REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Uplander

Winter Reading

I like reading James Patterson, Nelson DeMille, and those darned "be a better salesman" books.

But, none compare to Geoirge "Bird" Evans. I can read a nreread those books again and again. I agree with Tim about "A Hunters Road" by Fergus. Larry Brown's book was a good read.

I can't get through Aldo Leopold, and Ivan Turgenev. But they both make my library look more "intellectual".

My next book is William Harnden Foster's New England Grouse Shooting. I've had it for a few years, just never got around to it. I hope I get around to it soon. It's only over 100 years  old.

Hunshatt
I hope I get around to it soon. It's only over 100 years  old.

Aren't you also??? :D  :D

rprovines

Been wading through some lighter writings at the moment, trying to get caught up so I can start a couple of books by an author new to me; James Alexander Thom. Historical fiction if I look at it correctly, looking forward to it.

And might I just add here that I'm more than a little ticked off at G. R.R. Martin's tardiness at getting the next Song of Fire and Ice on the shelves.

Checo

I recently finished "A Brief Autumn's Passage" by Steven Mulak.  I thought it was a great book.  Next on the list is, "Drummer in the Woods" by Spiller and "Timberdoodle Tales" by Waters.  I hope I like these as much as the first.

Checo

Brad Eden
By the way-I have stacks of donated books right here in my office and some training videos too. I'll try and put together some sort of Winter Book Auction for Upland Auction Forum. I'm saving some good ones for any raffles we get organized this year too.

Ben Hong

Hey Brad, I still have your "Jenny Willow" and Lundrigan's "Hunting the Sun". The latter is a good read, "Jenny Willow" is too shmalzy for my liking.

Right now I have several disparate books on the go. I am re-reading Hill and Smith's "Outdoor Yarns and Outright Lies", a book of Chinese philosophy and a couple of food related books. Of course there's always a book of poetry on the bedside table...best sleeping medicine there is I tell ya. :D

martydavis
Currently I'm reading through the Bible again and I also have Gene Hill's "Passing A Good Time" on the table next to my chair.  Nothing like a good book when the weather is nasty cold outside.

Brad Eden
Hey Brad, I still have your "Jenny Willow" and Lundrigan's "Hunting the Sun". The latter is a good read, "Jenny Willow" is too shmalzy for my liking.

Great-I knew I had lent it out not lost it. I'll get them this summer when you come down to Scarborough. I agree on Willow-many really like it but I found it too maudlin for my tastes.

atticus

I too have been catching up on the classics, both literary and sporting.  I reread Spiller's "Grouse Feathers" and "Drummer in the Woods" recently.  Reading them is like visiting an old friend.  I also read Ruark's "Old Man and the Boy" and I'm almost done "Horn of the hunter" both for the first time and both are terrific.  

As for the classics, I finished Kipling's "Captains Courageous" recently which is great, as well as Hemingway's "The Old Man and The Sea" another book I've always enjoyed.  

I always enjoy this type of thread; some great suggested reading.  I think I'll check "the Count of Monte Cristo" out of the library.

River19

I don't usually start with the grouse reading until spring and summer to get through to fall.  So these are what I have going now:

Alaska's Wolf Man - The story of Frank Glaser

The Mountain Biker's Training Bible - Friel

Becoming a Chef - Dornenberg and Page

I have several of the classics that have been read and love the GBE's stuff along with Spiller.

Steve

chad1043

I'm reading a few books right now. I'm in the middle of "A Thin Red Line" about World War 2. It is a lot different than the movie, which was awful. I haven't decided how I feel about it yet. It seems to leave me pretty depressed.

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books. If you have the time I would suggest "Lonesome Dove". It is very, very good. Much better than the mini-series, which was also very good.

I would also throw out there "Sword of Shanarra" by Terry Brooks. If you like fantasy, it is hands down in the top three best books out there. His later stuff like Larry McMurtury is not anywhere close to the original stuff.

:) Also, Tom Clancy is an awesome winter author. Along with Grisham.

Peace,

Chad

walks with gun
I've been reading about everthing I can get my hands on lately but really enjoy Lundrigans books, like his writing style and I've been hunting some of those areas since  I was a kid and know some of the people he writes about.

redtop

Not reading anything in the classic range,

Non-fiction " A Concise History of the Crusades"

Just started a page turner " Liberal Facism" by Jonah Goldberg

A real eye opener. suspect.gif

Russell
I just finished the Stories of Old Duck Hunters. I have some more bird hunting books to read but first I need to finish The Jungle by Sinclair.

Uplander
I would also throw out there "Sword of Shanarra" by Terry Brooks. If you like fantasy, it is hands down in the top three best books out there. His later stuff like Larry McMurtury is not anywhere close to the original stuff.

The first 2 books (The Sword of Shannara and The Elfstones of Shannara) in the Shannara series are among my favorite "fantasy" reads.  I've never been able to get into his other works in the series, although I did borrow Armageddon's Children and The Elves of Cintra from the library this past summer and they weren't too bad....