christmas I’ve finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (quite possibly one of the best books I’ve ever read), and A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court, by Mark Twain.  

Currently I’m midway through both Where Spaniels Spring by Kenneth Roebuck, and The Reagan Diaries by Ronald Reagan.  Both are very good.  

As I’m open to suggestions to add to my list, I’m curious; whatcha all readin’ this winter?

gundogpa

up,

I agree on the Count of Monte Cristo.....it was great.

I recently "listened" to a Connecticut Yankee.....it was much better than I thought it would be.

I just finished Coopers "The Deerslayer" Sometimes I struggle with him but it still is a good read.

Another classic that I re-read for the first time in years was "Tarzan the ape man" it was pretty good.

I just opened Cache Lake Country....I bet you'd like that one. (by John Rowlands) It's a kind of cross between Thoreau's "The Maine Woods" and "One Mans Wilderness".

Irish Joe

I picked up two recently from Sierra Trading Post;

For the Love of a Dog, A Selection of Classic Bird Dog Stories          $9.95       orig.- $25.00

The Trickiest Thing in Feathers,  Corey Ford

$10.95       orig.- $29.95

I thought they looked interesting and they were both discounted.

Rex Hoppie
Never feel you must pay dues for hunting and fishing activities.  Big mistake. Do not get into that frame of mind.  I don't know how I can make this clear. Just don't do it.  This is good advice.

Uplander

I just finished Coopers "The Deerslayer" Sometimes I struggle with him but it still is a good read.

Another classic that I re-read for the first time in years was "Tarzan the ape man" it was pretty good.

I just opened Cache Lake Country....I bet you'd like that one. (by John Rowlands) It's a kind of cross between Thoreau's "The Maine Woods" and "One Mans Wilderness".

I've read The Leatherstocking Tales numerous times, and I agree about Cooper's style.

Tarzan.  Good suggestion!

Cache Lake Country looks good, almost like the grownup version of Farley Mowat's Lost in the Barrens which mesmerized me as a boy.  I added it to my Amazon.com "saved items" list for the future.

ScottGrush

Bare November Days

I got a limited edition copy for Christmas.

Uplander
I picked up two recently from Sierra Trading Post;

For the Love of a Dog, A Selection of Classic Bird Dog Stories          $9.95       orig.- $25.00

The Trickiest Thing in Feathers,  Corey Ford

$10.95       orig.- $29.95

Joe, you scored on the Ford book.  It's one of my favorites, and the cheapest it goes for on Abebooks.com is $25.

I've seen For the Love of a Dog before in stores, but never buy it.  Something about it strikes me as overly maudlin.  But, I have the same reaction about Jenny Willow which many people love.  Different stokes and all that....

Irish Joe
I haven't read either one yet. I'll let you know if it was overdone or not!

gundogpa

Something about it strikes me as overly maudlin.  

LOL.......Someone gave me "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" for christmas.    Blech.......

Uplander
Something about it strikes me as overly maudlin.  

LOL.......Someone gave me "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" for christmas.    Blech.......

Uggg....  The War Department has that.  We'll be reading in bed and I'll hear her start to sniffle from some sad "dog dies a noble death" tale.  "Why the Hell would you read something like that and make yourself sad?" I ask.  "Because it makes me feel good" she says.   suspect.gif

I just picked up a copy of Glenn Becks, an inconvienent truth. I also see that Newt has a new book out. I'll probably pick that up after I am done with this one.

Wisconsin

"Aldo Leopold's Odyssey" by Julianne Lutz Newton

Quoting Leopold,

"...the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse....the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre...yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead."

Ken

Brad Eden

I'm just finishing "Strike Dog-A Woods Cop Mystery" by Joseph Heywood. This is about a series of grisly serial murders of game wardens-its pretty good.

I recently finsihed Lundrigans "A Bird in the Hand" and wrote a review that is somewhere on Birddogs Forum.

The next book in line is "For Love of Wildlife-The Journal of a U.S. Game Management Agent" by Terry Grosz.

THAT REMINDS ME I LENT OUT MY "HUNTING THE SUN" BOOK BY LUNDRIGAN AND CANT REMEMBER WHO TO. WHO HAS IT?

Hunshatt

Zip Zap, and Jenny Willow, so far. Jenny was a bit melancholy, zip was good

Bird Dog(pointer training, who'd a thunk) Ben O Williams

In queue for reread, High lone some call, and a hunters road.

Then I may have to jump back to reread the Gierach fishing stuff

Also have the Gps manual (haven't a clue how to enter the way points I've aquired) , google earth instuctions, the guide for planting transponders on vehicles , and a couple of online maps

WPG Gizmo
So far this winter I have read Stick Season Grouse by Ross then went on to Grouse and Lesser Gods by Lundrigan.  Now I am moving on to The Everlasting Stream by Harrington I watched the show with Paula and she got me the book for Chirstmas.