Sign in to follow this  
Uplander

Winter Reading

Ben Hong
I noticed that several people have mentioned "The Count of Monte Cristo". May I suggest another of the same genre? Get a hold of "Scaramouche" by Rafael Sabatini. In my mind, every bit as good as any of the old cape and sword novels.

chad1043

Uplander,

If you enjoyed the Shannara series, I would highly suggest R.A. Salvatore's Drow Elf series... That would start with "The Crystal Shard" And moves on from there. There are roughly 14? books now... The main character Drizzt is probably one of the best know fantasy character in the D&D world.

Also, I didn't mention but if any of you have not read the Lord of the Rings series, it is the best of the best of the Fantasy world.

As far as Westerns. Gone to Texas/The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales sereis is the best I have read, way better than the movie, which is probably my top three western movies. The second book, The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales is hands down excellent. Clint Eastwood was gonna make the sequel, but they decided not to do it.

Chad

bkelble

Well, I read the Great Gatsby Orson Scott Card's 7th Son.  Both those were for the American Lit class I taught.  Just reminder reads for those two.

I got A High, Lonesome Call by Holthouser for Christmas.  It was quite good and it was cool to read about hunting in North Carolina.  The author lives in the country next to me.  

I also have reread the Hill books I have and some Woolner and Taylor's Hunting North American Upland Birds.  Then I read The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told and The Best of Field and Stream.  

Legends of the Fall is up next.  Oh yeah, I read the first 3 books of the Narnia series.

Lurch
I don't get to read too much anymore, but over the past two weeks ripped through four Carl Hiassen books, "Lucky You", "Skin Tight", "Sick Puppy" & "Tourist Season". The guy's hilarious!

shorebird

I was fortunate to receive several books for Christmas and have read a few of them. The first was "A Rough Shooting Dog", by Fergus. That book made me want a ESS. I added to my Frank Woolner collection " The Complete Book of Woodcock Hunting" which was very informative and a surprisingly good read. I partially read the L.L. Bean Guide to Hunting Upland Birds and Have Burton Spillers "Grouse Feathers" in the waiting for when I finish " A High Lonesome, Call".

On the same note, I have really been enjoying my subscription to Gray's Sporting Journal. I know it's just a magazine, but the articles and pictures are really first rate. Nice to see that in a periodical.

chad1043

shorebird,

Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered The Fergus book.

Chad

rprovines

If you enjoyed the Shannara series, I would highly suggest R.A. Salvatore's Drow Elf series... That would start with "The Crystal Shard" And moves on from there. There are roughly 14? books now... The main character Drizzt is probably one of the best know fantasy character in the D&D world.

Ugh, my oldest son got me hooked on that series, excellent stuff. Got all of it scattered around various lendees. Salvatore has something new out, don't recall the details, again, the son was telling me about it.

RASKE

I just finished "The Day Of Battle" - The War in Sicily and Italy 1943-1944 by Rick Atkinson which I received for Christmas this year.  It's an interesting insight into the trials and tribulations of the various general staffs of the Allied invasions.

I'm currently reading John Geirach's flyfishing book called "Standing In A River Waving A Stick"  

Probably will be my last book until our move is complete.  So much to do, so little time.

Bob

atticus

Raske,

Atkinson's first book on the war, "An Army at Dawn" was terrific.  Thanks for the reminder; "The Day of Battle" is now on the list.

Brad Eden

I just finished "Strike Dog" and was quite let down at the end. A real missed opportunity to finish this mystery book with a bang-instead it petered out with a whimper. Oh well.

I had forgotten about another book which I started last night. "They Used To Call Us Game Wardens" by Bill Callies. It's a "self-published" book by his family. He requested his writing not be published til his death in 2003. It's about him as a Minnesota game warden from 1960-1980. He became a game warden at age 43. I love these self-published books that may not be professionally or slickly written but tell real stories etc.

Graywood

Just started Richard III for my Shakespeare class. So far I am thoroughly enjoying it.

-Taylor

my son, just this afternoon, gave me a lightly used copy of The Wonderful World of Trout by Charles Fox he found somewhere on his travels this past week.

Raske,

Atkinson's first book on the war, "An Army at Dawn" was terrific.  Thanks for the reminder; "The Day of Battle" is now on the list.

I finished 'An Army at Dawn' tonight.  I'll be picking up 'The Day of Battle' tomorrow.

Briarscratch
And might I just add here that I'm more than a little ticked off at G. R.R. Martin's tardiness at getting the next Song of Fire and Ice on the shelves.

Yeah, no kidding?   George needs to dust off that typewriter before I forget all the plot lines.  

I've been reading some of Cormac McCarthy's older stuff - the Orchard Keeper and Suttree.   Not bad but it ain't no "No Country".  Before that I was reading a lot of Steven Pressfield's ancient warfare stuff centered around Alexander the Great.  Need more of that blood and guts stuff.

Hub

I always get a few loosely related hunting and dog books from the family.  This year I got "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting " by Frank Miniter.  John and other more politically minded types would probably get a hoot out of it, but it wan't my favorite.

I also received "The Dangerous Book for Dogs" by Rex and Sparky.  It's a parody self help book for dogs written by dogs.  I set it next to the throne and have made my way through it.  It's not an all out laugher, but it does produce a few chuckles.

I'm rereading Spiller's Grouse Feathers because I'm too lazy to get out and pick up anything new.  I'd like to read a few more of Lungrigans books, but I can't find them locally and I've been too lazy to order.

---p.s. add me on to the list of other Fantasy Dorks who love RA Salvatores Dark Elf Trilogy.  I've read them all several times.